Sign in to follow this  
tschaid

Ford Tuning Software & Equipment

Dan asked me to provide links and such to the tuning software I utilize for my 2004 F150.  The following links illustrate the software and XCAL2 programmer. 

http://www.sctflash.com/product_racer.php

It is important to point out that Superchips Custom Tuning does not sell either of these items directly to a consumer.  They need to be purchase through a dealer.  If anyone is interested, I have worked with a real good and knowledgeable dealer in the Northern Illinois Area.  He will generally provide the software, XCAL2 Programmer, along with some basic tunes.  If the target vehicle is a F150, I would be happy to provide, free of charge, a tune for E85 that will get you started.  I will not; however, do so without a written AS-IS NO LIABILITY agreement.  I will never tune a vehicle that does not have the requisite gauges or for anyone who is not serious enough to monitor and report results.  The liability is just too great.   Lastly, I will not help anyone tune a vehicle that will be burning gasoline.  Fossil fuels are absolutely wrong for our environment and wrong for our economy. 

Tuning requires good knowledge of the mechanics of an engine and drivetrain, as well as, a dedication to monitor and understand the results.  This doesn't come quickly; but, it is achievable by anyone who has the motivation and desire.  The end result is a significantly heightened knowledge and understanding of your vehicle.  Along with a freedom to change your vehicles performance whenever you desire.  You want better fuel economy, you can get it.  You want more performance under varying conditions, that's doable as well. 

Tschaid, I am new to this forum and have some questions for you. 

I have a 2006 f150 5.4 that burns ethanol.  I would like to get the mileage up from 9-10mpg on ethanol, and get it to run better.  I read your other post about the tuner from f150 online, and have recently contacted him.  It seems they do not tune for e85.  If I purchase a tuner from him, can I use the sct pro racer software to create my own e85 tune later?  Can I accept a tune from you without the sct software?  What gauges do I need to monitor my truck?

My concerns are that I will have to keep a gasoline tune, because e85 is not available everywhere I have to drive.

Thanks

I have a 2006 f150 5.4 that burns ethanol.  I would like to get the mileage up from 9-10mpg on ethanol, and get it to run better.  I read your other post about the tuner from f150 online, and have recently contacted him.  It seems they do not tune for e85.  If I purchase a tuner from him, can I use the sct pro racer software to create my own e85 tune later?  Can I accept a tune from you without the sct software?  What gauges do I need to monitor my truck?

My concerns are that I will have to keep a gasoline tune, because e85 is not available everywhere I have to drive.

Thanks

Bruce.. Tom has been busy getting a daughter married off and such ..you may need to send him a PM so when he does log he see's his presence is requested  :D

I believe he has also put off  finishing his ethanol still until spring ..

Thanks

Bruce.. Tom has been busy getting a daughter married off and such ..you may need to send him a PM so when he does log he see's his presence is requested  :D

I believe he has also put off  finishing his ethanol still until spring ..

Dan,

Thanks and thanks for everyone's patience.  2006 was an incredible year both from a very exciting and postive standpoint; but, also from a not so cool standpoint.  Yes.  We did have a wedding for our daughter.  It was wonderful and fantastic and my wife and I did everything we could to give her the wedding of her dreams.  It turned out very well and she married a very nice young man.  The not so cool was one week before the wedding my now 25 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  This was a huge shock.  My son and I spend hours together working on vehicles and this really tore him down..... temporarily.  He is a strong young man and has completely rebounded attacking this terrible disease with the same fervor he goes after everything else. 

Now.  From a tuning and ethanol standpoint.  I sent Bruce a personal message and will communicate directly with him.  Yes.  I can help; but, we will need to discuss requirements before.  I am not a professional tuner and really don't want to get in that business.  I will help as much as I can get anyone started and will provide as much direction as required to help avoid some of the pitfalls I hit.  My 2004 F150 is past 23,000 miles since being converted to run on Ethanol and experiences absolutely no problems.  My HP and Torque numbers are 10% -15% higher when compared to the best gasoline tunes I have seen.   This translates into about 40 HP and 50 ft/lbs of torque extra.  Again, this is not because I am that damn good.  It is because I am working with a superior fuel.   Oh and by the way.  I have solved the cold start problem too by dumping more fuel during the crank lambda cycle when the engine is cold.  Today the temp never exceeded 18 degrees and I never had to go to the second ignition cycle to start it. 

Dan is absolutely correct on the Ethanol production front.  Every day I look at my still and want to fire it up and every day I resist.  The TTB (formerly ATF) issued a permit to me with the qualification it must be produced in a detached building.  I poured the foundation for a 400 square foot building before winter; but, am just too old to be working in the cold so I will wait until spring.     

Anybody looking to do tuning on Ford EECs should check out what BinaryEditor (BE) with the Moates Quarterhorse (QH) can do.

I've personally worked on the 89-93 Mustang 5.0L definition files, with A LOT of help of another guy that lives in the UK. The 89-93 Mustang EECs consist of 3 strategies GUF1, GUFA, and GUFB often referred to as the GUF* or GUFx defs. They are so similar that any discussion of one 99% chance applies to the other 2. Since I had influence on how the def files were developed, I made sure they support E85 conversions without Injector Slope trickery the way all the other defs for BE AND other tuning softwares require.

I've personally done a lot of work on those 3 defs for general EEC tuning. But because I have aspirations of doing an E85 conversion at some point, I made sure some E85 support was put into them. Unlike most any other tuning software, the GUFx defs have a scalar setting, Z_AFR, to let you adjust what kind of fuel you are using. You can literally load the Quarterhorse with 4 identical tunes, where the only difference is the Z_AFR scalar and the Injector Cranking PW function to varying concentrations of ethanol. So when you can't get E85 and have to fill with gasoline, you can flip to a tune that is setup for lesser concentrations of ethanol (i.e. E40 or E50). In the winter when E85 is actually E70, you can flip to a tune that's setup for E70. And when having to run gasoline, you can flip to a tune to run straight gasoline or E10 (assuming you live where E10 is forced on you).

Another nice benefit of the QH over the TwEECer RT (the next best thing to the QH), the QH can execute a tune of a different strategy than the EEC you are running it on. The most common scenario is someone with a GUF1/A9P EEC wants to run a GUFB-based X3Z tune as their starting point. A more interesting scenario is 90 3.8L SC V6 T-bird which has a GURE EEC strategy can use the QH to run a GUFB-based tune. The GURE strategy is supported by BE, but to tune a GURE-based tune requires that you purchase the GURE def file from one of the two guys that maintain GURE (I don't require payment for maintaining the GUFx EEC defs). But someone found that GURE EECs are physically similar enough to the GUFx EECs that you can run a GUFB-based tune on a T-bird GURE EEC no problem and glean the benefits and maturity of the GUFx defs that very few of the other supported defs benefit from. I have no doubt that other EECs from similar year vehicles could also do the same thing.

For those interested, here are the 89-93 Mustang EEC catch codes that belong to each of the GUFx defs...

GUF1 (used on automatic GTs):

A9P

A9M (some mislabelled A9Ms from Ford are actually A9Ps)

A9T (Police/State Patrol Mustang Tune, not emission legal for civilian use)

C3W

C3W1

GUFA (California Emissions):

A9S

8LD

GUFB (used on Manual GTs):

A9L

A9M

A3M

A3M1

A3M2

D3D

X3Z (93 Cobra w/24lb injectors & 70mm Cobra MAF)

S0Z (Japanese 5.0L with all emissions stuff disabled)

For more info on EEC Tuning, visit the FAQ section at the EECTuning.org website.