Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Corn is food

Michael Pollan’s book is quite popular and an easy read. He is not concerned with cost of corn…he is concerned with corn in food. He probably would be delighted to see 100% of corn to ethanol.

DDG utilized as high protein feed a good healthy development. Same with what Green Field accomplishing with algae and left over distillery waste water This process more like farming and outputs 1/3 more feed upon the process. Very high quality plant based feed and 10% bio-oil. Would guess most ethanol plants would adapt the Poet cellulose process with dual anaerobic digesters and the Green field algae process for waste water.

Just read “Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Pollan. The book makes some good arguments, but based on loose philosophy and with zero input from agri-business. Much of it pure hippie idealism framed within good writing skills to tell a story. Can’t argue with his premise food quality and return on investment upon small farms would call for a drastic change in operation. That this would be another avenue for agriculture to market direct to consumer. Also, more grass less corn better for bovines and quality of meat. Industrial food production not much concerned and may never be able to produce top quality healthy food. Home yard farming and small local farms may continue to increase in popularity for quality reasons. Very hard to mass produce eggs and meat with chickens walking, flapping pecking, and scratching about. Feedlots not ideal either. Shipping food thousands of miles not a good use of resources as food is so perishable. Guess, the citizens need to improve cooking and food preservation skills as well as gardening and animal rearing. We can modernize this and optimize as this appears to be the most ideal production of food.

Don’t use food for fuel…..how often we hear this. Guess that would imply hydrocarbon fuel is virtuous? Current inflation, speculation, and low value of the dollar are putting the food fight to forefront of energy dollar expenditure. Ethanol opponents claim utilizing corn for fuel will raise the cost of food. Well, corn is technically food and ethanol demand will pull more corn consumption and in turn should spur market price. Agree with than logic. But to claim the price of corn directly magnifies price of all food stocks, is a bit of a stretch? But again we know corn products are omnipresent component within the commercial food industry. That evolved as result of low cost. So, now it’s unfair to find other uses of corn and raise the cost to those established in exploiting low cost stocks for low cost production costs? Remember oil was cheap once. Is it, likewise, unfair to find more use and other products for petrol? Should we limit the plastic production, fertilizer, asphalt, wax, and heating oil use? Don’t use fuel for heat and plastic as this will raise the cost.

Ya, this Pollan guy a Jew yuppie with little agriculture experience, but tells a great tale upon the corn industry. He routinely explained all of nature per some nutty evolution results. My example, man developed opposing thumbs, hands, arms to eat. His example, corn has learned to exploit farmers....suckers...they do my bidding and Mr. corn gives them some kernels.

He presents a Frankenstein imagery and health to corn food. Also, the mechanization and chemicals just a easy out for farmers to take a vacation. Now at this point I realized Pollan has no steady job. In another time we would have called him a bum. But, upon modern time he appears to gain much fame and all to happy to ponder what the agri business is doing wrong. 

This is the third recommendation I have to read this book now...

One from a very far to the right-winger, one from a very far left-winger I know, and now a third recommendation from an ethanol enthusiast. I have to read it now.... :laugh:

It’s a popular book, one of my daughter’s favorites. She bought the book for my b-day present. Yes, I would recommend as the book is an easy fun read, just understand read it for entertainment value. Amazon has expert info on weakness and biases of book. Be sure to balance out info there.

The author does get bizarre with evolution theory. He implies corn is controlling agriculture per advanced evolution skill. The guy pokes fun at religious people. That’s odd as his hero in book a self described religious Conservative Libertarian Environmentalist. Also, ADM, Cargill, Pioneer, equipment manufacturers, Purdue Farms, McDonalds, super markets, cattle feed lots, organic farming, and U.S. Ag dept all in cahoots to exploit farmers. Hybrid seeds a conspiracy as the petrol fertilizers, fuel, and chemical sprays. Farmers are dumbed down to tractor driver status and none can financially support themselves. Old ways superior and sustainable but produced little profit for politics and corporations. Modern farmers with only 70 acres that sell direct to consumers make a decent living/profit. Shipping food is horribly wrong, yet customers that drive three hours to pickup a chicken is good. It’s the old Mother Earth dream works we all love to envision until reality hits. Really, not much new in the book. Old arguments re-packaged and made within good story telling skills. He has no up to date info on ethanol and energy stocks or ddg market or health benefits thereof. Nothing about technology of no till, rotation crops, gps guidance, and soil technology. No info on the animal nutrition science, he merely implies all that is ever done is feed sick animals ever more corn and to get rid of excess corn ADM is continually inventing new chemicals to force feed unwitting public bad nutrition. Corn syrup is his best example. In his ideal world we would walk to nearest local farm to purchase daily wine, cheese, vegetables, and butchered meats. We spend a fortune, but remain healthy with walking and eating home prepared meals. We spend most of the day concerned with food and eating around the table for hours. France it appears the most progressive society for the masses. No petrol required. This the recommendation from the wealthy Yuppie whom appears to do exactly this.