Sign in to follow this  
1outlaw

This Will Be An Interesting Study When Complete

Though there would still be idiots bleeting on about the "30% fewer BTU's" BS...  ;) :laugh:

The reciprocating assembly for my ethanol engine is on its way, should be here next week. The goal of this particular engine is to show that BTUs dont mean as much in regards to a liquid fuel as people assume. :)

Trying to get an engine to run on both 100% gas and 100% ethanol is the problem, because gas wont work where ethanol works its best, but ethanol will work ok where gasoline does its best. Its not fault of ethanol that gas cant handle more compression and heat. :) Mine wont use anything less than E85, and really it wont live with pump gas at all.

I'll start a build thread on that engine when the parts arrive.

If I remember right you built some engines and your own ethanol,  did I remember right guess I am getting old my old mind is tired these days must be old age lol.    Well all I can say its guys like you that keep the ideas flowing in this country,  keep us posted love to hear these things.

Ive converted two of my cars to ethanol, but they had both been running gas. This is the first high compression engine built with an eye towards economy on ethanol, even if it is 7.5L. I figure if I can make that thing get good mileage, then its a no brainer with something like a 3800 v6 that already gets good mileage while making ok power for smaller cars. One of those is in the works eventually as well.

No worries, when I get all the parts here I will start a thread and keep it updated. I should also be able to make enough fuel this year to supply at least one of my vehicles with it.

CVT's are OK from a shifting standpoint, though I don't know if they will ever be good for all-out mileage.  Honda designed one of the most efficient CVT's ever mass produced and offered it in the Insight.  Still 5-speed mileage was rated at ~68mpg and the identical car with the CVT was ~54mpg, or about a 20% penalty with the CVT.

CVT's are OK from a shifting standpoint, though I don't know if they will ever be good for all-out mileage.  Honda designed one of the most efficient CVT's ever mass produced and offered it in the Insight.  Still 5-speed mileage was rated at ~68mpg and the identical car with the CVT was ~54mpg, or about a 20% penalty with the CVT.

That is why I still like manual trans for my daily drivers--however- I would venture to say that most folks are not that interested in being aware of operating conditions/best operating parameters to max engine life or mpg- that either requires a knowledge of "how things work" or at least a good study of the operator's manual and remembering to apply what it says. Even big trucks still use gearboxes but recognizing many drivers cannot get the most from them--many have gone to an automatic electronic shift gear drive for best mpg.

just thinking a bit down the road... but if the black gas cap means it takes only gas (per auto industry ;)), and the yellow gas cap means it can take gas or e85...

What color gas cap should the "e85 or higher only!" auto have? :confused: ;D

How about silver! (white lightning, clean, clear...) Just a suggestion!

I found that you can spray paint the stock gas cap quite well with the new plastic spray paint as I did on my conversion (thanks JonnyEnergy!)

just thinking a bit down the road... but if the black gas cap means it takes only gas (per auto industry ;)), and the yellow gas cap means it can take gas or e85...

What color gas cap should the "e85 or higher only!" auto have? :confused: ;D

How about silver! (white lightning, clean, clear...) Just a suggestion!

I found that you can spray paint the stock gas cap quite well with the new plastic spray paint as I did on my conversion (thanks JonnyEnergy!)

Mine has a lock on it. :)