Sign in to follow this  
1outlaw

An FFV production bill is introduced

I did not have time to delve into this bill to see what it entails:

Lugar Introduces Dual Fuels Vehicles Bill

U.S. Sen. Dick Lugar introduced today the “Dual Fuel Vehicles Bill of 2011.”  The bill will provide future vehicle owners a choice in fueling options through the production of vehicles that can operate on multiple fuels.

“In order to rapidly decrease our dependence on imports of foreign oil, we must expand domestic energy production from strategic resources like biofuels and from unrecovered domestic oil reserves,” said Lugar.  “This low cost bill will enable greater utilization of biofuels made from a variety of sources but ultimately leaves that choice to the consumer as Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFVs) can utilize gasoline or ethanol blends.” 

Automakers are currently selling dual fuel vehicles that can operate on ethanol-gasoline blends of up to 85 percent ethanol, but currently FFVs make up a low percentage of new vehicles sold in the United States.  Because well-made vehicles can exist in the nation’s vehicle fleet for decades, producing more FFVs now will ensure that motorists will be able to choose ethanol when more is available in the future through increased production from diverse feedstocks such as agricultural wastes.  A typical vehicle operating on an internal combustion engine would need only inexpensive and simple modifications to be dual fuel capable.

For more than a decade, Senator Lugar has stressed the strategic importance of energy security and the economic and security risks of dependence on oil. His legislative efforts promote increased fuel economy, sustainable energy production and use, incentives for renewable fuels like cellulosic ethanol and E85, and clean coal.

For more information, including a copy of the bill, please visit:  www.lugar.senate.gov/energy.

Yeah I seen that earlier today ....I think that is at least 5 different bills now for some kind of mandating of FFV's..  They just never make it to the top of the heap I guess.

I suspect the only way to get a FFV mandate of some sort is to attach it to a larger bill..In Obama's State of the Union Speech tonight..again he is pushing against oil and for solar , nuclear , "clean coal"" bio fuels etc.. so maybe the next big Energy Bill Congress works on they can get a FFV added

If the Political Right can get their "clean coal and NG ..and the Political left can get their solar and biofuels then maybe a new Energy Bill passes this year and someone can slip the FFV manadate in when no one else is looking  ;D

Same here, "clean coal".  ::)

This is so dumb, it is not even funny anymore.

But I liked "A typical vehicle operating on an internal combustion engine would need only inexpensive and simple modifications to be dual fuel capable."

Passed it on to our Government affairs VP, wonder what his comment will be. And yes, I used the same phrase from above.

Greetings!

I have followed a few of these on the senate and house websites in the last few years, they never "got out of commitee."

I am going to write my newly elected Senator and explain that I am not a corn farmer, not an ethanol employee, but just a concerned citizen.  And explain that ethanol is an excellent transportation alternative that will soon be able to be created from many sources. I am just a citizen who wants a choice of fuel and choice of vehicles, and that should not be mutually exclusive.

Maybe that will help this stick in his memory down the line if the bill goes anywhere?  ;)

It's common knowledge, we need all energy sources especially for benefit of growing economy and to make our economy more competitive. Oil is critical for our current needs. We allowed our energy supply to be so susceptible, that international supply could derail our economy.

Nuclear long term most respected solution. Coal our ace in hole energy supply and the lowest cost energy source. Natural gas would occupy the next most valuable energy source. Wind and solar beneficial to augment much needed increase supply demands as biofuel. They do need to work on it all. Coal for instance will be utilized globally for a long time. Better for environmentalist to push clean coal technology for wide distribution. The U.S. is in a good position to develop this technology for benefit of environment. Same for bio-fuel development. Were in a better position to supply this technology for international export, more so that batteries that rely on rare metal supply. But, again, all of it is to economically valuable to simply rely on foreign supplies.

Our petro exploration support companies the best in world. This sector very attractive upon U.S. wealth generation. Much to valuable to allow to waste away. Good to keep the golden goose busy and growing. Unless we experience financial disruption whereupon all energy needs stall, we all will have our hands full producing as much energy as possible. Their is room upon the table for all and the best reason of all the vehicle fleet should be flex fueled period.