Sign in to follow this  
Perry519

Gasoline Additives and E85

Techtron is one of the better ones out there- it is the common one used in a more diluted form for several gas brands that offer a "Top Tier" gasoline. That said however- the most ideal additive in E85 is  ------- nothing- especially in E85 made with natural gasoline for the hydrocarbon 15%. Our company cars have anywhere from 240,000 miles down to 165,000 miles on them with virtually all E85 and they have never been treated nor had an injector issue. They have run almost all E85 and what they run does not have gasoline for the 15%- instead it has natural gasoline (a C5 pentane) which contains 0 additives. There is nothing in ethanol to cause injector fouling and it is a good enough detergent itself to keep the 15% hydrocarbon (gas) from fouling anything except in a very few rare E85 converted performance cars. GM used to have a message on their FFV fuel filler doors to "use no additives"-- this is because most additives are old school and made for straight gas and could cause issues in E85.

Corey is correct- it is a waste of your money unless you want to use it in a gas engine. It is safe to use it but not necessary in e85.

Perry, I do occasionally use Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, running just 20% to 30% ethanol. Produst states compatibility to E85 but not to use in ethanol higher that 85%. At one time seemed like was increasing mileage but I have never been able to accurately measure MPG under conditions controlled enough for proper measurement.

So I have to admit I cannot determine any benefit to additives at my ethanol percentages either, but still throw a few bucks into this additive every few months.