Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Iran: Gas going from 40 cents Gallon to $2.69

The overnight price rises — gas rising fourfold in some cases — follows upheaval in the heart of Ahmadinejad's government. Last week, he abruptly dismissed longtime foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, while he was on a diplomatic mission to Africa in favor of interim replacement, nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi.

The move sends a message that Iran's leadership had tired of Mottaki's challenges to Ahmadinejad and sought a more unified government at a critical time. In his first public comment, Mottaki on Sunday called his blindside firing "un-Islamic, undiplomatic and offensive," according to the semiofficial Mehr news agency.

In Tehran, meanwhile, riot police took up posts around the major intersections as the subsidy cuts took effect. There were loud complaints by consumers, but no signs of the violence in 2007, when the government imposed limits on the purchase of subsidized gasoline.

Under the new system, each personal car receives 60 liters (16 gallons) of subsidized fuel a month costing 40 cents a liter ($1.50 a gallon) — up from the just 10 cents a liter. Further purchases of gas would run 70 cents a liter ($2.69 a gallon), up from just 40 cents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101219/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_iran_economy

ethanol is strictly prohibited in Iran...

but they can use other biofuels, like canabis :-)

as i know it is legal or "almost" legal there :-)

:laugh:

We have a large Somalia community in Minnesota and they "fuel up" on a plant called Khat.. Different cultures can be pretty funny.. they simply seen nothing wrong at all with chewing the weed all day long..and they could until recently..Minnesota just made Khat illegal

Back to Iran ..Wonder if Ethanol would be illegal because of the alcohol (religion) ?

but they can use other biofuels, like canabis :-)

as i know it is legal or "almost" legal there :-)

So THAT's  how they get their flying carpets off the ground.. 8)

I don't think that applies to fuel ethanol. I remember seeing a story some back about Iran producing ethanol as a way to hedge against the effects of sanctions.

http://edition.presstv.ir/detail/90788.html

Seems I also remember something from a while back about Brazil and Iran working ion a deal to supply ethanol to Iran. I think our diplomatic efforts put that deal to rest though.

Back to Iran ..Wonder if Ethanol would be illegal because of the alcohol (religion) ?

About a year ago there were articles talking about a Muslim scholar claiming the use of fuel ethanol in a vehicle could be considered a sin. Here is one of the headlines.

Saudi muslim scholar calls ethanol fuel use a sin - MotorAuthority

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1032391_saudi-muslim-scholar-calls-ethanol-fuel-use-a-sin