Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

Al Gore Reverses View on Ethanol, Blames Politics for Previous Support

Al Gore most be getting paid off by anti's.  I knew there was a reason I hated Gore

Al Gore Reverses View on Ethanol, Blames Politics for Previous Support

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in Europe that he only supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation caucuses state of Iowa.

Speaking at a green energy business conference in Athens sponsored by Marfin Popular Bank, Gore said the lobbyists have wrongly kept alive the program he once touted.

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first-generation ethanol," Reuters quoted Gore saying of the U.S. policy that is about to come up for congressional review. "First-generation ethanol I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small.

"One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president," the wire service reported Gore saying.

Credits for corn ethanol subsidies expire at the end of the year unless Congress moves to renew the $7.7 billion annual program. Opponents of the corn subsidies say that it removes valuable food products from the table because the U.S. ethanol industry drives up the price of corn.

Reuters reported that Gore attributed a variety of factors to the food pricing crisis that has emerged, but that biofuels definitely have had an effect.

"The size, the percentage of corn particularly, which is now being (used for) first-generation ethanol definitely has an impact on food prices," he said. "The competition with food prices is real."

Ethanol production this year will reportedly consume 41 percent of the U.S. corn crop and 15 percent of the global corn crop. Last month, the Agriculture Department said corn crop production would fall this year and attributed the decline to the increase in the price of corn.

More than half of all corn production in the U.S. goes to feeding livestock. On Monday, Agrinet news reported that the USDA's world outlook board has found that the quality of corn production, despite the lower production level, had improved livestock weights, making beef, pork and chicken healthier and therefore able to feed more people.

Reuters reported that Gore had less concern about second-generation ethanol production, which does not compete with food since it uses chemicals or enzymes to extract sugar from fiber in wood, waste or grass.

"I do think second and third generation that don't compete with food prices will play an increasing role, certainly with aviation fuels," Gore reportedly said.

The Media Research Center's Noel Sheppard noted that as vice president, Gore was the tie-breaking vote in 1994 when the Senate voted to authorize ethanol production. Sheppard said that those who question Gore's motives behind the climate change movement that landed the former vice president a Nobel prize and Oscar should also look to his comments on ethanol.

"So more than 10 years ago, Gore supported an expensive, 'not good policy' because he thought it would help him get elected president. Yet media don't believe he'd misrepresent the threat of manmade global warming in order to become extremely rich," Sheppard wrote Monday.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/22/report-al-gore-reverses-view-ethanol-blames-politics-previous-support/

Actually agree with "It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first-generation ethanol' 

quit paying the Oil Companies to do the blending..they are already mandated to blend

The blenders credit should be phased out ..some of the funds should go to high blend infrastructure and the rest back to the taxpayer ..IMO

Just finished up some reading on tier 4 diesel technology and tier 2 gasoline engines. Come to find out sulfur contaminant upon fossil fuels the most problematic chemical to foul up converters, sensors, and promotes methane, N3O, as well as particulates. EPA published 4,300 deaths, 10,000 acute bronchitis, and 10,000 more respiratory health problems to be avoided when establishing the low sulfur fuels and advanced engine technology.

My reading did not reveal the comparison of ethanol fuel to petrol, nor the pollution requirement technology required for ethanol. At most a sentence on the technology will allow burning of alternative fuels.

EPA, does work within the petrol and automotive businesses to determine best plan action. Have they worked with ethanol businesses? Chemistry upon combustion of the myriad carbon compounds found in petrol must be amazingly complicated. So, where is ethanol outed as preferred fuel composition with extreme purity of simple molecule and the ability to greatly simplify the chemistry?

I was listening to Michigan Agricultural alternative energy forum, where they reported the chemistry of fuel and problems within pollution. One point stuck in my mind and they spoke often of, “The gasoline portion within ethanol, the major problem”.  So, where is the development upon automotive, EPA, and ethanol for E100 pollution free fuel?  EPA lists the “Master Plan” for transportation fuels and the tier approach to minimizing pollution. The goal is zero pollution. The last tier of transportation vehicle will fart out bee pollen and play song bird music. Of course only a few government employee’s able to afford such a vehicle.  One problem of the EPA agency, they have tunnel vision and will only push their control within a sector they can push and avoid the politics of global or even private citizen actions. Since they have both energy and business sectors by the short hairs they can do what they wish. Voting public a different story, but if they take away choice the public will be trapped into expensive solutions.

So, again where is this rant going? Well, I suspect ethanol is treated as a needy step child to the elites and powerful upon the Hill. The fuel dangerous to the Master Plan as it could short circuit progress. It appears the energy sector now collaborating and support the central control power base and will be rewarded for doing so. The Master Plan requires stop gap energy in which natural gas and oil can fill, but all will understand the compromise. Not so with renewable fuel. The Al Gore revelation of dishing corn ethanol may be the start of dishing all bio fuel as poor choice.  I do not see the clear good vs evil of corn compared to the rest. Corn, grain, or starch ethanol is just easier to pick off. The threat is corn ethanol can move ethanol ahead at a quicker pace.  The market is pretty good in dictating winner status, problem is the elites do not want any problems a brewing with out their consent and control. Diesel and bio-diesel extremely hard to pick off as no battery could compete. Not so with light vehicles and the threatening popularity of ethanol fuel. A direct threat to the beloved battery car as it is complicated to determine the real environmental benefit between the two. I posted once of NPR Science Friday broadcast and interview with the X-Prize winner. The segment was introduced with the following conundrum “and you won’t believe what fuel the car is using”.  Now, I read of the inventor pride and wisdom upon choosing E85 fuel and the fuels ability to achieve the highest mileage upon the race conditions. Do, you know even with prodding from the  show host the X-Prize winner would not go upon public airwaves touting the fuel and benefits….he merely said the fuel made no difference it was the light car technology that made the difference. 

There will always be people like Gore that are against whatever we have now and all for something that is just over the horizon. When he supported ethanol it was just over the horizon. Now he is against corn ethanol and for cellulosic ethanol which is just over the horizon. When cellulosic ethanol gets here he most likely turn against it and point to something else as what we should be working towards.

A tax on imported oil might have more immediate effect than a gradual rampdown of subsidies to either corn

farmers or terminal blending operations. If the import tax were to somehow be adjustable to the price per

barrel, it might also help contain the cost of speculation.

I'd also like to see the relationship of DDGs and meat production operations become more closed loop. This should

be taken care of with market economics, but somehow it hasn't been happening   

Or- is dear Al just supporting his own investment?

From Green Hell blog----

"Gore then went on to support so-called second generation technologies which do not compete with food, for example cellulosic technologies which use chemicals or enzymes to extract sugar from fiber in wood, waste or grass. He said,

“I do think second and third generation that don’t compete with food prices will play an increasing role, certainly with aviation fuels.”

Is this a genuine mea culpa on the part of Gore or crocodile tears?

If we turn to the investment portfolio of the venture capital firm of Kleiner Perkins Caulfield and Byers (KPCB) where Al Gore is a partner, we find that KPCB has invested in Mascoma Corporation, whose business is cellulosic ethanol. Here’s how KPCB’s web site describes Mascoma,

Leading in the development of bio and process technology for cost-effective production of cellulosic ethanol, an inexpensive and source of renewable energy. Cambridge, MA

In 2008, Mascoma received $61 million in financing from a group that included KPCB. In 2006, KPCB was part of a $30 million financing package for Mascoma.

And who knows what other cellulosic ethanol ventures KPCB and Gore have going?

The Reuters reporters didn’t ask Al Gore about his cellulosic ethanol business interests and, of course, Honest Al Gore didn’t volunteer those revealing tidbits either.

So while Al Gore appears to be lamenting bad policy that he supported, instead he is really just trashing corn ethanol in hopes of advancing cellulosic ethanol and his investment in Mascoma."

Like Dan -the credit on E10 is redundant--and like Greengenes- a tax on imported oil would be good also but I am unsure with all of the trade agreements if this is even legal anymore.

Now that the Elections are over the Ethanol Politics is now back in the "Main" part of the Forum..

All I ask is  Lets just not turn it into a Yahoo comment nonsense..

That said ..  I actually like Gore but what a dickhead..easy to support next gen ethanol without slamming first gen..

Have to say though..not often you here a Politician say he supported a specific "Lobby" just for the votes ;D

In other words:  Political comments are alright as long as they agree with you,  Dan?

Yeah that's right rufus :rollseyes:  I set out perfecly clear rules for Poitical Discussions but you and Sacramento decided you dont like rules..  you want to bitch and whine do it elsewhere