Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

mid level blend question?

for new(ish) (2003 or newer) non FFVs, what if any fuel filter issues would a driver encounter if they had only used e10 thus far prior to using a blender pump?  I didn't know how much petrol related gunk would be flushed clear by these mid level blends...?

A long history of E10 should have cleaned up most of the gunk, but it doesn't hurt to slowly transition to higher levels (like E30 for awhile).

OTOH, if a gas filter is cheap and easy to get at, go for it. I'm used to the $100+ filters in the tank (which I never had to replace).

A long history of E10 should have cleaned up most of the gunk, but it doesn't hurt to slowly transition to higher levels (like E30 for awhile).

That would be my thinking as well.

Best approach I would think (If they dont have blenders) would be 1 additional gallon of E-85 per fill up until they reach the blend they want...with the winter blends now in effect I am going to have to go back to the blending calculator and use E-70 and E 10 to get to my actual desired mix.

I was thinking about the folks "back home" who now have 2 blender pumps in the area, and soon to be 3...

I was just wondering for these folks who are not looking to push it up to the CEL (like WE would ;)), who just want to go from e10 up to e30...  would it be advisable for them to use e20 for a couple of tanks... see if the computer likes it?  THEN go up to e30...?

If it is a newer car, and they've always used e10, the filter shouldn't be any issue.

OK  then....

That's what I do, consistently run E20-E30. I have only pushed it on occasion.  Initially I had statred with using E85 and E10 so probably was near E30 or sometimes higher right away with the car I started splash blending with (a 1995 grand Am 6-cyl)...which had 80K on at the time I started doing that.

So if the goal is to use E30, just pump it on in with 1/2 tank of the E10 already in it, then go E30 from there. If you are going to push it to the limits up to like E50, then yes do go gradually.

Five gallons of E70 in a 15 gallon tank, topped off with E10, would get you E30, less if you still had some E30 in your tank.

My wife gets great mileage with E30, but her 09 Mariner also has a wide-band O2 sensor.

for new(ish) (2003 or newer) non FFVs, what if any fuel filter issues would a driver encounter if they had only used e10 thus far prior to using a blender pump?  I didn't know how much petrol related gunk would be flushed clear by these mid level blends...?

Hi Husker for a long time I have been blending,  I started with 20%  for two months.  One of the cars was near new the second car 5 yrs old.    I got a cel one time from that mix,  it turned off once I added  a few gallons of gas.  I have never had another issue and I am now running over 60% in fact way over 60% and it just doesnt matter they both run sweet.