Sign in to follow this  
1outlaw

Guy convert motorbike to E85 -- and it destroys itself on gas

Remember our thread about gas being hazardous to your health and engines? ;D

Quote from article below;

"The reason that trip went down in smoke - literally - is because an attendant at a full-service gas station in Thorp filled up the pocket bike with regular unleaded gasoline.

"It blew my engine," Dillman said. "He filled it up with E10 instead of E85 - a biofuel I converted the engine for. It's the whole point of the trip."

http://www.wiscnews.com/portagedailyregister/news/article_ae9d334e-ed59-11df-ba64-001cc4c002e0.html

Motorcyclist’s record quest passes through Portage

Scott Dillman gets to the east side of Reedsburg Wednesday on part of his Guinness World Record 500-mile journey on a mini motorcycle.

Ken Leiviska / Capital Newspaper .

..Traveling on the side of a county highway at 45 miles per hour on a vehicle that's 3 feet tall might not seem like a great idea, especially when semi trucks whip by at 60.

"Those big trucks can just about push you over," said Scott Dillman, who has also nearly been run over by deer and even the horse of an Amish buggy while riding his 48.5 cc Yamaha YSR50, a miniature motorcycle.

But it's all worth it for Dillman, who is going for a Guinness World Record for longest journey on a pocket motorcycle; the record to beat is about 450 miles. He said he was hoping to make the entire 500-mile trip that included a drive through Portage, Reedsburg and Baraboo in just one day, but problems with the bike would turn this day-trip cruise into a multiple-day marathon.

"This is actually round two," Dillman said. "My first crack at it didn't work out. I had one guy pull over a few days ago, and he said, ‘I saw you riding that thing two weeks ago.'"

The reason that trip went down in smoke - literally - is because an attendant at a full-service gas station in Thorp filled up the pocket bike with regular unleaded gasoline.

"It blew my engine," Dillman said. "He filled it up with E10 instead of E85 - a biofuel I converted the engine for. It's the whole point of the trip."

Dillman said he decided to attempt setting this particular record has little to do with his desire for a seemingly obscure Guinness record and more to do with generating publicity for a fuel source that can be made with biological matter like corn.

"It doesn't make sense for us to continue to import a majority of our oil from the Middle East - a volatile area - when there are other options," he said. "With our farm base in Wisconsin, it would make sense for us to lead the charge in this (biofuels). We should be able to set the standard in Wisconsin to run E85 vehicles."

Turning the pint-sized Yamaha from a gasoline-running machine into a biofuel-loving pocketbike was relatively easy, Dillman said, and he expects to convert his truck into an E85-guzzler as well. He had a mechanic in West Bend increase the amount of fuel intake, which has allowed the bike to run.

After the first attempt failed, Dillman dialed up a second go-around for Sunday. He ran into a few more issues along the way, but he was able to overcome them until he got to Reedsburg.

"I hit a huge pothole when I was first getting into town," Dillman said. "I just didn't see it and it took out my exhaust."

His journey, which began from his hometown in Lamartine, a few miles southeast of Fond du Lac, had come to a screeching halt. But he didn't give up.

After getting his girlfriend to pick him up, Dillman worked on his bike for several days back at his home. He drove back to Reedsburg Wednesday morning to complete his journey, which originally took him northwest through Wautoma, Wisconsin Rapids and Thorp.

The second stint of round two began at 12:45 p.m. Wednesday from the Kwik Trip on Reedsburg's west side. His course took him east down highway 33 through Baraboo, Portage and Beaver Dam, before heading back up into Lamartine.

"It's been an adventure," Dillman said.

And while he hopes to create some awareness for biofuels, Dillman said the trip has offered a lot more than that to him, including a lucky chance encounter with a drywaller named Jamis Anderson.

"After my engine blew outside of Thorp on my first try, a guy picked me up in Stanley," Dillman said. "He drove me all the way back to Lamartine - we're talking a three-hour trip - that night for nothing.

"You hear about people going out of their way to help other people, but he drove three hours out of his way and then back," he continued. "It's a really good memory."

Hmm interesting article,  what did I miss cant his cycle run on both I mean my car can.  Is it because it is converted striclty to ethanol.

I am sure it is carbureted rather than fuel injected like your car. With computerized fuel injection the fuel delivery rate is automatically adjusted relative to air intake AND needed A/F ratio for fuel type due to the readings from the oxygen sensor in the exhaust. With carbs there is no automatic change in air to fuel ratios- only a given amount of fuel will be delivered per amount of air injested. What this guy (and carb'ed racers) had to do is enlarge passageways, jets, squirters (if equipped), possibly bowl/float changes, etc in the correct ratios and once done- you cannot run gas again (it would run very rich). My guess though is that he also changed the compression ratio via a different piston or by shaving the head/block to optimize it for ethanol and in doing so it now is so high of compression it detonated on the much lower octane of pump gas vs E85's 105 octane.

Perhaps a clearer way to think about this is that with gas 1 # of fuel is needed with 14.7 # of air but with E85 we need 1 # of fuel for every 9.8 # (approx) of air the engine gulps in. A carb cannot adjust this by itself but your car can with it's computer.

Another way of thinking. The liquid oxygen doesn't occupy or take up volume within the combustion chamber.  Air is 21% oxygen so IC engine cubic engine, as result, large to be capable to suck in enough air to support combustion of a small amount of fuel.  Enter in ethanol that carries liquid oxygen capable of supporting 14% of it's combustion with no air. In general an ethanol engine could be 1/3 smaller in cubic displacement.