Sign in to follow this  
Greengenes

UL may suspend listing new E85 pump

Guess I better not use names here but I talked to the co op manager again---- Seneca Pump rep. for our area said DNR is using the theory that the use of E-85 renders the tank unfit for gasoline use----nothing to do with grant money. On an aside note, this Seneca rep is the same guy I talked to several years ago that said it was physically impossible to blend 10/90 and 15/85 %'s with blenders---that the draw from each of the two tanks had to be more like 60/40  45/55 and so on. 1outlaw and the guys from SD have already disproved that theory.

Well thats interesting..  and makes no sense.. Unless Gasoline affects and breaksdown a mertial used to manufacture ethanol tanks in Iowa?  Dont supose he could expand why its "unfit"    other than he was at a loss and it's just sound right to him to say that at that moment ;)

Guys- Seneca Tank Co. is being short-sighted in my opinion, maybe they feel that they will sell more tanks if companies put a tank in for every product. There is no reason you cannot go from ethanol to gasoline or diesel in a steel tank-in fact the tank will be the cleanest it ever will be at that point. The only concern would be the unanswered question that hopefully UL will answer--- will pump seals have swollen in the dispensers and a conversion to a non-ethanol product start to leak?-This could be the DNR's concern, if they even said this to Seneca. I am assuming we are talking fiberglass clad steel tank here- I have no interest in ever using all fiberglass tanks (singlewall). The main reason you may not be able to go away from offering E85 is if you received a grant or a clean fuels tax credit to install it.

As far as costs go- the $200,000 I had mentioned in the past was for canopy, computers, utilities connections, pavement, 2-12,000 tanks, piping, labor, 2 high end blender dispensers w/cash accepters. To put it in an existing station that has most of that already would be 30-60% of that depending on what they do and what is useable.

Just read this

EPA Investigates Blended Ethanol

Posted by Cindy

Most cars are manufacturer-approved to run on up to ten percent ethanol blended with gasoline. Flex fuel vehicles can run on up to 85 percent. But the Environmental Protection Agency is looking into whether 20 or 30 percent ethanol-blended gasoline meets Clear Air Act standards.

At issue, according to this story in the Aberdeen (SD) News, is that so-called blender pumps “are marked for use by flex fuel vehicles only. However, they operate the same way as regular gasoline pumps, so customers with non-flex fuel vehicles are able to put higher blends of ethanol than are deemed acceptable into their vehicles.”

There are very few stations in the country offering multiple ethanol blends at a pump and the EPA question has already caused them to be shut down in South Dakota until the issue is resolved.

Wuhoo! Now if we can just get the factories to backdate or revise ethanol compatability figures for their cars. That might best come from the OEM/replacement suppliers, though. No auto "factory" manufactures everything in house. Subsystems of cars get farmed out. But the chassis, bracketry, and engines usually stay in house. Delphi, Bosch, Nissan, Unisia, etc... manufacture many many subsystems for cars. Raybestos might not make the OEM brakes for your car, but one of their subsidaries does. I push for modifying our existing infrastructure to accomodate existing parts because these international companies don't just make parts for the USA. We may be the largest consumers of darn near everything but that doesn't mean it's all made here and everyone does things just like us :lol:.