Sign in to follow this  
Greengenes

UL may suspend listing new E85 pump

This in the Farm Bureau Spokesman that came today.  Sen. Chas. Grassley is pleased to announce that DOE has awarded 1.5 million $'s to Iowa Clean Cities' program. Kum and Go of W. Des Moines will use the funds to help install E-85 pumps in 24 existing stations in the midwest. 19 are in IA.  Just  think, that is $62,500 per tank and pump of "free money" to help with the install. I wonder what the total price per install will be doing it this way?

This in the Farm Bureau Spokesman that came today.  Sen. Chas. Grassley is pleased to announce that DOE has awarded 1.5 million $'s to Iowa Clean Cities' program. Kum and Go of W. Des Moines will use the funds to help install E-85 pumps in 24 existing stations in the midwest. 19 are in IA.  Just  think, that is $62,500 per tank and pump of "free money" to help with the install. I wonder what the total price per install will be doing it this way?

Those Kum and Go stations are all over in Iowa .  I wonder if they will be able to simply convert some pumps over instead of installing totally new tank  .

I recall 1outlaw from renew quoting roughly 200K for a new tank and pump install ?. I'll look for the thread

Dan, I'd bet that Kum and Go will install a new pump and separate tank. That's why 1outlaw's system with the blender pump is the way to go. The little town I live in could have E-85 by swapping out the two existing pumps for blenders and modifying a pipe from one of their underground tanks that would be for straight ethanol and be in the 0,10,and 85% business for a lot less than the way Kum and Go will probably  do it. DNR says that when UL approves blender pumps, it will be OK with them but until then. The other good point for blenders is there will not be E-85 sitting unused in a separate tank.

Dan, I'd bet that Kum and Go will install a new pump and separate tank. That's why 1outlaw's system with the blender pump is the way to go. The little town I live in could have E-85 by swapping out the two existing pumps for blenders and modifying a pipe from one of their underground tanks that would be for straight ethanol and be in the 0,10,and 85% business for a lot less than the way Kum and Go will probably  do it. DNR says that when UL approves blender pumps, it will be OK with them but until then. The other good point for blenders is there will not be E-85 sitting unused in a separate tank.

Mornig Cessna..I use to live over in Waterloo (20 years ago).  Cant believe the Lind Brothers hasnt added E85 on all their Stations . When I visit family I need to drive outside of town to Hudson about 5 miles away to fill up on E85

I guess I need to go back and read up on these blending pumps, wasnt their also a lobby group fighting to keep them out of use ?  A tank manufacturer ? I may be thinking of somehting else

I don't know about the lobby group thing. When I travel south blenders are everywhere but with a different mission---- there is a tank of low octane gas and a tank of premium and the pump pulls fuel from both tanks to make the inbetween octane ratings. In Carthage MO a few yrs. ago I saw a 5 button blender dispensing 87,89,91,92,and 93octane. All those ratings came from 2 underground tanks.

I don't know about the lobby group thing. When I travel south blenders are everywhere but with a different mission---- there is a tank of low octane gas and a tank of premium and the pump pulls fuel from both tanks to make the inbetween octane ratings. In Carthage MO a few yrs. ago I saw a 5 button blender dispensing 87,89,91,92,and 93octane. All those ratings came from 2 underground tanks.

I went to educate myself a little more on these blender pumps and look at this !

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/article.jsp?article_id=2033

Just talked to my cousin the co op elevator manager that would like to install E-85. Our Iowa DNR says if you install an E-85 tank and decide it doesn't pay you can't put gas in the same tank----sounds like some really good thinking going on in Des Moines. >:(

Just talked to my cousin the co op elevator manager that would like to install E-85. Our Iowa DNR says if you install an E-85 tank and decide it doesn't pay you can't put gas in the same tank----sounds like some really good thinking going on in Des Moines. >:(

? I would bet that ONLY apllies to those who recieve Iowa grants to install E85 tanks ..and that makes sens e

Guess I better not use names here but I talked to the co op manager again---- Seneca Pump rep. for our area said DNR is using the theory that the use of E-85 renders the tank unfit for gasoline use----nothing to do with grant money. On an aside note, this Seneca rep is the same guy I talked to several years ago that said it was physically impossible to blend 10/90 and 15/85 %'s with blenders---that the draw from each of the two tanks had to be more like 60/40  45/55 and so on. 1outlaw and the guys from SD have already disproved that theory.