Sign in to follow this  
Greengenes

UL may suspend listing new E85 pump

I saw this posted on the NEVC website.

Has anyone been affected by it ??   Personally , or business-wise ??

Here is the link to the (MS Word)  document:

http://e85fuel.com/whatsnew/oil_express_on_ul_issues_10.16.06.doc

Absolutely amazing ..thanks Ggreengenes  Thats huge and if Oil isnt behind it you can bet they will play this nonsense up for all it's worth

Area E85 pumps in use despite safety action

Despite the lack of a key safety rating for gas pumps that dispense E85 fuel, gas stations in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan yesterday continued to sell the ethanol-based vehicle fuel.

Fire marshal offices in both states said they haven't decided whether to order operators to stop using the pumps, even though fire codes in Ohio and Michigan require the dispensers to have a safety rating.

Local fire chiefs in areas where E85 is sold said they were unfamiliar with the safety issue and likely would wait for recommendations from their state fire marshals.

"I would think they would let us know if they want us to do anything about it," said Ray Friend, chief of the Antwerp, Ohio, Fire Department in Paulding County.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061024/BUSINESS01/610240387

Dan- I do not have the link at home but I received a link at work today from the NEVC that UL stated while there were no known incidences of problems - they made the move they did because they need to study their approval process before they move into approving a dispenser for fuel they have less experience in. This is not a quote but my summary of what I read. Meanwhile I guess we "wait for the paint to dry".

Dan- I do not have the link at home but I received a link at work today from the NEVC that UL stated while there were no known incidences of problems - they made the move they did because they need to study their approval process before they move into approving a dispenser for fuel they have less experience in. This is not a quote but my summary of what I read. Meanwhile I guess we "wait for the paint to dry".

Well that certainly seems logical forthe UL towant to know as much as possible before issuing a UL certificate BUT  it just makes you wonder if their wasnt some backdoor lobbying going on to force them to do this last minute reversal ..incentive or pressure

Not paranoid just skeptical that at the last minute this issue pops up ..

Hopefully it is taken care of next month instead of "years" as was mentioned in one article I read

New York Times picked it and and is meeting with the oil companies for solutions ?

"underwriters Laboratories and the Department of Energy are holding two days of hearings next week at the testing group’s headquarters outside Chicago, inviting oil companies, automakers and researchers to help develop standards for E85 equipment

#$%^%^$&^%*$

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/business/27ethanol.html

And BP says :  "British oil company, said on Thursday that it would delay the expansion of E85 at its American gasoline outlets until the laboratories certified an E85 dispensing system. “BP is tracking this issue very closely,” Valerie Corr, a company spokeswoman, said. "

%$^&$^&$&%$**$

Update :  Timing Associated with the Development of Safety Requirements

Our technical experts are currently reviewing research to verify material compatibility with E-85. We will co-sponsor an E-85 Compatibility Technical Forum on November 1-2, 2006 with the US Department of Energy to obtain additional advice pursuant to UL establishing performance criteria and offering a Listing program for E-85 dispensers. Timing associated with development of the requirements depends upon the availability of material compatibility research gathered before and during the forum. We will provide an update shortly after the forum concludes.

http://www.ul.com/regulators/e85.cfm

This is actually a good thing. 

From what I read UL has never given a UL listing for any dispensing equipment.  So now some of the fact and fiction will be straightened up by the UL laboratories testing.  We can find out just how corrosive E85 is or if the corrosiveness of E85 was just played up by the people that are against it. 

Plus then there will be equipment out their that will then be UL listed.  This may eventually help spread E85 stations to places that wouldn't install them before!

I don't know how many people know about blender pumps, but that is the way to go in my opinion. I noticed these pumps in Arkansas a few years ago dispensing regular,midgrade and premium from one nozzle. After understanding what was going on, I thought, why not do that with ethanol. Calling around, everyone said it wasn't possible. A year and a half ago I went to the airshow at Oshkosh, WI and was surprised to buy E-85 being dispensed with a blender pump. Utica Energy, the local ethanol plant was starting to market their own fuel--- E-10, E-20, and E-85. They haul ethanol over from the plant and put it in a tank and then they have another tank with straight unleaded.  The pump does the blending and because they are direct marketing the price at that time for 85% was 72 cents less the 10%. This year they have more stations and their E-85 was $1.10 less the the BP next door had regular priced. After finding out more, the state of WI gave them the OK even though the pump is technically unapproved. I've talked to the Dresser Wayne pump mfg. and they have been trying to get UL to get it approved but it seems UL is trying to go as slow as possible. The good thing about this setup is you don't have a separate E-85 tank that may not get used much.