Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

BREAKING NEWS.. Vilsack wants 10,000 ethanol pumps in five years..FUNDING!

if SOMETHING major isn't done to greatly increase the number of e85 pumps across the entire county very soon, you could possibly see Detroit back out on their 50%FFV pledge... which would be tragic.  If we can seize this time and greatly increase the number and geographic spread of e85 pumps... we could see Detroit fulfill this pledge, and work on seriously improving their ethanol technology!

I know if I had a chance I would be using it 80% more,  it takes trips for me to get to use it,  I hate I dont have other choices.

I  understand furball... I admire people like you and your dedication.  It is a shame that we have people like you with no access to the fuel!  Even more of a shame, are the 1000 people with FFVs and easy access to e85 that refuse to use it out of ignorance and mis-information... >:D

When I was traveling across Iowa last winter... the attendant at the Kum & Go on I80 in Coralville (just outside Iowa City) said that they sell A LOT of e85 at that location... she said there were 3 different markets... local commuters, interstate traffic and "outsiders stocking up"... she said that they have several regulars that live 30+ miles away, and come in about once a week and stock up filling large tanks in the box of their truck to take home... she figured the probably resold this to neighbors....

You'd think that with this much loyalty and dedication, that someone would figure that there is an untapped market waiting to be met.  That is what drives business.

I just hope that this isn't an election year announcement that will be forgotten on Nov 3.

The RFS marches on and the oil companies are going to have to push higher blends if they are going to meet their requirements in years to come. I would guess that that is why Valero announced they were adding an E85 pump at their San Antonio location and that E85 pumps would be added to all new company owned stores.

There is a bit of an update on this over on Corn Corps.

"Alas, announcements are easy to make but the real work begins after the press releases. In follow-up discussions with USDA and others it became quite clear that the surplus funds have not been identified. The plan is for the funding to go through Rural Development (which is a very good idea) but the current programs would have to be changed to allow funds to be used specifically for blender pumps. One obvious program is the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) which has been identified as a possible vehicle. Unfortunately the guidelines will have to be changed and the solicitations will not be issued until next spring. It is also possible the program will have to be changed legislatively for blender pumps to be allowed.'

http://corncorps.blogspot.com/2010/11/federal-funding-for-blender-pumps-not.html

There is a bit of an update on this over on Corn Corps.

"Alas, announcements are easy to make but the real work begins after the press releases. In follow-up discussions with USDA and others it became quite clear that the surplus funds have not been identified. The plan is for the funding to go through Rural Development (which is a very good idea) but the current programs would have to be changed to allow funds to be used specifically for blender pumps. One obvious program is the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) which has been identified as a possible vehicle. Unfortunately the guidelines will have to be changed and the solicitations will not be issued until next spring. It is also possible the program will have to be changed legislatively for blender pumps to be allowed.'

http://corncorps.blogspot.com/2010/11/federal-funding-for-blender-pumps-not.html

Not going to be easy but sure they can get it done..as stated the"Plan" is for the funds to go through Rural Development" program..  Not sure what he was expecting a pre approved pile of money sitting with belnder pumps name on it?

anyway ..

He goes on to say  "USDOE with their billions are also in the discussions. They of course are not as excited about funding blender pumps and E-85 infrastructure as USDA. USDOE has significantly reduced their support for ethanol research and E-85 in the last two years"

That's rather amusing considering  the  DOE just award 600 Million to cellluosic ethanol including ZeaChem , BlueFire and Algenol and 14 cellulosic pilot plants  ..maybe he means the money isnt valid because it doesnt have corns name on it?  ;D

I  understand furball... I admire people like you and your dedication.  It is a shame that we have people like you with no access to the fuel!  Even more of a shame, are the 1000 people with FFVs and easy access to e85 that refuse to use it out of ignorance and mis-information... >:D

Thanks maybe I am nuts but I get a great feeling when I fill up.  I get a chance when I pick up the grand kids and when we go to Branson.  Thats as close as it gets,  the fact I could go my whole trip to Wi and back to Mo  was a feeling of freedom do any of you get that.

Not going to be easy but sure they can get it done..as stated the"Plan" is for the funds to go through Rural Development" program..  Not sure what he was expecting a pre approved pile of money sitting with belnder pumps name on it?

Could be that it is just a bit naive of me to expect that they should have an idea of how they are going to pay for it and what is going to be involved in making it happen when they make such an announcement.

He goes on to say  "USDOE with their billions are also in the discussions. They of course are not as excited about funding blender pumps and E-85 infrastructure as USDA. USDOE has significantly reduced their support for ethanol research and E-85 in the last two years"

That's rather amusing considering  the  DOE just award 600 Million to cellluosic ethanol including ZeaChem , BlueFire and Algenol and 14 cellulosic pilot plants  ..maybe he means the money isnt valid because it doesnt have corns name on it?  ;D

Technically it was 564 million but 600 million committed a year ago is a fine example of their commitment at present but doesn't really address the charge that commitment levels have dropped over the last two years since it doesn't tell us what us anything about what was being spent prior to two years ago.

I subscribe to the DOE news feed and there hasn't been a lot in there geared toward ethanol in a while. The closest thing I saw over the last two months was $16.5 million on biomass research. There were plenty of other forms of energy receiving grants such as $1 billion for FutureGen 2.0, which is clean coal. There were also grants for offshore wind, geothermal, solar, hydrokenetic and transmission lines.

For the most part it seems as though the DOE has determined that the future is in electrification of transport and has moved away from liquid fuels.

If you want to check out their news feed it is at this address.

http://www.energy.gov/pressreleases.xml

Could be that it is just a bit naive of me to expect that they should have an idea of how they are going to pay for it and what is going to be involved in making it happen when they make such an announcement.

Technically it was 564 million but 600 million committed a year ago is a fine example of their commitment at present but doesn't really address the charge that commitment levels have dropped over the last two years since it doesn't tell us what us anything about what was being spent prior to two years ago.

I subscribe to the DOE news feed and there hasn't been a lot in there geared toward ethanol in a while. The closest thing I saw over the last two months was $16.5 million on biomass research. There were plenty of other forms of energy receiving grants such as $1 billion for FutureGen 2.0, which is clean coal. There were also grants for offshore wind, geothermal, solar, hydrokenetic and transmission lines.

For the most part it seems as though the DOE has determined that the future is in electrification of transport and has moved away from liquid fuels.

If you want to check out their news feed it is at this address.

http://www.energy.gov/pressreleases.xml

Morning Mus..they do know where the money is coming from.. Rural Development Funds...the issue is doing the paperwork to move some of those funds to E85 infrastructure..

Also ..The MAJORITY of the 564 Million is going to LIQUID fules with Ethnaol receiving the most money..from greentechand DOE

Some selected DOE grant winners include:

Algenol Biofuels will get $25 million to make ethanol from algae at a 100,000 gallon-per-year demonstration plant in Freeport, Texas (see Green Light post).

American Process Inc., of Alpena, Mich., will get $17.9 million to build a plant to make 890,000 gallons of ethanol and 690,000 gallons of potassium acetate from processed wood.

Amyris Biotechnologies, of Emeryville, Calif. will get $25 million to help build a pilot plant to use its genetically altered yeast to turn sugar from fermented sweet sorghum into hydrocarbons closely resembling diesel fuel, as well as lubricants, polymers and other petrochemicals (see Amyris Pledges $82M to Go Commercial in Brazil).

Archer Daniels Midland, of Decatur, Ill. will get $24.8 million for a facility to use acid to break down biomass to convert to ethanol or ethyl acrylate.

Clearfuels Technology, of Commerce City, Colo. will get $23 million for a plant to make woody biomass into diesel and jet fuel using processes from the company and partner Rentech (see Rentech Plans Wood Waste-to-Biofuel, Electricity Plant).

Enerkem will get $50 million to build a plant in Pontotoc, Miss. to convert municipal wastes into syngas for conversion to biofuels (see Green Light post).

Logos Technologies will get $20.4 million for a Visalia, Calif. plant to convert switchgrass and woody biomass into ethanol (see DARPA Gives Logos $19.6M for Bio Jet Fuel).

Solazyme will get $21.8 million for a Riverside, Penn. plant to produce algae oil to convert to oil-based fuel (see Green Light post).

UOP, a Honeywell company, will get $25 million to develop a Kapolei, Hawaii plant in partnership with Ensyn to turn a variety of crops and feedstocks into fuels (see Biofuel Roundup: Fuel From Algae, Biomass, Waste).

Zeachem will get $25 million to build a wood-to-ethanol plant in Boardman, Ore. (see Zeachem Moves Into Plastics, Breaks Ground on Prototype Pla

Morning Mus..they do know where the money is coming from.. Rural Development Funds...the issue is doing the paperwork to move some of those funds to E85 infrastructure..

According to the article the available funds haven't been identified. So this is most likely a commitment of future funds. Add in the need for paperwork changes and the point is this is not going to happen quickly.

Also ..The MAJORITY of the 564 Million is going to LIQUID fules with Ethnaol receiving the most money..from greentechand DOE

And how does that amount over the last two years compare with prior to two years ago?