Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2012 Ford Focus will be E85

Will try to get a picture but have to join Kodak gallery or something like it. The badge is a straight, about four and a half inch chrome strip under the SEL badge on the lower right hand trunk lid. It says flex fuel with a little corn leaf and road emblem in the middle. Smaller version of what came on the front fender of my 2001 Taurus. Basically the capless filler looks just like any other normal one with the cap removed. You have to look close to see the little tabs that have to spread to release and allow the flapper deal to open like regular ones do. This does have a yellow plastic ring around the fill neck that says E85 and a decal on the fuel door saying ethanol fuel. I bet that capless system cost more than a little more flex fuel computer programming-----I actually like caps. :)

Mine looks different. Flex on one side little bitty leaf in the middle and fuel on the other side. It is about half as deep as that one. Mine reminds me of the older cars that said fuel injection.

Well, I put 500 miles on the Focus today. Left home with about 60 miles on the fill that I figure was about E20. Stopped and filled two jugs with 9 gallons of E85 and headed to NW Missouri on Interstate 29. Had a NW tailwind with cruise set at 73 mph slowing once in awhile for construction north and south of Omaha. By the time I got to Mound City the average was at 36.9 mpg. Drove around town about 10 miles visiting and then headed home into the wind at 72 mph with the average dropping to about 35.7. Got about 20 miles south of Omaha when I decided I better add my 9 gallons. It brought the needle up to full but it didn't stay there very long and the average started dropping as I went north. By the time I reached Sioux City the average was stabilized at 33.7 and the NW wind was blowing pretty good yet. The steam or smoke from the power plant was going straight sideways and not up and a big American flag was 2/3's out. Dan's guess on mileage was close but with no wind and more miles on the car I hope for better. The car has 613 miles on the odometer now.

Not exactly sure how the read out in the dash works but I think the 33.7 should be about right. The gas tank was getting pretty close to empty--I bet not more than a gallon of E20 when I added the E85. Shouldn't the E85 be about 75% ethanol right now?

Something else I thought of when talking about the read out display. When I was about home and going with the little bit of wind that had calmed from earlier,and going 60 mph, the mpg went up a tenth to 33.8.

You didn't happen to reset the MPG meter by any chance, did you?

By my math you had a somewhere between E50 and E60 when you added the 9 gallons of E75. Focus have 12.4 Gallon tanks and there is at least a gallon just in the fuel lines and filler neck. That is assuming the 9 gallons topped it off. :D