Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2012 Ford Focus will be E85

I did this break-in on my engine rebuild and have been spectacularly pleased with the results.  You have seen my post with the 6200 mile oil still looking like honey on the dipstick.  I'm crossing the 7,000 mile mark on the  led lights oil fill after that one (on the way to 8,000) and the oil still looks the same.  I haven't even added any oil and it's still 2/3 the way up between 'full' and 'add'.  So 8,000 miles, clean oil and no make-up oil = a great break-in by my account!

I always am extra sensitive to the FIRST oil change on a new car.  I always change the first one at 3,000 miles. (I know, I know- that is no longer necessary to go 3K).

But for the first one, I do, because I want to make sure if there is any chance of particles or metal shavings in anything, I get rid of that right off, and then settle in to a nice pattern after that.  My wife's new Malibu and my Impala both have the oil life indicator, so I have been using that after the first change, and going until I am down to the last 10% or so in oil life.

:) good right decission sir... this is so cool...

what is the totally good car?? sir

I always am extra sensitive to the FIRST oil change on a new car.  I always change the first one at 3,000 miles. (I know, I know- that is no longer necessary to go 3K).

But for the first one, I do,...

Absolutely - I believe I did my first change at 200 miles, second at 2700.  Plus cut the oil filter open and rinsed it out to have a look at all the shiny bits under the microscope.  Especially for a hand built / garage built engine, I figure it's cheap insurance whether it needs it or not.  Factory engine might not need it, but again, for ~$50, why not.

Well, I took delivery of a new 2012 Focus SEL. It showed up on the lot a few days ago with about $2,600 more options than I ordered a week and a half ago. I was able to change the deal so don't have to wait. I think I'm impressed with the power and by the time I got home the average mileage was up to 38.5. The dealer(50 miles away) filled it with E10 but I stopped at the Co op(ProGo) at Primghar Iowa and tried out the brand new blender pump. Was able to squeeze in 2 gallons of E85. They have E0, E10, E20. E30, and E85. The E0 is $3.849 and the E85 is $2.959. Can't remember the 20 and 30. Spread isn't to bad.

Need to drive it to get rid of this tank full.

I like your thinking!

You could always siphon the dirty old dino-fuel out, before it does any damage to your new engine and fuel system... or do new cars have features that make siphoning out fuel too difficult?

What size is this engine?  Just curious if they would be putting it in some of their other cars?  There really is no need for my Ford Fusion to have a 3.0 liter V6....  WAY more power and HP then that size car "needs"...

It is a 2 liter 4 banger with direct injection and 12 to 1 compression ratio. I got the 6 speed power shift. I was going to beat on it a little when leaving a stop sign and it was up to 60 mph before I knew what happened. It has a capless fuel filler which is a little different. When sticking the nozzle in, there are a couple little tabs that spread allowing the flapper to open and the nozzle can go all the way in. There is a special plastic funnel-like tube that will fit in allowing fuel from a jug to be poured in. I used to carry biodiesel in a six gallon jug in the trunk and will probably carry extra E85 sometimes.

12:1 compression ratio! Direct Injection 2.0!

NICE that ought to make the ethanol mileage increase!

My '10 Fusion has the capless tank... it is odd, but it is also nice once you get used to it.

I could really see them putting this engine in the Fusion as well as many of their medium sized vehicles (edge, flex...) which are everywhere on the road.  This could put Ford in the lead for FFV production!

Well, I took delivery of a new 2012 Focus SEL. It showed up on the lot a few days ago with about $2,600 more options than I ordered a week and a half ago. I was able to change the deal so don't have to wait. I think I'm impressed with the power and by the time I got home the average mileage was up to 38.5. The dealer(50 miles away) filled it with E10 but I stopped at the Co op(ProGo) at Primghar Iowa and tried out the brand new blender pump. Was able to squeeze in 2 gallons of E85. They have E0, E10, E20. E30, and E85. The E0 is $3.849 and the E85 is $2.959. Can't remember the 20 and 30. Spread isn't to bad.

cessa I also added the blender

http://e85prices.com/iowa.html

So 38.5 on E10

I'll say 33.5 range on E85

Sweet deal Cessna. ;D If you could please share pics of what Ford used for FFV badging and for the fuel filler(since it doesn't have a fuel cap). I have yet to see pics for a FFV Focus badging yet, although I imagine it's probably not too different than the Fusion badging. I'm very curious. ;)

12:1 compression ratio! Direct Injection 2.0!

NICE that ought to make the ethanol mileage increase!

My '10 Fusion has the capless tank... it is odd, but it is also nice once you get used to it.

I could really see them putting this engine in the Fusion as well as many of their medium sized vehicles (edge, flex...) which are everywhere on the road.  This could put Ford in the lead for FFV production!

Not likely for the Fusion since it's much bigger and about 500lbs heavier. There is a rumor about the Fusion getting an Ecoboost engine which might be a 2.0L version. :-\