Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Developments

What promising developments do you see for ethanol’s future? Not a wish list but approaching and gaining in strength.

Blender pumps that would make the approved fuel controversy go away.

Improved plant and processing efficiency i.e. better enzymes, efficient equipment, cogeneration, and new processes.

Improved corn farming i.e. gps guidance, better hybrids/gmo, low till, more efficient use of water/fertilizer, basic science/biology improvements with new applications or process.

Improved engine technology exploiting benefits of ethanol fuels

Processing of waste feed stocks such as alcohol, pop, fruit, bakery, brewery waste, paper, garbage, and wood.

Sugar cane process, farming, and hybrid improvements that may push production toward the 2,000 g/acre 

Cellulose products of corn growers that may be the most cost effective supply available benefiting the both supplier and processor with attractive synergy benefits.

Algae farming production with benefit of tremendous ethanol production per acre and high quality production of food or feedstock. Not to mention the process cleans up water pollutant waste streams.

Microbes, that directly convert cellulose to ethanol.   

Koreans working on seaweed ethanol. Very difficult to beat up ethanol production upon indirect farm land guesstimates (pie in sky), when using no farm land. Also, the phosphorus and nitrate pollution actually good for seaweed production. May the Mississippi gulf dead zone be a good place to clean up and produce sea weed ethanol?

Hard to beat up ethanol production upon water use of irrigation when the feed stock material plant floats upon ocean surface. 

I keep thinking they should be filtering algae out of the Gulf also. Just think of the biodiesel and ethanol that could be made. Then the critics would probably start saying that there is too much oxygen in the Gulf doing something bad.

I keep thinking they should be filtering algae out of the Gulf also. Just think of the biodiesel and ethanol that could be made. Then the critics would probably start saying that there is too much oxygen in the Gulf doing something bad.

Forsooth Cessna! You propose taking away the food of whales?  ;D