Sign in to follow this  
CW

Accidentally Purchased an E85 Vehicle

Greetings all,

CW checking in from DFW.

So I confess I didn't do it on purpose but I am fully on board with it now.  The Mrs. and I just purchased a 2010 Chevy Avalanche that was E85 ready.  I'm pleased to see increasing numbers of E85 pumps in our fair burg.

I'll be running some numbers to figure out whether or not I'm at the break-even point, driving 14-ish miles to my E85 station but regardless, I believe it's worth it for political reasons.

I just paid $2.24 in Denton and the 87 Octane was $2.67. 

Please don't use it just for political reasons. Use it for the fact that you are supporting the US of A, supporting the middle class workers, and have that good feeling that your money isn't going overseas to countries that absolutely despise us.

Please don't use it just for political reasons. Use it for the fact that you are supporting the US of A, supporting the middle class workers, and have that good feeling that your money isn't going overseas to countries that absolutely despise us.

I totally agree!

I think you will love it,  I use it because I believe in it.    I would rather spend money here in the USA keep it here mid America and save a few pennies for the family.    Its been even better than I thought,  I took a 700 mile trip one way and it was on E-85  first time I have been able to do that in 5 yrs and it was so cool.   

I totally agree!

Fair enough! 

You just listed all my political reasons :-) 

I didn't want to get into a patriotic tirade on my first post and anyway, I think there's a separate forum for that.

I appreciate all the encouragement, folks.  The lucky thing about it is although that station is 14 miles away, I drive past it often and can top-off frequently.  It's a 24/7, credit card only station at a local oil company.  Its convenience factor is particularly wonderful given the price difference.

Soon, I'm going to check out the other one in Grapevine.  I'll have a report on it soon.

I've always been in favor of more environmental options and believe people aren't intentionally leaving huge carbon footprints but rather, are lazy and will seek convenience.  I was somewhat troubled on the trip from Google to this forum at all the non-ethanol-gas-station links that came up before I found the E85 site.  I believe it'll be convenience, not mindfulness, that converts those people.

At any rate, mucho gusto everyone.  I'm glad to be here and although not an overtly political person, I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can.  I really appreciate the warm reception.

Fair enough! 

You just listed all my political reasons :-) 

I didn't want to get into a patriotic tirade on my first post and anyway, I think there's a separate forum for that.

We try to keep a lid on it, but we're used to more than a few tirades around here.  Thanks for your discretion.  :)

One thing that is important on current FFVs is the refueling procedure. There should be instructions in your owners manual. The condensed version however is: not to use a pump that makes where you park not be level, purchase at least 5 gal, and drive it for a few minutes/miles before shutting it off. Otherwise the computer can get confused as to what the E% in your tank is and your MPG, performance and drivablity can suffer. It shouldn't be much of a problem if you always use E85, but if you are forced to switch back and forth it is important.