Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Spark Plug

I forgot to mention on the wholesale purchase of the Pulstar plugs, I needed to replace plugs on both 6 cyl. anyways. That was the other rational, I needed new ones so at that price, its worth a try.lol The only vehicle that didn't really need them was the s-10, but I'm pretty sure when I rebuilt the top end in 2008, I used pretty cheap plugs. The Xterra is  PIA so I hope these will last for 80-100k.

Be careful with the Pulstar, as earlier generation plug had short lifespan. The deal maybe some old generation plugs? Pulstar now has a 30 day warranty. Notice the comments on ceramic insulator being weak. Be careful on the install. 

Your Xterra, like some other vehicles, make lifespan primary objective. I would go with the 7mm center electrode, probably NGK with 4 prongs. Some of those plugs rated at 100,000 miles even the platinum plug. The 4 prong has max lifespan and should work better with E85.

One problem of modern CD ignition....while as compared to old battery powered coil system, they generate max voltage and can do so quickly for high rpm needs.....they generate less amperage. So, in theory the old coil systems had more power upon the spark. As a result they deteriorated ignition parts quicker. But, my guess, the extra amperage would produce more btu upon the spark and result in better ignition of E85 fuel upon cold startup.  Note: the high cd voltage spark did increase spark gaps, but as we know extremely high voltage good fun to jump long gaps but little danger without high amperage. How big a spark gap have your fingers produced when sliding across some car seats....ouch. 

A good analogy being stick welding. More heat equals more amperage and resulting ability to melt metal. Increasing gap will increase voltage and decrease penetration (heat). Using smaller diameter rod will decrease amperage needs for similar heat, but will result in quicker consumption of your rod. Maybe a better analogy with TIG? But you get the idea that small diameter center electrode will promote more heat at plug spark and accomplish with less amperage. Iridium metal has max high temp ability to maximize plug lifespan with smaller center electrodes. Using multiple electrode/ground strap will maximize this element just by sharing the load as only one will get the spark. Also, laying the spark horizontal may be a better condition?