Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Spark Plug

if you need much powerful spark, you can use usual sparks with external device (with capasistor).

but i think spark plug will burn out very, very fast.

maybe if this capasistor will be used only till cold start...

I'll read the links for additional info. Another good link with long discussion and testing

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/155845-pulstar-spark-plugs-review-7.html

My take on the plug.....it will not return any appreciable improvement in typical unleaded fueled engine. Not much info on E85 fuel, and the strong points of the plug may be of most benefit for cold start conditions.

The physics of plug appear to o.k. (my assessment)-

The plate capacitor placed in the insulator part would store or draw more voltage from the ignition system. The ignition system produces power (watts) with increasing voltage until the system shorts out (spark). The large diameter plate capacitor will store more voltage and delay spark. Once spark occurs it will occur with more voltage.

Diameter of spark plug electrode also affected similarly. Small diameter electrodes will have less delay and produce a spark easier. The Pulstar plug has large diameter plate capacitor with small diameter spark electrode. This will promote higher voltage and stronger spark something not necessary in typical unleaded fueled engine as ignition easily accomplished. However, these engines designed around unleaded fuel. E85 fuel has much different ignition requirements. Putting more heat at source if ignition would appear to be good. Did read a lead Ford engineer discussion. Ford did up the ignition voltage for the flex fuel cars.

Also, unless for example MotorCraft invents a Pulstar plug they won't promote or use the technology.

The auto manufacturers hamstrung with need to optimize unleaded and have ability to burn ethanol. So, the ignition system is not optimized for E85....that's my guess, even though appears they cranked up ignition voltage for the task.

The ignition system power is set for spark gap and the rest of particular engine conditions. A longer spark gap (than design) would require more system voltage, but produce less ignition conditions (fat hot spark).  If your lawn mower has a weak spark and  starts hard....close down the gap as your engine has a weak magnet?

This spark plug may help cold start of E85 engines as it fools the ignitions system to produce more voltage then sends it down to a small electrode, should produce a hotter spark better for ethanol ignition, not of value for unleaded. 

I've had E85 conversion people try to sell me the plug when I complained about something not being right, like cold starting. I was suggesting an improvement for the device, not that I wanted to spend another $100. ;D

I wonder how well these capacitor plugs will work with a ignition system putting out 40k volts to begin with??  The old oil filled tower coils were good for around 28k volts. Beyond that they tended to have some spark failures, or the old spark leakage problem.

This is the other extreme- where boost/dynamic compression is very high (not our normal street cars). If you read this bit of excerpt from the Lotus triflex car (methanol/ethanol/gas) car you can see that the builders chose standard copper core plugs because of methanol's propensity for preignition. (they wanted to be able to go to high boost to gain advantage vs the turned down boost for gas). A glowing very thin plug tip can be nasty to set off methanol.

So what does this have to do with this thread? - not much other than IF a performance guy happens to visit this thread-- he may not want Pulstar or Iridium plugs due to the severe engine damage they could cause.

http://www.ecolo.org/documents/documents_in_english/Methanol-ethanol-Lotus_09.pdf

While identical spark advance was used with methanol

and ethanol, some pre-ignition was noticed using the

former fuel. Small amounts of pre-ignition can be

compensated for in the ignition timing table and this is

the route taken by Saab for their BioPower engines [34]

but methanol shows a greater propensity towards this

phenomenon due to the lower temperature at which it

decomposes, advancing the phenomenon into the

compression stroke. Fortunately, a significant reduction

in the propensity to pre-ignite can be achieved by

adopting spark plugs with electrodes made from nonprecious

metals. Replacing the standard iridium

electrodes with copper-cored versions was shown to

eliminate the pre-ignition issue up to 100% methanol

concentration in the fuel. There were no further hardware

modifications necessary.

There is some truth to that, outlaw.  I have always heard not to run platinum / iridium plugs with high compression or boost.  I suspect the elevated temperatures and pressures may allow the precious metals to do just what they do in your catalytic converter...light the unburned fuel.  May be worse - as the article points out - with fuels which decompose easier.

Hello, newbie here. Although I have had my flex-fuel s-10 since 2008. I am considering converting 2 vehicles on mine to run e85. I live in AZ and there are quite a few stations in Phoenix area. I too have stumbled across the Pulstar Plugs. I see the biggest problem for most consumers actually trying this product out is the outrageous price, however a quick search will revile Platinum for $10 and Iridium for $13.

SO for this price, are these plugs worth it to use in flex-fuel vehicles? I used Advance auto parts warehouse to place an order for a total of 16 plugs, 4 for the s10 and 6 ea. for the 6cyl. 1999 Jimmy and 2001 Xterra I want to convert. I searched for online coupon and got $40 off of orders over $100. Grand total for all 16 platinum Pulstar plugs is $119.94 and free shipping!

At that price they are the same cost wise as other platinum and Iridium plugs...Is that a price worth trying them out?

Hello, newbie here. Although I have had my flex-fuel s-10 since 2008. I am considering converting 2 vehicles on mine to run e85. I live in AZ and there are quite a few stations in Phoenix area. I too have stumbled across the Pulstar Plugs. I see the biggest problem for most consumers actually trying this product out is the outrageous price, however a quick search will revile Platinum for $10 and Iridium for $13.

SO for this price, are these plugs worth it to use in flex-fuel vehicles? I used Advance auto parts warehouse to place an order for a total of 16 plugs, 4 for the s10 and 6 ea. for the 6cyl. 1999 Jimmy and 2001 Xterra I want to convert. I searched for online coupon and got $40 off of orders over $100. Grand total for all 16 platinum Pulstar plugs is $119.94 and free shipping!

At that price they are the same cost wise as other platinum and Iridium plugs...Is that a price worth trying them out?

Hi and welcome I run a 60% mix and havent had to change a thing I hope the plugs work great for you.

Not much data or user experience for spark plugs burning E85 fueled engines. Especially for long term use. This summer will switch out one of the vehicles for evaluating improvements. My take:

- NGK appears often within best plug league.

- Iridium the best center electrode to minimize erosion and achieve long life.

- Smaller diameter center electrode best for enhanced ignitability, something cold start ethanol would benefit from.

.    Hotter spark

.    Easier to achieve spark under harsh conditions, ie wet

.    3 mm the best, but plug life deterioration to average

.    7 mm plug almost never need to be changed out

- Pulstar plug technology copied for the successful small engine "Easy Start" plug now widely available and so effective. This gives merit to the Pulstar technology, but troubling very low automotive use and media buzz.

- Multiple electrodes has real merit for life span, and placing electrode to side appears to be gaining merit for enhanced ignition. Notice, race community has long "clocked" their plugs more efficient ignition.

Azgreaser- that is a good price. But, would suggest not to go wholesale one direction. Better to purchase plugs for one vehicle and compare with conventional setup on the other. Record keeping would be critical. My interest in advanced plugs solely for cold startup with ethanol fuel. Would be nice if any precipitable mpg improvement occurred, though?