Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Spark Plug

All of us interested in cold start solutions. Some spark plugs reported to improve this. Irridium plug often touted as helping. The small diameter electrode most often given credit for the difference.  An example my yard equipment often hard to start. I purchased a Champion "Easy Start" plug for small engines. The main difference you can see is the electrode necked down in diameter at discharge point. It works great with as good lifespan.

Pulstar Pulse Plugs another specialty plug with high advertiser claims. I checked into the plug a year ago and found to many troubling stories of early failure. However, the plug did perform as advertised and very expensive $25/ea.

Up to date info much better report on the plug. They received some grant money for R&D and dramatically improved lifespan and now rated as high as the platinum or irradium plugs.  A 100k warranty. Just read an ethanol company CEO talking of cold start problems claim when switching to the plug " dramatically improve cold-starting performance and fuel economy in vehicles that are using high-level ethanol fuel blends".  This guy tested them on several of his personal vehicles one being a Silverado p/u running up to E100. He claimed to recoup some gas mpg and have much better cold start.

Their web site and news releases claim they are in generation 3 product sales and offered the 100k mile warranty as well as dropping price about 1/2. Has anyone put these gen 3 plugs to the test? The company claims 7% fuel mileage improvement for those of us who drive conservatively for mileage. They suggest the hp will jump 2-3% and easy to blow fuel savings with heavy foot.

The claims sound possible as they plug acts as a capacitor. Meaning to receive power from conventional ignition setup and store full release of energy until the tipping point. At the tipping point since the plug has shortest distance, least electrical resistance of circuit, and the natural physics of capacitor discharge.....it wacks out a whole bunch of higher voltage. That equals hotter, fatter, spark.  This electrical event produced and occurs fast enough to not effect engine timing. The hp and efficiency claims result from a quicker ignition of more fuel. This increase in flame speed would result in engine gaining higher max cylinder pressure a good measure of more power exerted upon better crank leverage angle.

I've got a special on bridges this week, buy one, get one. Any one interested?

You get more HP so you have to take it easy or you'll lose the mileage gains... that's a good one.

The horsepower gain of course is small percentage and very hard to calculate except on a test stand with standardized test procedure to assure an apples to apples comparison, but the plug has been out for a while and is gaining a good reputation.  Personally, lot's of phony junk out there, remember the forked spark electrode plug? So much of it hokey and phony, but occasionally a good product comes through. Spark plugs improved with platinum and the iridium mainly durability.

The horsepower gain would depend heavily on particulars of the engine. Would guess like ethanol, much variance.  Ethanol would be a good fit for what the manufacturer promotes. Thomas Quinn offered the info, although I did see his name used as a referral on the spark plustar site.

An engine experiencing more horsepower....you could spend that extra hp or drive normally for better mileage. This phenomena also per E85.  Customers talk of experiencing more power....well if they experience more power they are automatically reducing their mileage. It's always a trade off.

I'm, also, skeptical of all such claims, (but with an open mindset) Since this site is looking for ways to improve E85 and cold start one such problem....anyone have experience with this plug?  T. Quinn claimed it helped cold start and mpg regain with E100.

Reminds me of a song...

"...and if you'll buy that I'll throw the golden gate in free..."  ;D

10 points for the first one to link the song.

I think the importance of spark plugs is over rated.  Either they have the correct heat range and gap, and fire, or they do not.  Magic plugs are a scam.  I've had about the best luck with standard NGK's or their V-power plugs when the standards aren't available.  Change 'em when they get old, and never a problem.  You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a good plug.

Wow, no middle ground with this plug. Amazon consumer ratings either 5 star or one star. The more reputable ratings 5 star. The negative one star ratings appear to be from a hacker with a bone.

So, more confused than ever. It could be really good or really bad. Go figure.

All the damming info...upon the early production models with poor reliability. Consumers appear to like the spark plug, and claim the plug performs per advertising, but P.O.'d with the short life.

Manufacturer recently claims to have a third generation solving these problems with a 100k mile guarantee.  Plug manufacture did received a couple million $$ for R&d.

The biggest seller is on E-Bay.....it's a bit confusing. Either this plug a very clever hoax or a upstart trying to muscle into a well established market. What they claim if true would benefit high concentrations of ethanol fuel. Appears not many have tested this new 3rd gen spark plug.

Well, the conspiracy theory would go...

They produced a capacitor discharge spark plug. A plug often theorized as most efficient, but the spark plug had a poor lifespan which would be expected. This 3rd generation has a 100k mile lifespan, but it is no longer a capacitor discharge spark plug.... it's merely a platinum or iridium plug with a trademark name? That's my most skeptical analysis WAG.

T. Quinn is a respected businessmen with his personal wealth invested in ethanol production. When this guy speaks of the plug it caught my attention. So, the best I can come up with is ... unknown and not convinced. Wait another year and watch the market?

If you google them, there are plenty of tests out there...

http://www.carbibles.com/productreviews_pulstar.html

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169/pulstar-spark-plugs-dyno-what-neon-517939/

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=SRT-4+Dyno+Results&mfid=0

In summary, most people aren't seeing much in the way of gains from the pulse plugs.  Hardly more than the 2-4% variation from dyno run to dyno run - on the same spark plugs, certainly not 7-10% from the pulstars. 

If you think about it electrically, the plugs are claimed to have a capacitor.  The cars ignition system fires, then the capacitor stores that energy until a maximum voltage is reached, then it fires.  That energy build-up and storage has to take some finite amount of time.  That is equivalent to retarding the timing.

I suppose if you had some wild application...40psi of boost or something, the pulse plug might help.  But, I'm sure a stock OEM car has quite a capable ignition system.  If there were any significant gains to be made from a simple plug, the OEM's would happily do that and charge you for it.