Sign in to follow this  
furball64801

Why can I do this, what did I do right or am I just lucky.

It does come to that, doesn't it? Running your car on higher concentrations of ethanol and checking for operation problems or CEL.

What happens if the light comes on. I pull off the battery cable for a few minutes, but this is no longer an acceptable reset? As the controller memory still retains problem. Is this true and how to go about resetting?

Ethanol supposed to attack aluminum, copper alloys, magnesium, and natural rubber. Natural rubber not used in autos for a long time, that I know of. Magnesium to expensive to use. Copper and aluminum alloys would be the primary concern. Haven't seen many problems nor start of any problems. Go figure? Wish the testing labs would publish results in quick easy format for general public. As always the information to valuable and agencies afraid to release. They want the power to decide for you as you may make a bad decision. The public can't be trusted. Unfortunately for citizens we have promoted way to much of this thinking to nonprofit agencies. 

Next they will try and stop us from splashing that will be a revolt.

Ethanol supposed to attack aluminum, copper alloys, magnesium, and natural rubber. Natural rubber not used in autos for a long time, that I know of. Magnesium to expensive to use. Copper and aluminum alloys would be the primary concern. Haven't seen many problems nor start of any problems. Go figure? Wish the testing labs would publish results in quick easy format for general public. As always the information to valuable and agencies afraid to release. They want the power to decide for you as you may make a bad decision. The public can't be trusted. Unfortunately for citizens we have promoted way to much of this thinking to nonprofit agencies. 

Alcohol:

Attacks aluminum (So does high aromatic gasoline, even worse)

That's why todays vehicles have to use aluminum that has a protective coating.

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp

Copper has an "A" rating with ethanol.

Copper only has a "B" rating with gasoline.

(High aromatic would be worse yet)

The aluminum, copper, steel corrosion issues probably galvanic corrosion as alcohols conduct. If the material is left to itself no issue. If the metal is close to another chemically active metal on opposite conductivity scale you get a battery. Such as aluminum and stainless steel in salt water.  Steel and stainless have issues with this. Copper in aluminum may be a bad combination.

The corrosion issue may be a design issue, such as not combining dissimilar metals within fuel pump. I think the flex vehicles have stainless fuel lines?

Corrosion in general a very tough science. Remember the steel pipe lines and concern. It takes lots of analysis and experience to understand. A small crack in stainless creates a horrible spot for corrosion. Steel cutters in stainless makes for another bad situation as fragments rust and make stainless corrosion resistance useless.  Stress in material, fastener material, heat treatment, available oxygen, and all the eventually chemistry.

Does anyone here have a Non-FFV Chevy Tahoe, Silverado, or Suburban from the years 2000 - 2007 with a 5.3L engine?

I would like to know what the fuel rail is made out of.

Is it stainless, aluminum, or steal?

THANKS

Many of you know I have run about a 60% mix for over 4 yrs now.    I have recently been bumping it up to over 70% and then 80% and havent had one issue with the mix.  I want to know am I playing it dangerously or will this continue,  have I lost my mind or am I proving it can be done.    I havent had a cel yet and the car runs smooth as can be.

Another update still running fine on ethanol splashing  I love this stuff keep it coming baby.

Does anyone here have a Non-FFV Chevy Tahoe, Silverado, or Suburban from the years 2000 - 2007 with a 5.3L engine?

THANKS

I understand why your asking the question but almost all cars are able to run ethanol in small mixes to begin with  and there are no issues.    The newer cars are made to run this stuff they just dont tell people.  Dont run what I run yet but about 20% should do you well.

I understand why your asking the question but almost all cars are able to run ethanol in small mixes to begin with  and there are no issues.    The newer cars are made to run this stuff they just dont tell people.  Dont run what I run yet but about 20% should do you well.

I have no issues, I've been using E85 in a 1999 Ford ZX2 for over 5 Years with a Flextek converter I bought from Brazil.

My point is that if it is made to handle today's gasoline (High aromatic), it will handle straight E85.

Gasoline (High aromatic) has a "D" rating with aluminum

Denatured Alcohol has a "B" rating

THANKS

Jeremy- I have such a beast. It is a 2000 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L (pre-flex by 2 years-Yukon is only a "fancied up" Suburban). The fuel line feeding it has some light red rust on the exterior and is magnetic (steel). This goes into the fuel rail on each side which are black (almost like a powder paint or plastic covering) and non-magnetic. The rail endcaps are silver (possibly stainless) and non-magnetic. This vehicle has had a steady diet of E20 for at least 100,000 miles with a a couple of E60 tankfuls. 169,000 total miles (bought it used with 69,000 miles). All fuel system is factory original except for fuel pump which was weak and loud when I bought it.