Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Need help finding fuel injectors on 3.1 Chevy V6

Go to the local parts store, I think my brother works at an ORilleys in Lincoln (if you want to give him some grief I can find out which store), pick up an upper intake gasket, and pull the bolts holding the upper to the lower. Remove the baffled flex tubing to the MAF and any vacuum lines connected to the upper plenum. Yank it off there with a gentle tap from a deadblow mallet, try not to pry on it because that leaves gouges and witness marks on gasket surfaces.

Once it is off you can get to the fuel rails quite easily. Install the kit so the plenum wont hit the plugs, clean the gasket surfaces, and reinstall the upper plenum.

If it is an older 4.3, 2.8, 3.4, or 3.8 then sometimes you have a TBI setup that looks like MPFI. Im pretty sure that one has fuel rails, its been a while since I was in one. Getting the wires to connect on a kit might be a pain with the TBI, and there might not be enough room in one of those engines to run the wires out of the plenum.

If you are going to Geneva any time soon I have a bud down there who can set it up right quick, he is even better at fixin stuff than I am. I can get you his number, he is an ace at GM vehicles and almost everything domestic. He might take trade on 59 Chevy parts.

good point... I should be contacting the White Lightning people... just "didn't want to bother them" with my ignorance...

I was just peeking under the hood, looking around to get the lay of the land to see if this is something that I could do...  when I couldn't locate the injectors, it sort of worried me.  Would hate to pay $$ for something that I could possibly do myself.  Greatly increases the cost of the project... :(

No bother at all.  Give a call to our 800 number.  Dan can walk you through the installation.  My 93 Cavalier involved taking the Air intake Manifold off to get to the injectors.  Just a few bolts and a couple vacuum hoses to take off.  Replaced the gaskets which cost about $20. 

thanks Jonny,

I've emailed Dan asking for advise.  I have talked to two shops in town that I know, use and trust.

One of them (which is owned by a major dealership) said that they couldn't help me for fear of "EPA liability"... or "getting in trouble from the manufacturer..." ::)

The other (which I use a lot for different things) said that they would be able to help me out, but since this is not a standard procedure, they could not quote me any thing, or make any promises... basically I'd be over their barrel till they said they were done billing me $95/hour for standard shop fees.  He also said that they would not let the car out of the shop till they had done a full diagnostic barrage to assure that it was meeting all safety and health standards... >:(

What I think I need is for someone to

1.  Remove the intake manifold plunum and any connecting hoses/wires (to expose the injectors)

2.  Allow ME to install the harness and units (avoiding any liability on their part)

3.  Have them replace the manifold/hoses/wires removed in step 1

4.  Pay them for their labor/time

5.  Calibrate/tune it my self, using Auto-zone (or other parts stores that do free diagnostics) to decipher if it is lean or rich...

is this too much to ask?

Just out of curiosity - you only have to pull the electrical plug off the injector, correct?  And there is not enough room to do that with the manifold left on - even with long pliers?  Did those #@$&! jokers at GM make the plugs face the center of the engine?

I think I may have to get my 6 1/2 year old son roped into helping... much smaller fingers...  ;)  Just have to bait him with the promise of $1/per injector that he can reach...

He has a lego addiction, and is always up for doing what it takes to get his next fix...

Husker I will be home mid May, can you wait that long to install it? We could also open up the fuel/timing maps make adjustments and raise the fuel pressure to achieve the same thing without getting into the engine. My buddy Ray is in York quite often, his mom lives there a block off Division, he could do it too. Want me to contact him? You could hook up some weekend while you are home/

Just out of curiosity - you only have to pull the electrical plug off the injector, correct?

Exactly.

Looks like even less room along side that fuel rail in this pic.

with the help of Dan from White Lighting, we have determined that my 1999 Lumina 3.1 V6 does in fact have EV1 injectors, and I am good to go on the install.

When I look under the plunum, the injectors plug directly into the fuel rail, with the harness plugging into the injectors on the "inside"... meaning that these are both only accessable when the plunum is removed.

I found a reputable mechanic (working from his home) who has no problem doing this, and only charges $50/hour shop rate.  Stated that I will need about $5 for a new gasket as this usually gets damaged when taking it off, and is not a bad idea to replace anyways when taking the plunem off anyways...

Going to try to get it in Friday for the conversion.

Just "splash blended" hopefully my last tank on it today... only blended 4 and 3 gallons, rather then the typical 8 and 6... couldn't see buying any extra e10 then I absolutely needed to! ::)  Good riddens OPEC!  ;D