Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Need help finding fuel injectors on 3.1 Chevy V6

I recently received my e85 conversion kit, and have been looking at installing this...

they say to "unplug the injectors"... well I don't see the injectors... I see spark plugs next to the exhaust manifold... the logic tells me that the injectors might be buried under the aluminum intake manifold...

With out paying to buy a detailed manual, this is what I'm seeing.

If I need to remove the intake manifold to access the injectors, I'd better let a trained professional do this...

Any advise or input? :-\

Why aren't you calling Johnny about this?

I'm not familiar with GM, but I would assume that is a fuel line running horizontally just above the oil fill. If so, it should feed into a fuel rail.

Each injector has a connector and a fuel line entering it. The connector is the one you have to unplug.

good point... I should be contacting the White Lightning people... just "didn't want to bother them" with my ignorance...

I was just peeking under the hood, looking around to get the lay of the land to see if this is something that I could do...  when I couldn't locate the injectors, it sort of worried me.  Would hate to pay $$ for something that I could possibly do myself.  Greatly increases the cost of the project... :(

Generally speaking, each cylinder will have a spark plug (easy to find), connections to intake and exhaust and an injector. Each injector has an electrical connector and a connection to a fuel rail (which leads to a fuel line).

If you can find the spark plug, look high and low for an injector. On my Ford I had to remove a plastic cover from the top of the engine. It doesn't appear to be that simple for yours.

I do not know that engine but that large diameter shiny pipe underneath the manifold sure looks like the rail to me. The other line appears to be going right thru with 0 connections and without one wire harness tucking under it from my view. Sort of makes one appreciate what mechanics go thru to service your car and makes me REAL glad I have never ever had to replace a fuel injector. (knocks on wood). On my stuff the fuel rail and injectors are much more accessible but I did remove the engine cover and study my Saab - decided my hands could not go where they needed to for putting on a kit.

Well, it shouldn't cost anything to stop by your shop to get an estimate (and find out the location of the injectors). Nothing says you have to have them do it, if it turns out to be simple.

OTOH, it looks like they might be under that intake manifold (where outlaw noticed the fuel rail). That would be more work, but still could be do-it-yourself if you have a new gasket, some sockets and access to a torque wrench.

I don't necessarily condone this technique, but watch where the guy puts the ratchet extension - that is where the fuel injectors are.  I think I can see the tip of one just below and to the right of the red mark on the fuel rail.

edit, also found this page.  Injector is #6

http://www.greatautohelp.com/sensor-location/3400.html

I think I can see the tip of one just below and to the right of the red mark on the fuel rail.

Time to find out who's got the skinniest fingers?