Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Lifters making a racket..Oil Pump

Or so I thought..

last couple months the Old Nissan Truck (1986) started making a racket..figured the oil pump was giving out .

Cold it was worse..noisy...but even when warmed up it would get noisy then settle down .,then get noisy again.

Oil level was fine ..oil was ok but went ahead and changed it anyways and now it is quiet..!

Oil Filter was plugged ! 

I thought the truck was on it's last legs ..but sounds and runs great again..simply changing the oil filter and oil.

Back to running E70 or so in it.. had backed off to E40-E60 over the winter

I would be very concerned with what plugged the filter and what caused whatever to plug the filter.  Plugging an oil filter is not normal unless the filter just plain disintegrated inside.

I would be very concerned with what plugged the filter and what caused whatever to plug the filter.  Plugging an oil filter is not normal unless the filter just plain disintegrated inside.

Well I didnt take the filter apart if that's what you are wondering Mike  ;)  ..although now you have me thinking..and I wish I had cut it open ..to see if it was the filter itself that "disintegrated" as you say or something else .

Seems to be fine now ..no other issues at all and all the clanking stopped ...so probably the filter itself that came apart  inside ..

Anyway it's fixed...

How are you coming on fixing Texas Price spread ..they just hate ethanol down there dont they ..at least the krogers do  .. http://e85prices.com/texas.html

10-4 on that! Take another look at your filter brand (in case quality was an issue), take a look inside your filler cap and down into the valve area if you can see there (look for sludge or white gunk), look at your drain interval in both time and miles, look at your PCV valve if so equipped, and consider which oil type/brand you are using. Also- were you using any oil, adding coolant, getting any smoke of any color? Was it running flawless with no driveability issues?

That noise hopefully was only the by-pass valve in your filter if so equipped.

On an other filter issue --My son changed oil in his car today and while we were watching for oil leaks- suddenly oil started spraying from it. Turns out the old cheap Fram filter he removed left the gasket on the base and she blew out- he did not know to watch for this. We caught it and shut it down in seconds saving the engine. :o

What brand of filter are you using??  There is one in particular that has gained a NASTY reputation for collapsing due to shoddy construction...  Cardboard belongs in the box.. not the filter.

Do you drive mostly short trips?

One issue with E85 is the engine never getting hot enough to burn off condensation in the oil, which will lead to sludge build up. When I started monitoring my engine temps in cold weather I found that the WRX would barely warm up the engine after a 17 mile commute. The engine temp would be around 160 F - 180F for almost the entire trip. I switched to a warmer thermostat and engine temps were much better in cold weather.

With a 190 deg F thermostat it would reach max engine temps of 214 deg F on a hot summer day idling in traffic so the hotter thermostat was not a problem in warmer weather either.

Larry

They don't hate it at all.  They've discovered a set of customers that will blindly pay whatever price they put on E85 because they have no competition.  They're really sticking to cities that have E85 as a preferrential fuel. 

Kroger is just another company that will stick it to the customers in order to pay the stockholders.

How are you coming on fixing Texas Price spread ..they just hate ethanol down there dont they ..at least the krogers do  .. http://e85prices.com/texas.html

Well I didnt take the filter apart if that's what you are wondering Mike  ;)  ..although now you have me thinking..and I wish I had cut it open ..to see if it was the filter itself that "disintegrated" as you say or something else .

Seems to be fine now ..no other issues at all and all the clanking stopped ...so probably the filter itself that came apart  inside ..

Anyway it's fixed...

It was a Fram Filter on it..

Hotrod ..yeah the Nissan Truck is mostly short trips in it..mostly for running back and forth to the hardware store .. Good Idea switching to a hotter thermostat

We use the HHR as the daily driver

I suspect that yeah it was the filter itself that probably disintegrated as there are no other "issues" at all .. I really thought it was the oil pump the way it was acting.. so bottom line just glad that wasn't the case.