Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Energy

Seriously sick to my stomach

Ok found one place around me that has it right. Then had to laugh at what I saw at the station 2 miles down the road...

Minute Man has it right...

sg25bl.jpg

Filling up my '93 Chevy Cavalier...

width=500 height=334http://i42.tinypic.com/11h5wgj.jpg[/img]

LOL the Marathon 2 miles down the road.  30 cents more per gallon...

width=334 height=500http://i42.tinypic.com/2whnn0p.jpg[/img]

Marathon doesnt get it,  when I was back at my dads last summer in Ill  they priced it only .10 cheaper than gas.

Marathon doesnt get it,  when I was back at my dads last summer in Ill  they priced it only .10 cheaper than gas.

That's also been my impression of one of their stations in the Minneapolis area.

Marathon, around here, has placarded their pumps on "Americans for Free Fuel Choice" or something close to that. It was a web site attacking the blending of ethanol.  May their corp be hostile to ethanol?  That would be a clever dirty trick....meaning to price the E85 so and bring them in for an earful. Military call this opposition “false flag” operations. It's a dirty trick and often used upon politics. Pretend to be someone your not. Really, some vocal opponents out their. I think it's best to promote the positive and stay calm. Even responding to opposing viewpoints, don't attack. Better to consider their viewpoint and mildly discount. Refer to your personal experience and purchase as much of the product you can. I wouldn't go to the war defense. That's a red herring argument. You could employ war defense for most all economic activity such as drugs, wealth, power, and totalitarianism. Just keep the difference of opinion to simple and attractive.

Start a phone marketing campaign, with the stations. Start calling them up and asking them why E85 is so much cheaper across the river in a neighboring state. Check the rack prices in your area first so when they give you a song and dance about cost, tell them the actual rack price in their area.

Call them up and tell them you were going to fill your tank until you saw their price and decided to drive across the river and buy a full tank of fuel from them instead. Don't forget to mention they would get maximum revenue with a larger price spread picking up more volume than they lost on unit sales, with best net profit at around 20% price split.

If that does not work do some shopping around to find a TV consumer reporter that likes to poke people with a sharp stick and ask him some pointed questions, and link him to the e85 fuel prices web site.

Slow continuous pressure.

Larry

I just sent an e-mail to the GetGo website (contact us) about their "dime less" E85 price regardless of the ethanol and gasoline wholesale prices.  There is an issue in this part of the country with the limited number of E85 pumps.  It is difficult to drive to another E85 pump if it takes another 25 minutes or more of driving to reach it. 

Sometimes I have made a point of buying just a dollars worth of E85. It is a hint that I bought just enough fuel to get to another E85 outlet  ;D

There have been a few times I made the effort to go into the store and explicitly tell them their price was too high and I would have bought a full tank if they were not trying to rip me off.

Larry

This is why we need some vocal help.  The nature of greed with most Americans has to be changed.  Here is my trip today.  I went to Power Mart in Elmhurst Il to check it out.  They have American flags flying hi next to their banners for E85, ethanol and Biodiesel.  They really push the Alternative fuels hard.  Makes you want to buy American.  Then you look at the price gouging.  Truly sad that the owners of this independent station are choosing to promote under America's renewable fuels all the while taking advantage of pricing and pocketing huge amount of profit.  Praising Country First while robbing the public...

really sick...  BTW they have blender pumps

13ym8ic.jpg

Couldn't get the whole banner in.  This is the first thing you notice pulling in...

width=500 height=334http://i41.tinypic.com/5drqqv.jpg[/img]

I would love to have a little extra marketing cash and/or investors to either A)Open up a station that actually has E85 and Biodiesel at the right price or B)Blast the newspapers both Chicago and small town newspapers in these areas to let the people know the greed going on.  Maybe then they would rethink the pricing

jonny- try finding out who this company is then attempt to get ahold of the owner. I would then really praise them for their hard work to offer alt fuels and their patriotism. Then address pricing you have seen in Wisconsin and other places. Share with them that 1) E85 gets the car owner back 50-100 miles sooner so that the margin on sales per mile driven is better- especially since the E85 consumer is likely to be there more often and buy inside high margin stuff more often on a E85 to gas customer basis. 2) a better E85 price draws even more regular gas sales since the FFV owner also has other vehicles and likes to buy from someone they feel is making a difference in this world-- I can prove that with my own E10 sales- they are best when E85 has a wide spread. 3) A better E85 price will draw totally new customers and gross margin, 4) ask how the are buying E85 (or straight ethanol) and in what quanities. If they are buying 8,000 gal at a time then they certainly should be able to buy right and price right. Have them call me if you want- I could do a bit of research and find a better way for them to buy from a number of ethanol plants and advise them on the tax rules a little.

In summary I just cannot believe they want to "cut off their nose to spite themselves" -- they have a real opportunity to raise their total gross margin thru better buying, moving more units of all products, and being the local hero. Gaining local trust is better than a zillion dollars of advertising and far longer lasting. They already have their investment in the ground, structures, marketing, etc-- they need to make it work. PM me if you want my contact info.

All one really needs to do is get one marketer in each community to offer a better deal and then the others will eventually come along (they need time to study their buying) or stop offering the product at such "black eye" prices. Better to have fewer sellers than all not selling anything at all and screwing up folks attitudes towards this product. Change the world one station at a time- I am not sure that going on the attack with news media will not backfire. (think about the competitive ethanol myths that come into play for the normal person). If you chose to go on the attack then you better let the Dept of Justice do this because the media will nearly always play both sides of the story (yes- they will find some rediculous anti-ethanol "facts" somewhere) to "balance" the story.