Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Pros & Cons Ethanol

quote from fleebut;

"How about a commercial with a leggy model in summer wearing short cutoffs filling up her hot rod at the ethanol pump, bending over and smelling the fuel nozzle in appreciation. An old timer watching the movement starts to tremble the gas nozzle with a rattle. His conservative mate inside the car peers out and immediately understands her husband has been consumed by the burning fire of demon ethanol. She scolds him to old virtues of oil. Later the husband dreams of burning upon the stinky oil and watching a lovely long legged ethanol damsel smiles as she walks past the scene. "

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wow- what a word crafter- I got the image ! You write commercials or something? The could have been a Superbowl commercial (with a lot of money) ;)

My thinking on the technical part isnt so much to teach them how to do it, but to show them how simple and efficient the process is when applied properly. People fear what they dont understand or have never experienced themselves, and often they will assume that ethanol was to blame for some problem with their car, mainly because they know nothing about their car in the first place.  Some basic education dispels fears and eradicates myths, the problem is they are being told the myths are facts and that the real facts are irrelevant.

Most people wont find out for themselves, they will hear what someone they know says, or what someone writes in the paper or says on TV as facts rather than doing some leg work. People just ignore the little words "could" and "may" and just sit it as being absolutely 100% true and factual. Its human nature and the anti-ethanol types have enough people giving the wrong info to keep most people in the dark. Most have no clue about anything they are saying, they are just regurgitating what someone else told them, fact or fiction is irrelevant to them.

Its not enough to show we can run it, we have to show it is better. We have to prove it is not a detriment and let them see first hand that what they have heard is incorrect. If we dont do that it will take forever to get anywhere with the fuel. I can pull up probably 50 videos of race cars running ethanol, and even Gale Banks talking to Jay Leno about it, but in most of them (especially the Leno video) it appears to require a large expenditure to make the cars run on it. Banks said his truck has a completely stainless steel fuel system and that it is required to run E85. I know that to be somewhat misleading, because I have yet to find any of the mild steel or aluminum components in my cars being eaten by E85, and only one plastic part from the 70s had a problem.