Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Hey Rusty U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley (Waterloo) promoting fuel labeling origin

Hey Rusty U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley (Waterloo) promoting fuel labeling origin

U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley was in the Quad-Cities on Thursday to pitch a plan to label fuel that goes into drivers’ gas tanks.

Braley, a Waterloo Democrat, said with much of the crude oil in the United States imported from hostile countries, consumers should know where their fuel originates.

“When we put food in our bodies or clothes on our backs, we know exactly where those products come from,” he said. “Americans should have the same opportunity to vote with their wallets at the gas pump.”

Braley met with reporters at the Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard station at 7255 Northwest Blvd., Davenport.

The station sells E85, and Braley said labeling could increase consumer interest in the renewable fuel.

He had to run over to Davenport because Waterloo has no E85..

You want to pester him .. http://www.braley.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=81

Dan, do you have a link to the article?  I believe that is a blender pump and wanted to see if they touted the advantages of having an ethanol blender pump installed.  Also it's near my hometown and I plan to fill up there some day.  Thanks.

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/article_4c74deca-0c8f-11df-b1c1-001cc4c03286.html

Why didn't he just go over to Hudson, or over to Parkersburg?

Country of origin labeling is a good idea, but how practical is it?  Isn't it all going to get mixed up anyway?  How do I know if, for instance, all of THAT gallon came from Saudi Arabia?  Are they going to use a percentage based system?

Here is Growth's COOL Fuel Link:

http://www.labelmyfuel.com/what/

Rusty, I have read from industry insiders that it is a practicle idea.  The refineries know what's coming in and when that product will exit the other end, and can assign percentages within a small margin of error.  Yes very likely the final product at the pump would have % such as:  30% Canada 30% Arkansas 20% Mexico 10% Venezuela 10% Saudi Arabia.  Though for E10 hopefully we would also see 10% South Dakota, and not the 10% Saudi Arabia.  ;)

Since the fuel supply arriving at the fuel station does not waiver much, the stickers would be accurate within an acceptable margin of error.  Or perhaps they could average it over the coming year and place a sticker of the previous year's average on the pump, and update those yearly.

In the end it's the general idea of where the fuel is coming from that's important; not the possible small error in %.

In many markets the supply is very consistant for a brand. This is because of Geography and the type crude the brand's refinery is set up to use. Example; BP in Whiting IN, Murphy in Superior WI, Flint Hills in Pine Bend, --even the Gulf, East Coast, and West Coast refineries are limited to what they can run. Venezula crude runs heavy, is sour, high sulfur. Canadian tar sands requires very unique refining, Saudi crude tends to be somewhat lighter and more generic in needs, Bonnie light sweet (Nigerian) takes yet another set up.

Can they blend somewhat in what a refinery runs- yes- but- it is far more consistent in what they run than they would lead us to believe. I can tell you with assurance that I use 100% North American in my gas but so far the oil companies have not had to reveal to me what % is Canadian and what part is from the Dakotas. Long ago I resolved to never buy Citgo product.

The "Mother Hubbards" station in Davenport is NOT a blender station.  I've seen this on e85 sites stating that it is, but it is not.  I fueled up there on Jan24th 2009, and can vouch for this.  Unless they have some "secret" island out of the way that does.  They have about 6 islands.  The "north one" has e85 and diesel fuel on one side, and reg/super/premium unleaded on the other side...  all the rest of the islands appeared to have the standard fuels only.

Their price spread was a bit low, but better then some.