Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

North Dakota Blender Pump Program.. $5,000 per pump $40,000 per retail location

Biofuels Blender Pump Program

The 61st North Dakota Legislative Assembly provided one-time funding for a Biofuels Blender Pump Program. The funds will be awarded to retailers to help alleviate the costs of installing blender pumps.

Award Ceiling

$5,000 per pump, $40,000 per retail location.

Retailers installing ethanol blender pumps may be eligible for an additional grant of $2,500 per pump from the North Dakota Corn Council. Please visit www.ndcorn.org for details.

Match Requirements

Dollar for dollar cash match.

Guidelines

Funds can only be used for dispenser and associated hardware. No funds will be used for storage tanks, above or below ground, or any other infrastructure from the tank to the pump.

Funds will be provided to grantees on a reimbursement basis with proper supporting documentation. Supporting documentation must include:

* Confirmation that match requirement is met,

* Invoice documenting total cost,

* Certification of proper installation from the State Health Department,

* Pump warranty or other appropriate document, and

* Pump specifications detailing the number of hoses and blends.

Awardees must continue to sell biofuel blends for a minimum of 24 months of receiving assistance, or repay grant award. Repayment will be based on a pro-rated percentage. Exceptions to this repayment requirement will be considered on a case by case basis and will be at the sole discretion of the Department of Commerce.

Projects must be completed and reimbursement must be requested by October 31, 2010.

A final report of quantities of biofuel blends sold will be required at the end of the first twelve months.

A portion of the funds will be awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis. The last $250,000 funds may be awarded competitively.

North Dakota motor fuel retailers must agree to comply with pump removal guidelines, and dispose replaced pumps according to state law.

How to Apply

Organizations applying for the grant must have a DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) number and be registered with the Central Contractor Registration (CCR). Then mail completed application form and supporting documents to:

Andrea Holl Pfennig

North Dakota Department of Commerce

Office of Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency

P.O. Box 2057

Bismarck, ND 58502

Qualifications

Certification form from the State Health Department verifying proper installation and labeling will be required with the application form. NOTE: This certification form acknowledges your site's existing or new infrastructure has been approved to handle blends greater than E-10. This form must be submitted and approved by state officials before any work can be done on a site.

Ethanol pumps must be installed at a retail location and:

* Dispense at retail a blend of gasoline and ethanol in the ratio selected by the purchaser.

* Be manufactured to an industry standard and carry a manufacturer's warranty for compatibility with dispenser components and documentation of product compatibility with associated storage and piping systems.

* Comply with all alternative fuel, biofuel, and flexible fuel requirements established by law.

* Have at least 4 hoses and dispense the following: A blend of E10 or the minimum blend approved for all vehicles by the EPA; A blend of at least 20% ethanol; and

E85.

Biodiesel blender pumps must be installed at a retail location and:

* Dispense at retail varying blends of biodiesel and mineral diesel in the ratio selected by the purchaser.

* Comply with all alternative fuel, biofuel, and flexible fuel requirements established by law.

* Be manufactured to an industry standard and carry a manufacturer's warranty for compatibility with dispenser components and documentation of product compatibility with associated storage and piping systems.

Questions regarding the Biofuels Blender Pump Program should be addressed to Andrea Holl Pfennig, Program Administrator, (701) 328-2687

Documents

Blender Pump Application Form (document)

File Size: 177.34 kb

Ethanol Plants in ND (document)

http://www.communityservices.nd.gov/energy/biofuels-blender-pump-program/

Guest colchiro

I just heard this on the news last night. They announced that Dan's Oil in West Fargo was going to install a couple of blender pumps, giving you "choice at the pump". I didn't catch a date.

It is interesting that they say the pumps must have 4 hoses and dispense E10, E20, and E85, I guess the other blend is at the retailers option?

The other thing that really surprises me is the $5k per pump $40K per location. That's 8 pumps per location and since there is no option for straight gas, something you still can get in ND the last time I was there, that means a really really large station since I wouldn't expect more than 25-33% blender pumps at a given location even in Corn country.

The problem I see with all these blender pumps is how the modern FFV's that lack a FCS will respond when filled with a mid level blend. It could lead to lots of complaints of poor performance, MPG and driveablity as the computer isn't programmed to deal with that properly. Which of course will be blamed on Ethanol, not a fueling event that the computer isn't programed for.

Have you seen issues with mid-blends EMAS?

If so- what was the symptom?

We use mid-blends and bounce our fleet all over the board with blends in tank because we are always testing the various hose positions when we diagnose retail pump and nozzle issues that are common with any retail facility. We have yet to get one of our 3.5L Impala's, Silverado, or Taurus confused.

We use mid-blends and bounce out fleet all over the board with blends in tank because we are always testing the various hose positions when we diagnose retail pump and nozzle issues that are common with any retail facility. We have yet to get one of our 3.5L Impala's, Silverado, or Taurus confused.

No I haven't had any issues, in fact my Taurus returns it's best MPG on E40-E50. But mine has an actual FCS so you can't confuse it. It reads the actual E% and adjusts the fuel and timing curves on the fly.

I have to wonder if the lack of the FCS is part if not all of the reason that you note a larger decrease in MPG. Either because they don't adjust the timing curve based on E% or because you have confused the computer filling it with mid level blends and it isn't using the optimum timing, warm up and power enrichment curves for the E% in the tank.

So if you have filled them with blends in the E40-E50 what was the MPG on that blend? Have you ever used a scan tool to compare the learned E% to what is in the tank?

We use mid-blends and bounce out fleet all over the board with blends in tank because we are always testing the various hose positions when we diagnose retail pump and nozzle issues that are common with any retail facility. We have yet to get one of our 3.5L Impala's, Silverado, or Taurus confused.

No I haven't had any issues, in fact my Taurus returns it's best MPG on E40-E50. But mine has an actual FCS so you can't confuse it. It reads the actual E% and adjusts the fuel and timing curves on the fly.

I have to wonder if the lack of the FCS is part if not all of the reason that you note a larger decrease in MPG. Either because they don't adjust the timing curve based on E% or because you have confused the computer filling it with mid level blends and it isn't using the optimum timing, warm up and power enrichment curves for the E% in the tank.

So if you have filled them with blends in the E40-E50 what was the MPG on that blend? Have you ever used a scan tool to compare the learned E% to what is in the tank?

I'll look at the trims on the '05 Taurus again next time EMAS. It is true that on this Taurus the MPG's follow the blend somewhat closely. On our '06-'08 Impala's though it does not- the MPG's stay right on track with E0-10 even while running E30.

I am not sure on the Ford exactly how they handle their virtual FCS, but on the GMs the FT's won't tell you the whole story, the learned E% is a different parameter and I suspect that it is on the Fords with a VFCS system.

If the LT FT is near the max one way or another and the vehicle is in proper shape other wise it could but not necessarily indicate that the learned E% is off. A dirty MAF for example can cause the LTFT to go to near max but not necessarily show any codes nor symptoms other than pinging occasionally on some vehicles, since the inferred load % will be off.

Not worried about the FFVs or the non FFVs ...people adjust and will use what ever fuel works best. 

Do understand what you are saying though EMAS.. they will lame ethanol one way or a another anyway.

the only way to move forward,.. is to move forward.

Yes there will be issue ...there is always issues with any progress

looking forward to blender pumps