Sign in to follow this  
furball64801

Why can I run 80% E-85 without a conversion.

Dunno - all cars / ECU's are a little different.  I can think of a couple possibilities:

-Your ECU is just more tolerant of LTFT changes

-You have other conditions (fuel pressure higher than normal, intake / exhaust restriction, some sensor giving incorrect reading, etc) which have artificially lowered the LTFT, so adding high concentration of E85 hasn't bumped it back up to the limit yet.

-CEL bulb is burned out or otherwise inoperative.

It would be interesting to take a look with a scanner, see where the LTFT is at, other sensors and if there are any stored codes.

Ditto-- another reason could be that piece of black electrical tape you have over the CEL ;D

As Corey says;

"It would be interesting to take a look with a scanner, see where the LTFT is at, other sensors and if there are any stored codes."

Drop by an Autozone or other parts store and have them look for stored/pending codes. They will not likely give you the time to run it thru different rpms to see what LTFT's are in various speed/load ranges. If you are really interested you could pick up a scan tool with live readings (not a simple code reader). Mine was real cheap at $120-135 yet it stores and transfers stored run files to my laptop.

Guest colchiro

You may not get a CEL, but I'd be concerned if you spend much time at WOT or tow a trailer, since it might be too lean.

Chrysler traditionally has had one of the highest amounts of possible long term fuel trim of any manufacturer up to 35% on the older models. Not sure what the programed range for a 2005 is, though the common range on most OBDII vehicles is 20-25% which leaves enough in most cases, assuming that the vehicle components are very close to spec, to run ~E70.

Guest colchiro

My 2005 Toyota Rav4 (2.4L) wasn't too bad, I hit my first CEL at E81.

The Ford? We'll we won't go there.

Just to share informaton, the Ford Powertrain and Emission book I have states a "too lean" CEL occurs at +25 LFT value.  I don't have the book in front of me but I can post this information if anyone wants it.  From Blume's book, one can multiple this value by "2" to obtain a rough estimate of what the max ethanol % a vehicle can handle.  This would indicate my 2005 FEH would handle around 50% ethanol unmodified.  This 50% value is very smiliar to what two other FEH owners have reported in the past.