Sign in to follow this  
paganegyptian

2000 Chevy S-10

I bought a 2000 S-10 FFV I4 from a Beer company back in November. It had 181,000 miles on the clock. I decided to do a test, I ran a tank of Regular on it, and I got 31mpg, then ran 3 tanks of E85, and got 30. well, 4,000 miles later mileage went to 14mpg, being either Gas or E85. I foudn out the second Catalytic Converter had a lot of restriction, and the converter company advised against of replacing it, IF I was only to use E85. So they told the muffler shop to chop it and install a plain pipe in its place.

The results.....  I went from 14 mpg on open highway, to 30.5 mpg, on E85.

I did not use a O2 Simulator, or have the downstream O2 turned off in the PCM, and I have not had a Check Engine Light yet. YES< that means my pollution is within design of the vehicles limits for that year model, without a Cat on it..

I can pass all Sniffer test by state inspections. If they do a visual check, I would have to put a casing or a resonator there saying its a Cat. But I was only running actual test. I love the gain in power, exhaust flow, and sound... 

Next step is to adjust the Maps in the PCM , to eliminate the CA emissions... like turing off Emissions, Raising Timing for 100 octane, remove speed governor, and calibrating the Speedometer for my 2" taller tires.

Sorry for the long rant, but I found it neat as this is my first time manipulating a FFV, and seeing how far one can go.

The sole purpose of any cat on a car is emissions, there is no other benefit to having a chunk of platinum hanging under the vehicle. The modern cats built after 85 or so dont have much negative impact unless they are plugged. Fill one up and you will lose performance, economy, and a wad of cash getting it replaced. If it is working good, just leave it there since its less legal hassle even if you live in a state without inspection.

We can get decent mileage with ethanol, especially in trucks that need torque.

At one shop I was asked if I would like the 2 cats on my car punched through (left in place but plates punched through). At 207,500 miles I am getting 2 CEL's for cat efficiency but mpg has held to original. Two converters (bank 1/bank 2) costs over $1,000 installed at dealer. Not sure how effective having someone punch a hole thru the plates would be- I wonder if it could make them come loose and really plug flow.

Catalytic converters are another example of petroleum industry subsidization.  Without them, the populace of taxpayers would be burdened by additional medical costs related to gasoline and diesel pollution.  By putting in cats, we are forced to pay the $1,000 per vehicle to reduce the petroleum fuel pollution.  You and I subsidize the oil industry in this hidden way when we buy our car.