Sign in to follow this  
cessna

10% ethanol in old boat

Along the same lines of this topic - I wonder if we would be wise to 'sticky' a topic in the boat section dealing with the ethanol / fiberglass tank issues?  As this does seem to be one issue which is real - not hearsay from someone's cousins uncle who once burned moonshine in a boat.

I wonder if that is actually necessary. I agree that the issue is real but according to one article I read the number of boats effected by this issue is really small. Here is the quote from the article I mentioned.

"While this organization recognizes that older boats may "experience significant difficulties with E10 ethanol," it says these difficulties "affect less than 1 percent of the 13 million registered boat owners in this country.""

http://www.c-bstatesman.com/news/2008/0904/Front_Page/001.html

Quote from article;

"Another precaution is to not mix the two types of fuel available for boats.

"If you mix the two gases together, it'll create crystals in the system," Miller said. "I saw a motor that had this, and it took several hundred dollars to fix it."

Boy- Mr Miller is a bit off -- he is right about mixing fuels back and forth-- the lower the ethanol blend is the more likely one could get a phase separation so I would agree that it is better to stay with E10 (or if you want E0) but his crystal bit is over the top a little -- this could be from the phase separation.

Notice the Minnesota folks were fairly laid back about this?

I am visiting my sister and just went for a boat ride in Mobjack Bay just off the Chesapeake Bay. The boat runs fine now on 10% ethanol mixed with oil so either they got some watered fuel or 30% before. According to my brother-in-law, they were using 10% in Illinois before the recent move here. I also noticed the pump we filled the 5 gal jugs from looked like a blender with one hose and 3 octane numbers---the highest being 93. The pump had a contains 10% ethanol sticker on it and it looks like all three octanes are 10%. There is an Amoco oil refinery on the York River about 2 miles from their house.