Sign in to follow this  
CWGrizzwold

Cary, NC E85 Pump

The Shell station (which is also a McDonalds) at the corner of Lake Pine Road and US Highway 64 is adding an E85 pump (still haven't taken the wrapper off of it yet).  I drove by it today after picking up some McDs and darn near stopped, got out, and kissed it.  I worked on ethanol and ethanol vehicles (Ethanol Vehicle Challenge) all throughout college at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, but never thought I would see a public pump this close to my house in North Carolina!  Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the FlexFuel option on my '07 Avalanche.

Go ahead Grizz- know you want too--- give that pump a big hug ;D

You may be just the  guy I have looked for--- did you work on the '99 Silverado project?  I never could find out after the optimization work you guys did --what was the before and after mpg (gas vs E85) ?

Oh- and hang around us and you will be sneaking E85 at some % into that Avalanche even if it remains w/o mods. ;)

Don't encourage him about the E85 mixing...

His fuel tank and filter will fill with gunk, spark plugs will build up deposits, carbon monoxide could fill his garage, and toxic benzine emissions may enter the cab of his Avalanche.  Also, soldiers will need to go far away lands to die to keep it cheap, our national debt will surge even more, other nations will control our policies through our addiction to it, summer time budgets will be strained, and our children's lives will be hampered by its use.

No, wait a second, that is gasoline...    ???

Got it ..thanks Grzz

Ready for prices http://e85prices.com/north-carolina.html

The Shell station (which is also a McDonalds) at the corner of Lake Pine Road and US Highway 64 is adding an E85 pump (still haven't taken the wrapper off of it yet).  I drove by it today after picking up some McDs and darn near stopped, got out, and kissed it.  I worked on ethanol and ethanol vehicles (Ethanol Vehicle Challenge) all throughout college at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, but never thought I would see a public pump this close to my house in North Carolina!  Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the FlexFuel option on my '07 Avalanche.

I will try to get a picture once the shipping plastic and everything is taken off of it.  It sits right in the middle of the main pumps and looks kind of heroic!

Yes, I might be the guy that you are looking for as I headed up the '99 and '00 Ethanol Vehicle Challenges for UNL.  I just looked and the website I maintained is still up and running on their server (don't ask me how).  Some of the links are broken but most of the stuff that pertains to our vehicles is still there including our two SAE papers.

http://www.engr.unl.edu/~ethanol/

I will dig up some more information regarding before and after fuel economy.  Keep in mind everyone's conversions were different.  We took a balanced approach that didn't primarily focus on fuel economy.  We wanted good power as well as good cold startability.

It was a great project for us (being from Nebraska and the heart of Ethanol) and we all had a ton of fun.

Go ahead Grizz- know you want too--- give that pump a big hug ;D

You may be just the  guy I have looked for--- did you work on the '99 Silverado project?  I never could find out after the optimization work you guys did --what was the before and after mpg (gas vs E85) ?

Oh- and hang around us and you will be sneaking E85 at some % into that Avalanche even if it remains w/o mods. ;)

Cool- you're the man ! I tried to call the University prof and advisor a couple of years ago to find out the mpg side- it was not in the '99 paper. It seemed like everyone had moved on and I could not find out anything.

Sorry Dan, I should have given you the actual address.  Here it is.

902A US HIGHWAY 64 W

APEX, NC 27523-7186

919-462-8332

Got it ..thanks Grzz

Ready for prices http://e85prices.com/north-carolina.html

Actual MPG wasn't calculated until we did the "official" run on Black Lake at the Milford Proving Grounds and at the facilities in Canada. They also did some dyno work.

Here are the results from the 1999 EVC.  The second tab on the sheet has the fuel economy information.  I need to find the 2000 data as I don't have it electronically, but I know I have it up in the attic.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~clarkotte/99EVC%20Scoring.xls

Cool- you're the man ! I tried to call the University prof and advisor a couple of years ago to find out the mpg side- it was not in the '99 paper. It seemed like everyone had moved on and I could not find out anything.

Grizz is that 22 seconds for cold start ? 

ethanolcontest.JPG

Cold Start and MPG I belive are the most crucial points for "home" conversions ..

Do you recall any special knowledge about cold start issues

No, on the first sheet those are all scores out of the max available at the top of the column.  For cold start the max points were 25 which went to UT-Austin with a time of 3.8 seconds (found on the second sheet).  We started in 7 seconds and were awarded 22.6 points.  There is no need to pay attention to the first sheet. All the data you guys are looking for is on the second sheet.

Cold start was a pain in the butt as you are all well aware of.  I would have to look at UT-Austin's SAE paper to see how they tackled it.

Grizz is that 22 seconds for cold start ? 

ethanolcontest.JPG

Cold Start and MPG I belive are the most crucial points for "home" conversions ..

Do you recall any special knowledge about cold start issues