Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Lets add a extra gas tank on my Truck before winter..

Lets go back to my original solution for a moment ..Adding a small Aux Gas tank something like this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_20872_20872?cm_vc=C5503

In the morning after my truck has sat all night will there be any fuel in my fuel lines..? wll all the pressure drop out over night ?

The reason I am wondering is ..Ok So Its 10 degrees outside, I get in the  truck and I flip a switch to the AUX tank...and turn the ignition.. I would still be trying to "fire" the left over ethanol in the lines before the AUX even kicks in if there is still fuel in the lines from the previous day ..right ?

Or it would be so little (left over fuel) and with the gas kicking in as well it wont matter and should fire right off?

Guest colchiro

Dan, all the fuel in the line between the switch and the injectors will be E70, unless you do what the bio-diesel people do.... remember to switch it to gas before shutting it off. They have the same problem you know. Vegetable oil doesn't like a cold engine, (even when we're not talking about winter) and have to have diesel for starting it up.

Duh !  :-[  :D  

Ok ..then ..I think for this project it makes the most sense ..and one of the safer conversions.

I'll get the heat tape ...and the gas tank and fuel line, valves ..and determine if I want a electronic set up or just a manual valve etc.. and maybe in Sept when it starts cooling off a bit actual start the install.

unless you do what the bio-diesel people do.... remember to switch it to gas before shutting it off.

Perfect ..Actually Northern Tool (we have one in town) has one almost Identical except it's fire engine red and it a little less expensive $98..I should be able to get all the fuel line, connectors and switch for under $50 If I do a manual switch

5 gallons ..thats a months worth of cold starts or more before I have to fill it up ..that's perfect

How about this one Dan:

http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow/show_item.asp?product_id=91076249

Then, during the last couple miles before you shut it down in the evening, through the switch on your way home.  It will be ready in the morning for you.

Of course, if money is not an issue, then you could always try this one- a bit more expensive, but really cool looking:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOON-3-1%2F2-GALLON-FUEL-TANK-W%2FBRACKETS-MOONEYES-%23MG501_W0QQitemZ300322133256QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090613?IMSfp=TL0906132310005r15346

You could mount the spun aluminum one in front of the grille just like a Deuce.

My F150 has dual tanks under it, if I wanted to go that route I could put ethanol in one, and gas in the other, or add a couple more tanks so I can fit more ethanol.

If your fuel system is a return type then it will move the fuel through the lines on start up, and during cranking (with some vehicles) so it would get gas after a few seconds. If its deadhead then its like the diesel and you would have to run all of the fuel from the lines before you shut it down.

You are going to run a block heater right? That makes a big difference. They are cheap too.

Guest colchiro

In the hybrid newsgroups they highly recommend using a block heater (usually on a timer) so you can start and drive-off, rather than letting it idle while warming up.

Here's the thing that's been puzzling me about that "Bobcat" engine Ford has been promoting.

Why would you build a gasoline engine with an E85 auxillary, when you could build a an E85 engine with a gasoline auxillary?

Here's the thing that's been puzzling me about that "Bobcat" engine Ford has been promoting.

Why would you build a gasoline engine with an E85 auxillary, when you could build a an E85 engine with a gasoline auxillary?

Because the rest of the USA and most of the world doesnt see ethanol as a superior fuel, they view it as problematic and hard to come by while being bad for the wallet.