Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Lets add a extra gas tank on my Truck before winter..

This winter I want to be prepared for cold starts with my 1986.5 Hardbody Nissan ..

I have come to the conclusion at least for this truck that my best option is simply to add a second smaller gas tank..5 Gallons would probably be perfect for just starting the truck each morning for a month or so before I'd need to refill.

I think I can probably do this with you hotrodders helps ..Corey , Thumpin you out there ? Larry , Tinker etc..  The Truck has 3.0 V6 fuel injected  ..

Will I be able to tie into the fuel line? What all will I need ?  I'll start getting the parts and do it some Saturday.. Maybe I'll put it on the FlipVideo as well so the next person can folow the steps and not screw up where I eventually will  :D

You're making it a little too complicated, IMO. I have a secret VQ30 fetish :P Let's get you a good tune for damn cheap that you can do at home, Dan. Trust me to do it right? It's the formula for my 37mpg hotrod. I want to see you freak out over the power and mileage gains both.

1.) Cold starts. What about your own heat tape idea? I want to try that, but it's not cold anymore for now.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5045.html

2.) Try the plug swap I keep talking about. Go with colder, tighter plugs like I did. GET NGK PLUGS!!!!!!!! Your stock heat range is a 5, and you need a 6.

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/ignitionpartsnissan/pathfinderitems.html

The VQ30's compression is 10:1, just like my Subie. The bore and stroke aren't too far off, either. It's an oversquare engine, just like my car. Your fuel capacity is okay. Since you aren't pushing a lot of power, you're putting less stress on the fuel system or engine. It's easy to make torque with E85, but horsepower requires a lot more fuel and RPM. This should be a killer offroad truck in 4-lo.

We're not going to worry about jacking up your fuel pressure yet. Leave it as stock as possible and just change the plugs for now. We'll sort out your cold start issues as the thread progresses. Colder plugs remove more heat from the combustion chamber and put it into the head and cooling system. Change the plugs and just go for the throat with a 50/50 blend.

Later, add a fuel pump to bump your fuel pressure. Modify as little of the truck as possible because you don't have to.

Tinker/Gt I'm running full E85 now and I have it running perfect ....the only thing I need to sort out is cold start..

It runs really nice but even in summer I have to crank it a couple times to to start ..just in the morning..once started even If I dont drive it for 12 hours it will start right back up first crank

I dont want to do anything that is going to run richer and lose  mpgs..  so I figure the easiest thing to do is simply have a aux tank for cold start ...and it's project I haven't done yet..

I will look at heat tape again though..that also intrigues me .. I have  a small trickle solar charger hooked up to the battery..ummm...maybe run dual batteries .use a solar trickle charger on that and hook the electric heat tap upto that ?

Dan-- was your model of truck ever available with dual factory tanks like a lot of full size P/U's were?--- if so--other than adding the fill tube thru the body the rest would be easy. BUT- like "Tink says-- why if you can get there another way. However for the old boys with dual tank Fords already equipped-- this worked great for cold start/shutdown.

No dual tanks..that would be perfect .

cold start is the only issue, MPG is good thats why I am not big on increasing fuel pressure with an adjustable FPR ..unless you can boost pressure just on ignition

Just seems like the easiest thing to do is simply add a small aux tank like the original flexfuel kit did (for cold starts)  in Brazil..but I would want a 5 gallon instead of a 1 gallon..seems like all I need is a tank, fuel hose ..a splitter to join in the fuel line.. some sort of valve to stop backflow ..a little bit of wire and a switch

Dan-- was your model of truck ever available with dual factory tanks like a lot of full size P/U's were?--- if so--other than adding the fill tube thru the body the rest would be easy. BUT- like "Tink says-- why if you can get there another way. However for the old boys with dual tank Fords already equipped-- this worked great for cold start/shutdown.

The wiper heater looks perfect. I'd go with that. It's simple and self contained with no need for a 120v jack. It would basically provide enough heat to defrost the lines or warm them up, instead of getting hot enough to melt anything. Think of it like an electric coffee cup :P.

Silver_Wired_Mug_Warmer.jpg

Fuel upgrades are an option. But, please do check your plugs. If they are white with a tan tip, they're too hot. Since it doesn't detonate as easily when lean and hot, you have to check the plugs a bit more often when dialing it in. Your first heavy load could be ugly trying to tow with the wrong plugs. It would meltdown going up a hill or loading up against something heavy. In some respects, racing replicates this heavy load through acceleration instead of weight.

Good to hear it runs on E85 with no issues or conversion tricks.

Do you know if the truck is a return line system or not?  If it has a return line, that complicates things a bit, because then you're pumping some of your gas into the ethanol and vice versa every time you switch tanks.  Plus, you need double the plumbing for each tank and you'd probably need a full blown "dual tank switching valve" from some truck which had the dual tanks.

If you have no return line, the plumbing would be a bit more simple, but it also means you'd have to plan ahead a bit to make sure the line and fuel rail was purged with the appropriate fuel before each shutdown.

The most simple scheme I could think of would be to get a fuel primer pump like used in the jet ski / 4 wheeler market.  Just hook this up to your second tank and you could pump a couple squirts of gas in to get started in the cold.  http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/07-7000.html?id=L9EohIGs

07-7000.gif

Of course, if you wanted the pump inside the truck, that means running gas lines inside the cab...not the best idea, but you could probably mount the pump to minimize the length.  Or you could mount it outside, but that could be a PITA in -20ºF, too.

The last thing I'd be curious about is whether the electric air heaters used for diesel engines would work.  Basically an electric heater which would fit in the intake.  You'd only have to wire a switch and a relay.  Then probably push the switch for a few seconds to warm up the heater then start the truck.  Might have to run a little bigger battery, or maybe two smaller ones to get the required power, but this might be the most simple approach - if the hot air is enough to light E85.

Ebay Heater 98-02 5.9 Cummins Diesel

!BTul5ZQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKJ+MI7CoQ~~_1.JPG

Corey ..that's what I was looking for " primer kit"  .. and then a tank something like this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_20872_20872?cm_vc=C5503

So I can mount the tank in the bed ...the primer could me mounted right next to ..so  in the morning it wont be a hassle ..simply hit the primer a few times as I get in truck

return line or not? Not sure I'll take a look today

you see anything wrong with a system like that ?