Sign in to follow this  
Steve-O

Marvel Mystery Oil

I know there are a million people on this board who know alot about internal combustion engines and ethanol, so I am afraid this question may sound kind of lame.  I am no engineer or technician, just someone who likes to run as much as i can in my (non FFV) cars, so I use what I can by pumping in only E20 which I have access  to, and occasionally adding a little E85 to it. I doubt I ever go over E 30.

I have know idea where this question would best be asked on this forum, so I'll ask it here.

So, is it my imagination, or am I getting better mileage adding exactly 6oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to each of my about 15 gallon tanks at each fill up? I haven't calculated it, and have rarely used additives prior, but it seems that I am doing about 3 mpg better (only on straight highway driving that is) by adding this stuff to my fuel mix which is best guess on average about E23.

I have been putting this in both vehickes since May 1st and have taken one trip with each since where I was on the hwy for more than a full tank. Upon refill (my simple calculations are math in my head looking at the trip odo. and the receipt LOL) the mileage in these cases seemed a little better. Maybe I just had favorable winds those days.

Of course, the marvel's website says it works great with ethanol up to E85. Any opinions on the benefit of using this as I continue to use higher ethanol percentages?

Steve-O,

I have seen more than a few add Marvel to E85 while filling non-ffv's. No idea if it works. As Rusty says- track it over many replicated trials with many controls (no Marvel). Methanol racers have used caster oil and airplane version of E85 contains a small amount of soy methyl ester- neither of these apps usually involve an O2 sensor.

Just one caution- too much could leave deposits in E20-E30 blends. Remember that fuel specifications for gasoline tightly control endpoints which are mostly oils- this prevents smoke, deposits, etc.

I have also seen a few use seafoam. Keep in mind people throw a lot of stuff in gasoline and most of it is throwing money away. For example- I see "Heat" in the wastebins although virtually almost every station now has E10 here and at mine E10 is the lowest % one can buy. They just do not realize there is no need for it and after putting 10 gallons of E10 in they added 1 gallon of alcohol before they added their $2 pint of methanol or isopropyl.  :D

There are fuel lubricants made by major additive suppliers (who sell to refiners and blenders--not OTC) that one can use at approx 4 ml (cc) per 10 gallon but even at this low level there is a counterpart detergent recommended at 4 ml to complement it. If you like experimentation let me know by pm. I can set you up with some for trial-- only caution-- must be handled with care. This stuff has benzines and other nasties typical of gasoline in it. I have seen very modest response from this material.

Guest colchiro

I guess I'm not ready to start adding something that could leave a deposit on my o2 sensor. I'd prefer a couple oz of vegetable oil (or bio-diesel) before Mystery Oil, but I've seen previous references to using that as a lubricant with E85.

I'm with Outlaw, there's too many additives that aren't needed with E85 (dumbasses).

My brother swears by this and harps on me to use it more than I push E20 on him LOL. He is on his second Grand Marquis V8 which he is approaching 170K, he got 180K out of his last one. Claims better mileage too but I don't think he ever ran without it LOL. But he changes his oil religiously so I keep telling him that's the reason.

I always figured that fuel additives were a waste, especially heet when E10 is what you're putting in.

Normally I have achiveved 29.3 MPG on 4 lane hwy driving consistently with this car with my usual E20+ fuel. I hit 32, but I realize I'll need an "over time" average. Other car gets 32.8 and I got 35 last time with it. I am obsessive about slow steady acceleration and never going over 65, so yeah I drive like an old lady LOL but wouldn't call myself a hypermiler. When someone whips by me at 80 I just think to myself "looks like alot more fun but the fuel man "...I'll begin today using testing overall mileage as opposed to just highway, with and without the additive. I doubt that the Marvel's can hurt so why not. BTW I heard that the Marvels is largely rapseed (sp?) oil, but I imagine it has other chemicals, (maybe detergents?) thrown in. Never heard of putting a shotglass of veg. oil in a tank before, is that something people do?

I'll run 1000 total on E20 and Marvels and 1000 total on E 20 alone taking the same route every day with this car (70% 4 lane at 65, 30% city). I'll report back just to see if there is a difference. My guess is no but I'd just like to see.

I would rather do this with E30, but I doubt I could be consistent with blending it. I am always somewhere between 20 and 30 but thats as specific as I can get with what I normally run these days.  But since I can get E20 right out of the pump at Renew I guess I'll have to stick to just E20 for consistency :(

OK here are the first results. I will now run another 1000 with this 2.0L Hyundai Elantra on E 20 before trying to blend my own E30 :) ...not expecting much of a mileage increase at this time. This is as controlled as I could do it, driving the same routes as much as possible, air on the way home, no air on the way in to work consistently etc. But for anyone curious here is the first half, driven with Renew E20 plus the Marvel's...

Fuel Burned = 39.06 G + 16 oz Marvels (4 oz per 10G)

Distance = 1070.2

MPG = 27.30

Contrary to what I said before, this is 50/50 Highway/City. Had to change my daily route due to construction!

Now without the Marvels...to follow

I had to start over on phase two. Had to take this vehicle down to Sussex a couple nights ago, so I figured 200 highway miles would throw it off. I was unable to take the other car because my wife needed it. So, I topped it off with a few gallons of E85 and a little marvels for kicks, and took the trip.

Obviously I have to begin the 1000 miles again for phase two which I will as soon as I run the current tank down for the next fill up. I DO want to complete the second half because I worked so hard on accuretely recording and measuring the marvels for the first half. It's always something :)

I have abandoned the second half of this project at close to 500 miles now, averaging 27.8 MPG WITHOUT the Marvels, and 27.3 with it

I cannot be consistent enough in my driving patterns these days to do a "real" test.

But I can take a pretty confident guess that Marvel Mystery Oil has no effect on mileage. I can also say it has no discernable effect to me, neither positive nor negative, at this time.

Long term it probably won't hurt anything.

I think in my original post I had good winds or more downhill than up or something like that. Maybe I was driving behind 18 wheelers to reduce drag...

Besides, I want keep my tank around E30 :)