Sign in to follow this  
SacramentoE-85

Automakers Spurn E85 Flex Fuel Vehicles?!

What do we make of this?!

"An industry trade group led by Detroit's Big Three urged lawmakers on the House Energy and Commerce Committee this week to oppose language in the Democrats' energy and climate bill that would force automakers to produce more flex-fuel vehicles.

"Thus far, Congress has refrained from picking technology winners; these [flex-fuel vehicles] mandate proposals do exactly the opposite," wrote Dave McCurdy, president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a trade group representing the Detroit automakers, Toyota Motor Corp. and others. "[Flex-fuel] mandates will divert important limited resources away from the development of other advanced vehicle technologies."

Link:

scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=detroit-automakers-ethanol-mandate

(Add the http://www in front of the link.)

Guest colchiro

I like this part.... How about you, Dan? :P

Engel has voiced his displeasure with the strength of the flex-fuel language and has indicated he may introduce an amendment that would require half of new U.S. cars and trucks to be able to be flex-fuel capable starting in 2012, with the mandate jumping to 80 percent by 2015 -- regardless of fuel availability.

.I'd even be happy with that ..As a MANDATE and not just as the current "pldege" by the auto Industry ..certainly prefer all FFV ASAP but bare minimum the Mandate 80% 2015..  as Engel says "Regardless" of if infrastructure (E85) the is there or not .

The reason that is so important whether or not E85 infrastructure is as widespread as the want ..is so that even with out higher ethanol blends everywhere .. all these new vehicles will be able to run on the additive blends of E15-E30 . having the FFVs means these lower additive blends can start being introduced even with less "concerns"

I like this part.... How about you, Dan? :P

Engel has voiced his displeasure with the strength of the flex-fuel language and has indicated he may introduce an amendment that would require half of new U.S. cars and trucks to be able to be flex-fuel capable starting in 2012, with the mandate jumping to 80 percent by 2015 -- regardless of fuel availability.

"Automakers say adding flex-fuel technology will force the price tag up an additional $100 to $300 per vehicle."

OK lets see..  $100 to $300 for Flex Fuel Technology

$3,000 to $10,000 for Hybrid Technology

$10,000 to $30,000 for electric Technology

$100K for Hydrogen Technology

Yeah having to spend $100-$300 to give consumers a Choice at the pumps is an astronomical number .. :P

Hell why not pay them $300 per vehicle now.. $200 next year , $100 in 2013 and 450 per vehicle in 2014

We'd see 100% FFV by ..Oh lets see 2010  :D

I suppose we can give you "credits" for the conversion   :D

Hmmmmmmmm- I wonder what these automakers want now??????? Could it be--------?

"Automakers say adding flex-fuel technology will force the price tag up an additional $100 to $300 per vehicle."

I wonder how much power windows, seats, and door locks  cost? I could easily get by without those items.

Did anyone associated with the automakers itemize the hardware/software differences "required" with FFV?  Would any politician worth their "seat" lean on this group to exactly reveal what the $100-$300 difference obtains?  Or would this group "wheel" out a bunch of stuff that isn't used in all FFV's?