Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

Duke- Corn Ethanol bad

This might be in left field, or maybe hanging out with baseball gear at a swimming pool.

Here lately I am beginning to think that most people just do not care about their future, provided they have TV or whatever right now to placate them. They will believe whatever Duke or whomever says, provided they are someone who should know more than they do. They dont want to find out for themselves, they will just take someones word for it and spread that notion as if it were fact.

I try not to bring things like religion or politics into it, because far too many people try to make things fit a certain mold provided by an outside entity, like religious/political belief. I am not saying I am atheist or anything, only that I do not let anyone else dictate my thinking on any subject. I have a brother who is all up in arms over Obama and gun control, but he didn't mind that the Patriot Act pretty much nullified 3 other amendments. I dont like any of them, and I worked for both Bush's.

Lately I am considering selling some of my older vehicles that happen to be relatively valuable, to finance my project. I cant find funding or other interested parties where I live, so the thought occurs to just watch out for me and mine. Just get my project going and liquidate some things that are in essence tying me down. At least I am not making payments on anything and I dont have interest building on loans. I see a challenge ahead for all of us, and ethanol is part of the solution, and I really need to "Git'er done" before the fit hits the shan.

The powers that be will never let ethanol get big, but it can be part of my answer to the future. For those who want to watch TV and give up their freedoms, well I am not among them. So with that, the static electricity in the tinfoil is causing a magnetic field that is making the screen change colors and the computer is glitchy.

The powers that be will never let ethanol get big,

Sure they will ..as soon as THEY their cut is assured.. that's why Oil is buying up Ethanol Plants..

Which I believe should be "banned" ..as I have stated since 2005

BUT..the thing about Ethanol is while they can get over time they can control a large percentage ..they can never control the entire market ...

From the backyard ethanol producers to Investor Coops that would never sell to Oil ..

Oil's got deep pockets.  The laws can change, especially now that the big government people are in office.  ;)

Are now in office? What about the last 8 years and the largest gov't expansion ever except maybe when they instituted the WPA. Don't get me wrong I believe them all to be crooks. And all the republicans in now are opposing project because they cost to much. WHERE were they for the last 8 years went we were going bankrupt on the other party's watch. About ethanol, I agree with you that laws can and will be changed to prevent people from making their own fuels. Point in fact perpetual motion machines are against the law filed under a danger to the national security. So that's the end of that. Look what they did to Nicola Tesla when he wanted to supply people with free electricity, they hounded and bankrupted him and gave his stuff to someone who would play ball -- Thomas Edison and Tesla was pretty much wiped from history except in Europe where they honor him and have an university named after him.

"Lol, nuclear energy has been marketed to atom bomb death....that can't be safe....you can't fool me. Besides I don't want those B'Africians going hungry. My conscious not greedy enough to burn their food supply upon my carbon fueled car.  I like the Planet and intend to make sure others can enjoy it in the future, by not burning ethanol and encouraging investing in green energy even if I have to give up some things. The planet is worth it to me.  You folks all want to destroy the planet, not me."

Even after last years attacks on food for fuel we still had corn left over and it sits and rots. Later.

Dragon, I was trying to imitate the opposition and be funny. Sometimes more effective to just repeat what they say. That food for fuel thing was so pathetic, just a quick gottcha attack upon ethanol. The media picks it up and runs with a story as to lazy to do analysis or at least get opposing information. This story an easy ploy to avoid taking responsibility. Meaning the grocery chains had to blame someone. Also, a ton of mechanics have learned to blame ethanol for excessive repairs.

I went to a agricultural web site and was surprized on percentage usage of corn. Cattle munch most of it, maybe the cattle should switch to their native diet of grass instead and start producing healthy meat. I believe ruminants eat grass. As you say, we still had an oversupply last year.

DW:

Yes, the Repbulican's aren't any better.  I'm registered as an Independent, formerly Republican.  Problem is that both parties are "big government" any more.  The reasons that the Republicans appear to have changed their tune, so to speak, is that they got beat down hard last election, and now they can't do anything positive anyway, even if they wanted to, so they might as well appear to be doing the right thing.  You know if they held any real power they'd go back to being big gov't a** holes.

Gov't always a poor choice to solve societal problems. Fought with inefficiency, corruption, and greed. These problems institutionalized, never to change upon history as compared to private sector that will soon go out of business if trying to practice the same. Way to many educated to warm fussies of gov't control and evil capitalism. Lol, I remember back in early elementaryl (public Ed) my textbook had a hand sketch depiction of our history of making money. A fat businessmen was cutting trees down wholesale with hand out receiving a fist full of money for his dirty deeds. The wide eyed animals sadden and crying. Wow, what a bunch of propaganda for third graders. These teachers didn't realize most of the class had parents making a living upon logging and knew full well the love and respect their parents had for forestry and wildlife.

The problem of Presidents, they have one chance to make History and not so concerned with politics as themselves. They must think in terms of omnipotent or as chosen for reason.  Elite status soon follows as most will stroke their ego to get promoted as they have much power to do so.  I read of the current leader....if he is one like Clinton pragmatic, he will operate gov't for what's good for country to win...IOWs he didn't care if the ideas came from the Contract with Americia he took them as his own as smart enough to know the value. This style of leader a harbinger of great economy and future as he takes the best from both sides. Contrary if the leader was stuck in personal ideals totally different scenario as this the most dangerous. Leaders who don't care, the end justifies the means a small price to pay for Nirvana once he is able to change the country to his ways. If this the case very dangerous to have total control of government. A magnifying effect. I was surprised voters allowed this as most realize putting gov't within balanced control a good thing. To hamstring desires within reason.

John Taylor a well respected economist often consulted and well studied upon the Great Depression had it were wrong headed upon improving economy. That deficit spending not that powerful on the huge private economy. We need to forget the micro projects and establish a monetary policy. Getting that right has much power. Government usually an obstacle to economic recovery. Best to get back to basics. Infrastructure always good expenditure, but mostly avoid massive intervention of private economy. Send the money to locals and States better than managing from Washington. Cut tax structure, tax rates and promote not increasing cost of government an excellent stimulus. What we've done so far is same as GW only bigger cost. It's just to tempting for leadership to get their finger prints all over the easy money in hopes things turn around and they become legions for handing out the doe. It would take self disipline to do the right thing. Way to tempting to spend other peoples money for popularity.

I grew up in a dem. household and and union. I remember when we went on strike and police were called in because mgmnt. was scared and so were the police (steel workers you know). That was all the company needed to start moving. My father and I gave up lots of pay raises to ensure health care for family and for my Ma if anything happened and it did. in the last 30 years the company has been sold and resold so many times and each time my mother's benefits got cut each time and now it is barely nothing, so what did we give up all those pay raises for. Just like the gov't raiding the S.S. fund first to bomb N. Vietnam and ever since to do what ever they wanted to with the extra member. If it was left alone as it should have been it would be solvent.

As I stated before I could very easily be a Republican IF they were what they started out to be (right here in Ripon, Wi.) states right and Feds were only tasked with defending the nation which has turned in to send everything to the Feds and hope the states get a % in return. Have any of you noted when someone starts off with a reform they end up being exactly what they wanted to stop and usually became worse. Later.

Agree, with that stronger states rights comment, something the country was founded on. That all came to change back in "New Deal" economic emergency times. Before that, mostly local gov't and State had economic power and federal spending held to typical 5% of GNP. The word Liberal still signified a belief in individual liberty rather than paternalistic government. Nor did American worker view themselves so much as a class in those years. They viewed themselves as moving up and down the economic ladder. 

The Great Depression National Recovery Administration on whole retarded recovery. Critical to FDR's plan was to invent ways to alter the bonds with Washington. He utilized the PWA, put it under Secretary of Interior Harold Ickes (father of Harold M. Ickes Democrat strategist of Clinton years) in charge of it.  The PWA role to fund buildings, bridges, and other structures in towns and villages all over Americia. They went to counties and towns to offer grants, and loans to build schools, dams or powerplants and any kind of public building. PWA regional offices sent all request to Ickes and FDR to review. The local gov't felt powerful able to allocate money to favorite projects. The scale of pwa was stunning. The power stunning, Ickes wrote in his diary that he felt that his job gave him the ability to reshape the country. People called Ickes a pharaoh, on each sturcture a plack had his name.

The goal was to make the towns feel that the building were theirs, to get people used to Washington's hand. When FDR first elected on premise of "Forgotten Man" an economic individual being left out. This didn't catch on so he morphed it to Forgotten Groups. He divided country into groupings, still today the political ploy. His second term targeted these groups. The Wagner Act, Public Utilities Law, Social Security , and WPA (different from PWA) but much the same upon spending. The WPA kicked it up a notch as invented a direct form of propaganda. Writings and theater that supported Politics of New Deal i.e. "Triple A Plowed Under" or the Marxist play that caricatured private sector utilities executives "Power".  Also, art supported-we all remember the compelling photo of the migrant mother of Dorothea Lange....pure Washington propaganda.

It is hard for us, presently, to overestimate how welcoming this was to journalist, photographers, artist, sculptors, and actors to be on Washington payroll.

All the New Deal programs were not bringing the economy back to health. But business scared, utilities companies found even during Depression usage increased, yet their stock did not go up as FDR was attacking utilities as as enemies of the Forgotten Man. In fact Ickes was giving towns power plants in exchange for their commitment to use government power instead of private power.

Liquor the present of 1932 electorate (repeal of Prohibition) and target money spending was the way to buy votes. Pouring easy gov't money construction projects into battle ground states. Therein WWII history sealed the fate to celebrity status.

One of my Grandfathers' hated FDR and the "New Deal" and the other one drank the coolaid. The one who despised FDR felt that social security would go bust- that people would start to depend on govt and stop putting in the extra time, thought, and invest for the future because govt would be there for them. He also saw the destruction of the family who in those days provided mom (or dad) a place in their home until they passed away- now we move far away and do depend on others to do this. Yes- gramps did benefit some by WPA- they brought the road up out of the creek by elevating it and built a bridge (and yes carved the WPA name on it). They also built a larger bridge nearby across a more major stream- both bits of infrastructure are still in use today. Gramps knew full well he paid for this work through his road tax, property tax (paid tax to centerline of the road), income tax, etc-- not only that but up until this New Deal the township paid Gramps and other farmers to mine gravel from the creeks and haul/ place into the the county roads. Gramps kept saving the best he could figuring the govt would fail to support him.

The other grampa (who drank the New Deal coolaid)- had 13 kids, was a hard worker as a planerman in a stone mill, had a side business as a stone carver (never charged enough for his beautiful work), trusted the union, and trusted the govt for retirement. When the union went on strike without an assistance fund in the early 40's he had to walk thru the picket line to feed his kids and the union never let him work in the county again. Kids had to pay to bury him as he had nothing.

I am not advocating we should be like Mexico (no work-no eat) but have to side more with my Grampa who did not like FDR's raw deal- we as a people have learned to not save, not invest, enjoy time off as a right, and rely on govt for too much. I think we will be learning before too long that govt cannot be what family and church family can be when it is all said and done.