Sign in to follow this  
fleebut

E-95

I think the EPA test was a VW TDI with the head modified with a spark plug. My TDI is 19.5 to 1. I still think a 50/50 blend of biodiesel and ethanol would make quite a fuel in a diesel or maybe a natural gas Caterpillar that has a spark plug would be a good test engine.

I think the EPA test was a VW TDI with the head modified with a spark plug. My TDI is 19.5 to 1. I still think a 50/50 blend of biodiesel and ethanol would make quite a fuel in a diesel or maybe a natural gas Caterpillar that has a spark plug would be a good test engine.

Qoute from EPA link;

The engine designed for this work is derived from the

1.9L Volkswagen TDI automotive diesel engine, modified

suitably to accommodate port fuel injectors and spark

plugs. The stock inlet ports give a swirl ratio of about 2.0,

a factor that has been demonstrated to reduce the

tendency for knock [18]. Knock was further reduced by

modifying the stock combustion chamber to eliminate

potential preignition sites. A range of compression ratios

from 17:1 to 22:1 were tested in this engine with

methanol fuel, although the results reported below were

conducted at a nominal compression ratio of 19.5:1.

Go for it Cessna :D

I was reading an EPA study on ethanol. They mentions the diesel manufacturers are including spark plugs for new engine design. They do this for flex fuel capability. Ethanol runs better with spark ignition at typical diesel compression ratios.

An advantage to have flex fuel within truck fleet as we now know how expensive diesel fuel can get. Also, the truck companies probably gain credits from government for CAFE standards when introducing flex technology trucks.

May the engine manufactures discovered an easy solution to cold start up. To remove glow plug and simple adapt spark ignition for warm up. Wonder if they utilize the spark plug in addition to direct injection ignition or just for start up and running ethanol.  I bet these engines have capability to run e100 hydrous very efficient. Much like the EPA study posted about.

Or do you think the Diesel engine manufacturers simply adapting the low cost engine technology the EPA suggest (low cost port injection). Anyway the article sounding like this was a done deal and wholly adapted by industry. Has anyone else read of this?

Just saw this on the VW TDI forum

Local man has plan for ‘diesel-powered natural gas vehicles'

November 3rd, 2008 @ 8:06pm

By Randall Jeppesen

A local businessman says new technology could mean diesel trucks and natural gas could become a good combination.

Interest in natural gas powered cars spiked when we were paying over $4 a gallon for gas. But Phillip Toomey, who owns the ProChoice CNG company that converts engines to natural gas, says he's about to show off technology that makes natural gas even more attractive.

"It's gonna be an explosion of diesel-powered natural gas vehicles," Toomey said.

He says with a computer system that regulates a natural gas and diesel mixture, they've got a truck that doubled its gas mileage and has more horsepower.

Toomey hopes to convert a few diesel truck drivers to the idea when he demonstrates the natural gas diesel prototype on Wednesday, Nov. 12.

For information about the demonstration, click the related link to the right of the story.

Using no petrol with the alcohol makes it possible to reallllly improve mileage. Vaporized alcohol can be done since you don't have to worry about volatile gasoline components, some with a boiling point as low as 80* F to 220* F.

As for VW TDI, the engine runs with spark in town at low speed and as speed goes to highway the spark stops and the compression from the diesel part kicks in. Later.

CNG still has an issue with range, the tanks have to be huge compared to alcohol/diesel/gasoline tanks that offer the same range.  In a local system, such as a bus route or local trucking it would work ok since you return to the terminal for refueling often. Over the road would be a huge PITA since you would need to stop and refill the CNG tank much more often than diesel or alcohol. Then availability comes into play as well, since CNG has some pressure requirements, and would need new lines to be run to fuel stations, or the fuel stations moved to where the CNG is available. The tank size and limited range is why alcohol is the fuel of choice for my vehicles over methane, and methane is much easier to make in huge quantities.

So if he has the tank issue figured out, then why not use it? In local area shipping its probably viable as well.

Picken's would be jumping for joy at this news. It's just what he wanted. Is the point that he will get richer with the cng thing. One thing they never talk about is the massive amounts of water used to push the the low grade petrol up from the shale and the nat gas. To keep money in this country and troops safe it is a good thing but having an oil man having control over another fuel, is this a good thing. Later.

For Long Haul trucks using nat gas they usually go the LNG route since as a liquid they have it far more condensed and since range is not an issue for Short Haul- CNG. CNG is generally compressed to 2500-3000 psi whereas LNG is refrigerated. When importing nat gas from the middle east it is in the LNG form. Yes- that is right- LNG is imported primarily to the east coast (2-3 major terminals have recently been built). Natural gas is not just a US or Canadian source anymore though the LNG import thing is still relatively small and is mostly warmed back up and put into low pressure vapor lines.