Sign in to follow this  
misba

iPod and Bluetooth Taking Over New Cars

With the auto industry in a tailspin, automakers are scrambling to make their vehicles as attractive as possible. One way to do that is offer the connectivity consumers crave. iPod and Bluetooth integration, once the domain of luxury vehicles, has grown increasingly common and the 2009 model year marks the first time more than half of all new cars will be gadget-ready. The tech analysts at iSuppli say 58 percent of all cars sold in 2009 will offer iPod connectivity, while Bluetooth technology will be offered in 82 percent of all vehicles. What's more, one-third of all cars will feature USB ports ? up from just 16 percent this year.

-------------------

Misbah

Guest colchiro

Yup, I've got Bluetooth, usb and a headphone jack at the bottom of the center pillar, along with Ford's Sync and a 3 or 6 month trial to Sirius. Those jacks probably robbed me of a 12 outlet up front since I only have one, but there's one on the back of the console for the back seat.

I'd be more interested in how fast they are going to integrate hands-free cellphone  capability  into ALL

new models. I think most of the design work has already been done, let's see if the car companies offer

hands-free on their own, or are pushed to do it by gov't mandate. 

Around here,  there's a gathering effort to ban any cellphone use in vehicles that isn't hands-free-- texting, etc.

Too bad everyone is ignoring the fact that it is not the hands free issue involved in the cell phone usage but the distraction of multitasking.

It takes skill and practice to drive safely and manage a second stream of communications without one overloading the other. People get wrapped up in the emotional content of the phone call and turn off the part of their brain that is doing the driving.

Of course it is a marketing "feature" that sells regardless of the fact it does not accomplish the intended result.

Larry

Guest colchiro

Larry, you've hit the nail on the head.

The biggest problem is the people most likely to text to use a cell phone are the ones with the least amount of driving experience. :(

""The biggest problem is the people most likely to text to use a cell phone are the ones with the least amount of driving experience. ""

I guess at my age and my millions of miles on the road this must mean it is ok to datalog my car on a laptop while reading a newspaper , sharing conversation on hands free, and eating a sandwich eh? OR could this be an item too many- well maybe not if I am idling in a parking lot :D

I dont see a Problem Outlaw..looks like it's working out well for you  :D

driving-on-cell-phone-and-eating.jpg

""The biggest problem is the people most likely to text to use a cell phone are the ones with the least amount of driving experience. ""

I guess at my age and my millions of miles on the road this must mean it is ok to datalog my car on a laptop while reading a newspaper , sharing conversation on hands free, and eating a sandwich eh? OR could this be an item too many- well maybe not if I am idling in a parking lot :D