Sign in to follow this  
harrymday

new to E85 and non-flex

i drive a 2oo5 chevy silverado and i had about a third of a tank of reg gas and by gun i saw a place nearby that finally offered E85!!  Well i pulled in and topped off the empty 2/3 of my tank with the E85 (all the while thinking my Silverado was flex fuel) but before i left the gas station, i looked thru my truck manual, checked my VIN and found IT IS NOT flex fuel!  Well, i had places to go, it was raining, so off i went.  about 8 miles later my engine light came on.  I havent noticed ANY poor effects in my truck but that light is on, well i took it home, made some calls, and got on teh internet, and here i am.  the posts have been very helpful and i'm glad i had a third of a tank of reg. but what about that light?  what are the dangers?  should i syphon out some of the tank and refill Reg.?  Luckily i dont drive my truck alot nor long distances nor do i need it for several days, so i'll wait for info from the pros in here.  thanks for yalls time.

Hello Harry,

The check engine light is on because you are running lean. You are fine just top off with unleaded as you use up fuel .  With the fuel you already had in the tank then adding E85 on top your mix is probably around e55-e60

I believe in the Silverado your check engine light will rest after a few cycles of mostly unleaded ..otherwise after you burn off most the ethanol and add more unleaded simply remove the neg cable on your battery for a couple minutes that will rest everything

Or would you rather hear .. Oh my God Man what were you thinking..you just destroyed your truck..you know it wont even run after adding ethanol to it ..the engine is probably melting as we speak  :P

Welcome aboard Harry

i drive a 2oo5 chevy silverado and i had about a third of a tank of reg gas and by gun i saw a place nearby that finally offered E85!!  Well i pulled in and topped off the empty 2/3 of my tank with the E85 (all the while thinking my Silverado was flex fuel) but before i left the gas station, i looked thru my truck manual, checked my VIN and found IT IS NOT flex fuel!  Well, i had places to go, it was raining, so off i went.  about 8 miles later my engine light came on.  I havent noticed ANY poor effects in my truck but that light is on, well i took it home, made some calls, and got on teh internet, and here i am.  the posts have been very helpful and i'm glad i had a third of a tank of reg. but what about that light?  what are the dangers?  should i syphon out some of the tank and refill Reg.?  Luckily i dont drive my truck alot nor long distances nor do i need it for several days, so i'll wait for info from the pros in here.  thanks for yalls time.

harrymday  Not to worry at all.  Most of us in here have used a mix of ethanol for years in our cars.  I use about 60%  mix in my two cars.  Just add more unleaded to the tank and the light should just turn off.    Dangers not sure there is any danger other than maybe getting all the gunk and junk that the gas tank has in it, ethanol is a cleaning agent but other than that I see no danger that it will do to your vehicle.

Harry- you are not likely running lean at all--even though you have likely tripped a check engine light for "lean code bank 1" or something similar. From what some of us have seen in GM/Saab programming it appears that when the long term fuel trim is increased to satisfy fuel requirements of the engine (your computer is doing this automatically to adjust for alcohol's need for less air (it contains part of the oxygen needed for combustion-gas does not)) and this trim reaches +25% the computer is programmed to automatically set the check engine light even though the engine is running at stoich (correct air fuel mix). This is a bit of a safety measure to let you know the ECU believes something is amiss as things do not look "normal"

Dilute the tankful as possible with gasoline- CEL light should go off after a few miles of 35% or less alcohol

--my '96 5.7L Silverado and my 2000 Yukon 5.3 do not set CEL's even at 50%. ;)