Sign in to follow this  
Obormot

platinum spark plugs and ethanol

platinum can be a catalysator for burning of ethanol and the air.

my english is not very good, you can find it in google or yahoo.

i mean is there any official document from autoproduser or produser of spare parts, forbidding using platinum spark plugs with ethanol or E85? or information from real users about problems?

i remember i read something like that about SAAB, but cant find it.

I don't know about specifically platinum causing problems or benefits with ethanol. I avoid them on Subarus and use NGK's, but that's just my preference. I haven't tried a set with E85. After 3,000 miles on NGKs I've got a soft white coating all over the plugs, but no brown at all. It's still running rich.

I use NGK Vpower plugs. I have two years of daily use and they look brand new when removed minus the barely visible whitish/grey coating. I see no need for Platinum plugs. I also increased the gap .010 for a longer spark.

Hello (or should I say zdrastvui?) Obormot and all others!

I do not know about platinum spark plugs but I do know about iridium and PULSTAR plugs. Iridium and PULSTAR plugs increase slightly performance when driving on ethanol. Those plugs improve engine cold start and cold engine drive-away performance.

About SAAB. Do not put other spark plugs than car manual indicates. SAAB uses spark plugs (mostly NGK) as detonation sensor.

Have someone used Halo spark plugs when driving on ethanol? 

Hello (or should I say zdrastvui?) Obormot and all others!

I do not know about platinum spark plugs but I do know about iridium and PULSTAR plugs. Iridium and PULSTAR plugs increase slightly performance when driving on ethanol. Those plugs improve engine cold start and cold engine drive-away performance.

About SAAB. Do not put other spark plugs than car manual indicates. SAAB uses spark plugs (mostly NGK) as detonation sensor.

Have someone used Halo spark plugs when driving on ethanol?  

Hey thanks for that info on the Saab - three or 4 of us have these but none of us have converted them yet to E85- just running mid-blends in them.