Sign in to follow this  
Saxman

New E85 Station opened in Concord, California

This is awesome - the first public E85 station in northern California just opened August 4th in my town!  :D Here's the info from the Pearson Fuels website:

Concord

1001 Willow Pass Court

Concord, CA 94520

Phone: (925) 682-2100

Hours: Open 24 hours a day.

Notice: E85 can be found at dispenser numbers 19 and 20.

This new travel facility features a brand new Convenience Store and is the first public E85 station in Northern California, It opened to the public on August 4, 2008 and it is located right off of Route 4 at Willow Pass Court. The E85 is found on dispensers #19 and #2

Thanks Saxman ..I belive we already have it listed and ready for prices.. http://e85prices.com/california.html

This is awesome - the first public E85 station in northern California just opened August 4th in my town!  :D Here's the info from the Pearson Fuels website:

Concord

1001 Willow Pass Court

Concord, CA 94520

This new travel facility features a brand new Convenience Store and is the first public E85 station in Northern California, It opened to the public on August 4, 2008 and it is located right off of Route 4 at Willow Pass Court. The E85 is found on dispensers #19 and #2

How is this good? The Chevron station in Concord is ripping people off. E85 get 15% less MPG and they are charging more than regular. The price should be at a minimum 15% less than regular. On top of that E85 is heavily subsidized by the government. I have a flex vehicle, I want to buy flex fuel, but it makes no sense at these prices. The city of Concord is also getting ripped off because they buy here with taxpayer money so they can fill their quota of alternative energy.

This is awesome - the first public E85 station in northern California just opened August 4th in my town!   :D Here's the info from the Pearson Fuels website:

Concord

1001 Willow Pass Court

Concord, CA 94520

The city of Concord is also getting ripped off because they buy here with taxpayer money so they can fill their quota of alternative energy.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh....so maybe THIS is why JD (that station owner) is persisting with his unreasonably high E85 prices - he's the ONLY E85 station anywhere in the area and he knows the City of Concord HAS to buy it's quota of E85 from him no matter how high his prices are, so he's price-gouging ALL OF US as a result!  If that's true it SUCKS!!

Dammit - we REALLY need some competition to that station in the Concord area.

I'm going to try to find out who in the City of Concord is in charge of purchasing the E85 from that Chevron to let them know the bigger picture of what's going on.  I don't know if it'll have any effect, but if the size of their purchases are what's keeping the E85 prices at that station so high, they should at least be aware of the negative price impact their required purchases are having on the rest of the us.

Thanks for the post Flexford. 

I hope that is not happening, though I don't know the owner.  More likely, they filled up that big underground tank with more expensive E85 before the gasoline prices plunged to their recent lows.  Since they don't have a large clientele yet, it takes a lot longer to sell what's in the tank.  So, the price of the E85 can't drop because it costs more than they sell it for then.  Once it is emptied, a new truckload of E85 can be brought in at much lower prices.

I haven't met any fuel station owners that sell E85 that seemed to be E85 price-gougers.  I'm not saying they're not out there.  Just that it takes a HUGE committment in time and money (and paperwork) to get it installed in the first place, particularly in California.  Most of the owners I've spoken with seem concerned at making sure their product will sell.

I see the point about the government vehicles having to fill up.  However, I also see the short-term economic problem that is in effect.  I would give them the benefit of the doubt for a couple weeks to see if it sells out and drops in price when the new E85 comes.

I know I would be paying $2.50 if I could even get the E85, but unfortunately it's not here in Sacramento (yet).  $2.50 is a lot better than $3.50 just a few months ago!

If one of you guys know this guy, ask him what happens when he gets a load of gas and at 5pm the market drops 15 cents. The competition may drop likewise and if he does not take a small loss on his inventory quick- he may take a bigger one the next day. If this tact does not work then be more blunt and ask if he intends to always price his E85 inventory- even if gas goes up 35-40 cents while  the E85 is in the tank. The realities of the market is one must move at least some to keep customers and stay close to reality. This is why retail normally moves fairly quickly and large lot wholesale moves instantly as the board moves. That said however he is likely facing two additional issues: 1) he does not stay current on E85 market prices like he does gasoline (does not see the need or info is not easy to get from supplier) and #2) reality is that before credit- ethanol is higher than gas right now for his replacement cost (at least in the Midwest gasoline markets-but looking at his E85 price he appears about 40-50 cents high although I can only guess CA taxes). :( At some point this will change.

The government buyer may be somewhat less concerned than we consumers- he may be looking long haul (or at least yearly), picks up additional breaks that we do not get, and has to compare E85 to cost to convert and operate on LNG, CNG, propane, etc as he is likely already long out of compliance with Federal or State clean air mandates. I saw this at a AFV conference last year- they are very concerned about costs but on a bigger picture and longer term than today's spot price. All of us do root for these guys to have the lowest prices though- after all the government is us ;)

Hasn't this overpricing in the vicinity of a government agency been going on in Denver and Missouri too?

Don't you just love mandates....

The mandate for a govt agency's use is different than what Missouri's E10 mandate is but yes- the E10 mandate dried up nearby low freight cost ethanol in that state at least for a period. Missouri has the added issue of the lowest cost gas in the country right now.

As far as mandates or executive orders for govt use of alt fuels- they are a mixed blessing. On one hand they help provide some small gallonage for starting up a new station but you are correct in that some retailers get greedy and take advange if the agency does not apply clear rules for pricing. A few years back this was a problem in Wisconsin- retailers got a grant to put in a tank that was too small and then never bought E85 right but the agency was still obligated to buy. Competition cures this by making the high price guy irrevelant.

Without government mandates there would be almost no E85 pumps in California.  There are 2 in southern CA that are operated by philanthropic fuel station owners.  Other than that, each of the dozen or so others are there only because of government.  :(

It is a mixed blessing, but for California it is the only way for now.