Sign in to follow this  
zucccchini

Software or Kit

I have a 2004 GMC Canyon 5 cylinder pickup.  I did some research and found a good kit,,I think.  I AM NOT A MECHANIC.  So took my idea to my mechanic Unfortunately, he informs me, its an In-line 5 cylinder and everything has to come out of there to get this kit in there.  The cost will be well into a $1000 with labor and a $424 kit ???  Sooooo...I simply cannot afford that right now.  I have been reading the forums and noticed the mention of "on-board computer, software"...my question now is can a person purchase the software to apply, update or revise the on-board computer to accept the E85? and adjust for it.  I mistakenly called the local GMC dealer thinking he would surely know more than I and he just about had a heart attack.  He insisted that my truck simply was not designed to run on E85 and I just could not get there from here.  I did not argue  :D  What say any of you?  Is there software I can upload instead of a kit?  Just examining my options. 

Even we wish it was that easy to just upload a new flash to your car's computer. Automakers make that difficult on purpose to protect their investments. In theory a user supported or open sourced ECU sounds like a good idea. But, it would be a nightmare to diagnose for most mechanics since they don't write computer code.

If your kit is designed for your make and model of vehicle then you should be ok. Most kits operate for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, though. I've never heard of one for a 5 cylinder to be honest. Most kits have power & ground wires and additional wires to each fuel injector. They're about as complicated as a new stereo to install--if that stereo is made for your vehicle then they plug right in with little hassle.

Intermediate blends work for the rest of us, too.

Well, if you never plan on running gasoline in it again, there's always the option of simply installing larger fuel injectors.  You would need to know the flow rating of the fuel injectors that are in it, multiply it by about 1.4, and put that size injector in.  But again, it would be pretty much "E85 only" at that point.

You might see how much you can get away with unmodified before you get a CEL.

Also, contact a kit manufacturer and see if one of their 6 cylinder kits would work, just leaving the extra one disconnected.

Sounds like good suggestions so far.  It seems like we had some threads from people talking about putting in slightly larger injectors and boosting fuel pressure.  The basic thought being that there would be a 'sweet spot' where a larger injector + higher fuel pressure would allow use of E85, but the same injector with lower pressure would allow use of gasoline.

Generally the engine computer is programmed so that if it sees it's dumping in ~25% more (or 25% less) fuel on a regular basis it thinks something is wrong and sets an ECU code. Generally E85 requires about 25% more fuel - so that is why lots of people see ECU codes.  The trick would be getting a slightly larger injector and bumping the pressure a bit so that the ECU sees it only needs to add maybe 10% more fuel.

The main problem for you will be explaining all this to a mechanic - who, unless he is a close personal friend - will be much happier just doing routine shop work rather than putting an experimental fuel system on an untried truck and having to put up with tons of additional work and troubleshooting if it doesn't work right.

But I agree that maybe one of the add on systems would work...maybe run a 6 cylinder system and at the worst, put a resistor across the 6th plug to match the resistance of your selected injectors.  I doubt any E85 'box' would be that smart, but in case it is, that should do the trick.

Oh, I found a reputable kit out there that will go on it and it is even made here in the states.  I have finished that research.  I just cannot afford to turn the truck upside down and tear the engine out to put it in, as that is what my mechanic says the labor would equal. 

I'm trying to fudge some and find a little handheld box with buttons that plugs into my On-board computer to flash it to 'think' E85.  Since I wrote this original post,, low and behold they ARE out there..  :P !  They just do not have one for my particular truck.  :(  I am still waiting on a response from one of these innovative persons to tell me when he will have the box I need.  Am I going to run right out and buy it....don't think so.  Although the technology to tune is not new,,,I have a lot of money invested in my little mid-size truck which I love almost as much as my dog.  I will be taking my time.  I surely thank everyone for their input.  Anyone want to comment on the 'plug 'n play' for the E85 tune?   

I guess maybe there is some definition needed of what you are calling a 'kit'  Most of the kits we are talking about, you would unplug the wires to the injector and plug in the 'black box' then you plug in the injector wires to the black box...a few more wires for power and ground and you're done.

So either the kit you have found is substantially more complicated - but you could really get by with a plug-n-play kit, or your mechanic is feeding you a line of bull because he really doesn't want to deal with it - and wants a big premium payment to deal with it, or your mechanic really doesn't know jack about what you are trying to do and is just feeding you a line of bull out of ignorance.

At any rate, simply going to E85 should not require anything close to 'pulling the engine and turning the truck up side down'

Its an in-line and the injector rail is under the manifold and his little paper as to estimated labor hours says to replace an injector takes approx. 5.1 hours.  This place is pretty good but you pay to not have to go back and if you do they fix it.  Mechanic talked to support for the kit and they said they really want to try it.  But after the kit expense PLUS the labor to put it on...wow... :o  Soooo..I was looking for alternatives.  :D

If there is going to be another oil embargo or whatever...I just wanna be able to chose which line I get into...gas or E85 or go home and make my own.  I'm just examining all options.  If all that goes down...you won't be able to find one of these kits, good or bad. 

I've run into folks that have their injectors really buried and obstructions over, under and sideways and it is a major operation to install a plug and play unit. I sure like to reminisce of the days when I could climb in under the hood and have lots of room to work. Later.

I guess it could be...although you really aren't replacing the injector - you just have to be able to pull the electrical plug off.  Maybe you could get creative with a long pair of needle nose pliers or something?