• E20
    • E30
    • E40
    • E50
    • E60
    • E70
    • E85
    • E100

Ok, I went and double checked, the Speedway is infact labeled as a minimum 51% and Woodmans is labeled as minimum 70%, didn't have any good pics of the Thorntons pumps, but at one time they were labeled as a minimum 70%, just not sure about now.

Ok, I went and double checked, the Speedway is infact labeled as a minimum 51%

Which makes it even more interesting because if it wasn't legal labeling you'd think a large Company like Speedway would know that..

Speedway was cautioned, and provided the FTC language that does not allow it. Thus far, they have chose to leave it that way and until a regulator takes issue, doubt they change. They are taking full advantage of that ~34% range in ethanol to make the most money while all being sold as E85. The percentage of ethanol in each load they purchase could vary based on economics. I don't want people to get confused, the RFA, nor anyone else, is going to call them out to regulators, because we are happy they sell our fuel(s). The caution we provided was simply to make sure they understood the legality of labeling. In the end, I have helped hundreds and hundreds of stations put in E85 over the last decade. The number that care about regulations until they are an issue are few. Doesn't make it right. All I was trying to do was provide the background. Have a good day.

Thanks for digging up that old picture Dan... I was reading this thread, thinking about the previous discussion when James brought this up, and thought we had picture evidence.

So labeling selling something with "minimum 51% ethanol" as e85 is illegal... but it done openly my many stations, some of them MAJOR brands every day.  Illegal but common. 

They will continue to knowingly and openly defy the law, mislead the public and rake in profits with no legal repercussions.

Who is suppose to be policing this?  Why are they not doing this?  Why haven't these people who are ignoring their jobs not "taken to the political wood-shed" over their ignoring the laws?

good point there James, 

Brings up another issue (which is more politics so I'll just state my beef and drop it... :-[)

We have so damn many laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, directives... from so damn many agencies, authorities, commissions, jurisdictions...

You could probably be "guilty" of violating something at any given moment of any given day running a business, and not even know it.

It comes down to selective enforcement...  if "they" like you, "they" look the other way...  if on the other hand "they" don't like you... look out, get some KY jelly, and a good attorney... :-X

(this is not just one party here... both are guilty of this IMHO)

OK, rant done. 

I'm certainly not crazy about it, but in the grand scheme of things, what Speedway is doing with the ethanol content variability should be the least of our concerns. After all, no other chain added locations as quickly as Speedway did last year. Speedway has a number of incentives that make fuel buying there more attractive.

But we have a lot on our plate. Let's get to 4 or even 5,000 stations nationwide that carry E85. We need to all promote ethanol to the best of our abilities, and fend off those who are afraid of change and/or competition. We need to fight the proposed change in the 2014 RVOs, and figure out how to adapt if the proposed changes take effect. 

If folks still are interested, been out on vacation and just getting my desk cleared, here is the information that I referred to earlier on FTC labeling: http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus30-labeling-alternative-fuels

There are several links on color, type, font and size required, but it is pretty straight forward. If an alternative fuel is sold, in this case E85, it has to be labeled with the minimum ethanol content, which is also defined in the language here as 70%.

As for enforcement of the FTC requirements, it would fall under the Division of Enforcement, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C. 20580 (202.326.2996), or your state or local weights and measures office. If neither care, or knock on the right door, all is good.

If anyone has any questions on this topic, feel free to email me at rwhite@ethanolrfa.org.