Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Ford Escape getting 88 MPG on E85 ..

I got a 2005 Escape Hybrid and there is a third party vendor in Boulder--Hybrids-Plus--that can convert my vehicle into a plug in hybrid.  This would enable me to obtain nearly 40+ miles of pure electrical drive before requiring the internal combustion engine to kick on.  See the site for details.  The big drawback is the $32,000 price tag that includes installation.  Yes the newest lithium ion batteries are that expensive.  Mass production will drop the price tag to --unknown levels---.  Converting to E85 is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to do than the PHEV route.

Guest colchiro

You could get an off-peak rate for it, in theory. Then they can charge it when it's convenient for them. Would be more worthwhile if you have several of them in your garage tho.

I could see where a bunch of PHEV's going online at 5-ish could be a problem.

Did I mention that ND will have close to 200 wind turbines by the end of the year? We're getting ready to power your PHEV. 8)

Ford is working with a power company in Southern California and an Energy Institue on their PHEV Escape.  Rumor has it they are working on a "smart-monitor" that will cut off PHEV charging during peak electrical demands, will resume during low electrical demands and will send power back into the electrical grid as needed/desired.  Will have to wait for future details.

What does a plug-in Hybrid do to your home electric bill?

I seen on the Discovery Channel ..it was around 10 cents an hour

It's cheap UNTIL everyone is Plugging in and Demand  & or "Investments /Speculation" in Electric/Utility Companies  sends Electricty Rates through the roof

And since about 50% of the countries electrical generation is coal fired, it will in large part only move the source of pollution from the street to the power plant.

Larry

This would be a good time to start thinking about your solar powered parking structures , Dan.

Build these in So. California where the sun shines thru-out the day. Pull in during the morning,

have a full charge by the time you leave in the afternoon. Would be an off-grid system, too !!!