Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

How many E85 Stations in your City

How many E85 Stations in Your City (within 5 miles)  

141 members have voted

1. 1. How many E85 Stations in Your City (within 5 miles)

• More than 3

I live in Upstate NY.  I believe we do have the climate to grow corn.  I see plenty of field at different times of the year.  Why are there only 3 E85 stations in this state?  What is our govern doing to help us?  I see plenty of ads for E85 vehicles or converting your current car/SUV to E85.  Why would I do this if I couldn't by the fuel?

I live in Upstate NY.  I believe we do have the climate to grow corn.  I see plenty of field at different times of the year.  Why are there only 3 E85 stations in this state?  What is our govern doing to help us?  I see plenty of ads for E85 vehicles or converting your current car/SUV to E85.  Why would I do this if I couldn't by the fuel?

Hunter the the US has added over 400 Stations selling E85 the last 6 months and will add another 400 the last half of the year ..just a matter of time you'll start seing more Stations selling E85 in NY

I live in Lee County, Florida and we have NONE!!!  I have a minivan that runs on E85 and I am very angry that there are no gas stations with this particular fuel.  When my van runs on regular gasoline, it runs crappy.  Anyone know when this particular fuel will start spilling into other states, counties, cities, etc?????

It should start showing up down there. Florida had laws on the books until about a year or so ago that made public sale of E85 illegal so that is one of the reasons there has been little motion in your part of the country.

That law got changed but it takes time, and many of the older population down there probably has deeply embedded perception that "gasohol" is bad.

It will show up but it will be a while for them to catch up to other parts of the country.

Go to NEVC and they have a "we want E85" link on their site as I recall it, that they use to build a case to show prospective stations that there is a public demand. We are taking a grass roots approach here -- so go make some noise by phoning stations and politely asking them when they will start selling E85. Let them know there is a market and in other parts of the country people are having great success with the fuel. If they give you any heat, just point them here or over to E85prices.com and some of the hard core gear heads will do the heavy lifting on the the tech side of things.

(welcome to the board)

I used to double up on stations, I would call them and then a few days later drop in and ask at the counter with no mention of the earlier call. They will see each request as representing 5-10 others that are interested but not motivated enough to make the effort to ask about it.

Larry

There is a new one just opened in Spring Valley, NY. While they were working on the new pump they said that it'll sell for the mid $2 ($2.44-$2.60). Once they started selling, they are asking $3.39. For us on the border of NJ ($3.95) it really isn't a bargain.

I am running on my first tank and can see the obvious reduction in MPG. I was very happy originally figuring the savings will outdo the loss of mpg but now its a different story.

I am retiring to Kentucky.  For a State that was once famous for its alcohol...it has missed the boat on this one.  The nearest station to me will be 60 miles away.  What a crock.  I have written the State Energy Director and even visited the Cooperative Extention Service there who related perplexity at the flight of industry in the area.  I wish I had encouraged him concerning E85 and potentials of it for the farmers in the area. :( 

Perhaps the thrill was in making hooch in illegal stills- KY does not have many ethanol plants and that is too bad- parts of the state does need jobs. Which end of the Bluegrass state are you moving to?

This is a state that could really do a lot with cellulosic ethanol or some non-corn based ethanol. From my memory of the state corn is limited into certain areas such as south of Louisville heading towards Lexington and a few areas in the west. Perhaps the ag extension guys are looking at some other crop well suited to KY's soils and climate- sorgum perhaps??

Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana ethanol production is not far away and could easily supply E85 stations in your state- look at it this way- it is a whole lot closer than major oil production.

Moving to near Glasgow.  How would one find out about the specific laws in Kentucky in making your own alcohol for fuel?  Wouldn't want to get arrested over a still issue especially since I am a wine lover, not vodka. :-[

AHHH- wine would also make great Hooch- it's all ethanol anyway no matter if it's Boones Farm, a fine Bordeu, Miller beer, Corn Liquor, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker Black, --- it just varies in taste and strength :D :D

I would think that the first people to contact might be Ag extension and Dept of Revenue. If your state is organized with a Dept of Commerce- it might also be involved.

The Revenue Folks will not be fun but like the Federal BATF- they will want assurance you are legit and if they are in doubt they will be the first to come with the local Sheriff to "visit" for that assurance you are on the up and up. If I am not mistaken David Blume has some references to steps needed in his book "Ethanol Can Be A Gas".