this in

a state where your vehicle is subject to EPA inspection, or there could

be

unpleasant repercussions. The modification has not been approved by

EPA or

CARB. Get enough voters to turn over the congress and we can change

all

that...george

Interesting stuff Jeremy  .. Now for those of us that dont have the technical skills we'll need to go do our research

"The present popular usage of the term potentiometer (or 'pot' for short) describes an electronic component which has a user-adjustable resistance"

This would work good for someone who can't use a Flextek or flextune converter.  Or if you didn't want to spend the money for one of those converters.

Turning the resister to 0 ohms would let you use gasoline and setting it somewhere around 5K ohms will let you run E85.

Use a switch wired around the pot will bypass the 5K of resistance when the switch is closed.  Then you wouldn't have to try to re-adjust the pot back to where it was when switching back and forth from gasoline to E85.

The part that intriques me is the colder air runs leaner statement  .... I was not aware of that .. I always thought it was Volume of Air in ratio to volume of fuel .

which leads me to the question ..so what happens when it's hot outside ?  Wouldnt the resistor set itself to zero and you'd still end up running lean ?

A thermistor temp sensor increases it's resistance when it gets colder.  Colder air is more dense so it has more air when it is cold.  If you make the vehicles computer think that it has cold air by adding resistance it will make the fuel/air more rich by compensating by adding more fuel or by less air. 

The temp sensor resistance is linear.  Increases with lower temps decreases with high temps.  The pot would make it think it was cold out side (offset the temperature).  The temp sensor will still go up and down in resistance as it would of normally.(but with the pot's resistance added)  The vehicle would think it was getting more air than it actually is.  So it would adjust it self to a richer fuel/air mixture.

A thermistor temp sensor increases it's resistance when it gets colder.  Colder air is more dense so it has more air when it is cold.  If you make the vehicles computer think that it has cold air by adding resistance it will make the fuel/air more rich by compensating by adding more fuel or by less air. 

The temp sensor resistance is linear.  Increases with lower temps decreases with high temps.  The pot would make it think it was cold out side (offset the temperature).  The temp sensor will still go up and down in resistance as it would of normally.(but with the pot's resistance added)  The vehicle would think it was getting more air than it actually is.  So it would adjust it self to a richer fuel/air mixture.

Thanks Jeremy I get it now.. 

very interesting..maybe I'll test in on my wifes car  :D

Sorry guys.  While this may work on some vehicles, it won't work on all vehicles.  For example.  Beginning in 2004, Ford narrowed significantly the fuel adjustment range for the F150s.  This was quickly seen by a few pickup truck owners who installed higher flowing air intakes in their 2004s.  The added air quickly resulted in CELs P0171 and P0172 Engine Banks Too Lean.  So.  If this method were attempted with the 2004 - 2006 Ford F150s the result would not be comparable to those experienced below. 

It is; however, important to point out that testing of the Flextek has produced solid results so far since the Flextek does not attempt to adjust the PCM.  It instead lengthens fuel injector pulse widths.  Still,  I have my concerns about this as my reading has shown that this is done on a % basis and does not appear to be adjustable.  I am currently running a 70 / 30 blend in my truck with no adverse results.  The calculated resulting octane for this mix is 96.  The adjustments are being handled predictably with no apparent fuel economy loss at this time.  I will stay with this blend for another 1000 miles before move to straight E85 and continuing my test.  The flextek, while installed, is currently set to Gas.   

tschaid,

That's what I did when I installed my Flextek converter.  Installed it but ran regular gasoline to see if there was any changes, then stepped up the percentages.  I also did this before I installed it to compare before and after.  I also noticed running 50/50 gas/alcohol my car liked being on the A setting rather than G.

As far as the adding the resistor to the temp sensor,  the only time you would have problems would be if it was really cold out.  I would have to do a little research on the range of thermistors they use to see how much of an offset in temp this would make it see.  If it made the range too far out of wack the vehicles computer might think it wasn't working and set a code.

OK  I found this http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/tempsens.htm while looking for info on air intake sensors.

This guy did the same thing only using the coolent temp sensor.  He did it for gasoline fuel boost not to convert to E85.  I don't know if it would work the same as the air intake.  I would imagine you would get a code(coolent temp low)  if this was left in for a length of time.  So might have better luck with the intake air.  Still looking into this!