Sign in to follow this  
nmallare

1999/2000 Ford Rangers

Believe it or not, but Ford's 1999/2000 Ranger [3.0L, V6] engines are FFV.

From what I've read over at e85fuel.com, if the 8th character in the VIN is a V, it is indeed a FFV.  Mine has the 'V', but I, personally, verified with my local Ford dealer.

Good news for a poor college kid!

Nick

Yeah, I will try to keep track of mine and post when I have some numbers to work with.  Unfortunately, most of my miles will be Interstate miles, so they might be slanted a tiny bit.

Nick

I just filled up my 99 Ranger today and noticed a difference in it's lower RPM pulling. Specifically, I was driving over the continental divide and I could get up some of the steep sections in 4th gear without bogging down. Before I would run about 3800 RPM in 3rd getting up the steeps. The E85 was doing good.

Also, the ranger 3.0 flex engine is the same block as the flex Taurus but it isn't the same engine. I'm pretty certain the ranger uses a different cam which changes the power band. There are probably other differences but I don't know it that well.

That is pretty typical, for some reason E85 pulls load better than gasoline will, and is one of the reasons you get better fuel mileage than you would expect just looking at fuel BTU content.

Larry

I just filled up my 99 Ranger today and noticed a difference in it's lower RPM pulling. Specifically, I was driving over the continental divide and I could get up some of the steep sections in 4th gear without bogging down. Before I would run about 3800 RPM in 3rd getting up the steeps. The E85 was doing good.

Also, the ranger 3.0 flex engine is the same block as the flex Taurus but it isn't the same engine. I'm pretty certain the ranger uses a different cam which changes the power band. There are probably other differences but I don't know it that well.

Hey- it is fun to learn new things every day- I did not know that about the cam selection in the Ranger. I did hear this comment about low end torque repeatedly in the Rangers- what bothers me though is that i see the Taurus owners as consistent repeat customers but not so much on the Rangers? Why? Are they calling for way more fuel than the Taurus? I would like to see more posts on this from nmallare, saabdriver, and mDub.

Hey- it is fun to learn new things every day- I did not know that about the cam selection in the Ranger. I did hear this comment about low end torque repeatedly in the Rangers- what bothers me though is that i see the Taurus owners as consistent repeat customers but not so much on the Rangers? Why? Are they calling for way more fuel than the Taurus? I would like to see more posts on this from nmallare, saabdriver, and mDub.

Well, my issue is merely that I have not been out to Salina for over a month.

I did get the opportunity to have one true tank of E85, both city and highway, and I averaged right around 16 MPG.  With gasoline, I average around 20 to 21 MPG.

So, I figured that I lost 4 MPG over 18 gallons, which gave me a loss of 72 miles.  I then figured that to be 3.6 gallons more of E85.  With E85 at $2.89-9 and gasoline at $3.89-9, I calculated:

$2.899 * 21.6 gallons = $62.618 USD for Ethanol

$3.899 * 18.0 gallons = $70.182 USD for gasoline

Another thing to consider.  I bought my truck from my late grandpa, and had no idea it was E85 until a year and a half after I bought it.  If he knew, he never mentioned it to anyone.  In general, I think that a lot of 1999/2000 Ranger owners just do not know that they are E85 ready.

Nick

I don't think the Ranger used a different camshaft than the Taurus.  The horsepower ratings are similar between the two vehicles, and it'd be silly for them to run two different cam profiles in the same engine if you look at it from a manufacturer's viewpoint.  I have a friend that could give me the specifics on both engines, and I can find out for sure if they were the same or different.

I just switched, and on my first full tank saw only about a 12% difference in mileage. There's a sticker from a performance chip company on the inside of the gas door. This was there when I bought it and may explain the smaller than usual difference.

Also. I have a 4WD XLT crew cab, so my mileage on gasoline won't be as high as some other Rangers before switching to e85.

I'm happy though, as I was having to run midgrade in this truck to keep it from pinging. Since there's a 24% difference in midgrade/ethanol prices in this area, I'm coming out ahead. I'm also not sending money to the Arab states ;)