Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

How does Colorado do it ?

http://e85prices.com/colorado.html

For awhile it seemed as if it was just the Western Convience chain that was offering the great 25-30% discount but you look around and see Kum & Go Stations , Farmcrests and Short stop stations etc...  It has to start at the ethnaol Plant and from what I see they are all corn ...

Their gasoline tax is 40 cents (including fed) which is slightly higher than normal.. I looked for any tax discounts fro E85 but couldnt locate any if there are..

Colorado and Corn. I once thought Wi. had lots of corn, But once getting lost on a Co. plateau because there was so much corn I thought I was in a giant corn Maze, And traveling thru Iowa and Nebraska and expecting corn stands ( like kool ade stands ) would be every where to buy sweet corn and nothing. I stopped at a couple farms to ask who had sweet corn for sale and was told to go to Co. all their corn was feed corn or popcorn. So that May be how Co. does it, I had no idea how large corn production was there.  :o  Later.

I think you'll find that Colorado is a corn-deficient  state.  What ethanol we get for fuel is

shipped in from elsewhere.  Cattle feedlots and poultry take up pretty much everything

we grow here, and then some.  We're blessed with 300+ days per year of bright sunshine

which helps the corn ,  but have little in the way of water to support it.

Development along the Front Range is taking alot of the water now, and what was a

tenuous water situation between Ag and city populations ( and Kansas , downstream)

has now been pushed over the edge.

A significant amount of our corn crop ends up as silage, so there's no chance of eeking

out any starch content from it, at least not yet. Perhaps this will get some scrutiny now.

Of the 3 major ethanol plants now in production in the state, I'm not certain that any of

them contribute to the E85 fuel inventory... but I know there is at least one blending

terminal operation in Denver... The Western Convenience chain has done a great job

of pricing the product at a competitive rate, and forcing all the other , pretty much,

to follow suit...

So considering all of that greengenes it becomes even more interesting and noteworthy that they are still able to provide such a great prices spread ..and begs the question if Colorado which needs to import (added costs) all it's grain to make ethanol can keep prices and prices spreads so consumer friendly then why aren't other Midwest States where corn and ethanol plants are aboundant not able/willing to offer as good a deal

I guess rather than coming out and asking 'em (Western  Convenience folks) point blank

how they do it, I could try to calculate how much E85 we're talking about, and get a feel

for what % of product this represents from the local ethanol plants.

If they offer up, say 10% of their production to blending E85 , that'd be 15 M gals/yr.

+40  stations in the state now selling E85 , if each station took  one tanker /week,

we'd be darn near that number already.. Could it be that easy??

I actually DID talk to one of the Western Convenience reps a few weeks ago

asking him what the prospects were for more E85 on the Western slope of

Colorado.  He said there probably won't be much more than is in place now,

which means the 3-4 stations that are either in place, or about to be put online.

He also was quite troubled by something he couldn't exactly explain , other than

to mention it was "political".. I wonder if this is the topic mentioned in the other

post, regarding BP snarfing up all the east-coast ethanol... 

I also wonder if this means the end of our spot on  E85prices chart "Top 10"