Sign in to follow this  
RDKamikaze

Software tuning for Toyota?

RDK, checked out the WL site and read their pitch but couldn't find a picture of their unit. It sounds a lot like mine and Rick has a point about the ability to adjust and who knows you might have to travel north sometime and indeed the cold start comes in handy and the ability to adjust for your car's unique ECU parameters is a plus. I'm very happy with mine and thats from someone from central Wisconsin and it does get cold here.  :o, Just moved back from Yuma. BTW The folks I got mine from were right on with advice and tech support when I was adjusting for better mileage, all questions were answered promptly in a way I could understand and trust me I need simple. I connected half of the connectors and the wife hooked up the other half. Hopefully someone with a WL unit will get back to you.  Later.

I'm finding a picture of the WL unit right now.  It seems to be really simple which is nice, but another random question just popped into my mind.  It has a knob on the inside that goes from 1 to 10 for the injector pulse timing I guess, 1 being shorter and 10 being longer.  If I play with that, would I get the same results but better gas milage if I moved it say up or down a notch?  Which way should I start going first, if so?  I imagine lower, because it's less fuel but I have been wrong before.

Here's the only picture I could find, it's on their ebay auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Cylinder-Nippondenso-e85-Conversion-Kits_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQihZ023QQitemZ360040669260QQtcZphoto

Guest colchiro

RDK, I think you'll be happy with this unit. From their install pdf, "In some cases, a check engine light will illuminate on your car?s dashboard. This indicator does not pose any potential harm to your vehicle and there is no problem with continuing to drive while this light is on.

To correct this problem, the White Lightning system has a potentiometer located on the inside of the box for rich/lean adjustments. Simply unscrew the 4 screws on the top of the box to access the potentiometer (the white & blue dial located on the bottom of the circuit board, directly below the code starting with ?E85?).

You will notice that the range is from 0 - 10. 0 being the most lean setting; 10 being the most rich. All units are shipped in the position of number 5."

Also: "we recommend that you drive your vehicle on straight gasoline for at least 60 miles. As long as the check engine light does not come on after 60 miles, your vehicle is now ready for E85." During this time I'd also check to see if you get the same mileage as before (not worse). I wouldn't rely just on the fact you didn't get a CEL.

The only connections they mention are to the fuel injectors and a connection to ground so all you can change is the pulse width. I would think the main advantage here would be to tune for bi-fuel capabilities. Any mpg changes by changing this would be a quirk of the ECU tuning, IMO. I would think you could still improve your mileage by a few mpg, by tuning some of the other sensors or adding an extender to your front o2 sensor, which you seem capable of doing. ;)  If you have a decent break on the unleaded/e85 pricing (> 50 cents), you should get a similar $ per gallon as unleaded.

They don't mention cold-start capability, which someone else here had on their unit. I think you should also check out that kit. Maybe someone else remembers what brand that was.

Something else to think about, do you currently use a fuel with ethanol? Like I mentioned previously, ethanol loves to clean the crud out of your tank. My Rav4 has the fuel filter buried in the tank, costs over $100 and isn't as easy to change as a conventional inline filter. If I were you, I'd start using E30, just to start cleaning that up. (Estimate how much to fill and add 1/3 of that as E85, then top off with unleaded.)

FWIW, my Rav4 used the Toyota connectors.

bdca_1_b.JPG

The inside of that unit. You can see the adjustment at the bottom.

aa6a_1.JPG

That would be me with the FullFlex Platinum. On mine the 6 position is the one for best of both worlds gas and e85 for the folks that don't have a constant supply of e85 and don't want to go under the hood to tweak. Since I have a constant supply of e85 I have it set just under 5 for best mileage 18.5 out of 20 on nl. Alex at FFP sets the ones on his Hummer's at 4.3 for best milage each car has it's own sweet spot. I don't mind going under the hood ifffff fffor some reason if I'm in an area without e85. Later.

BTW, It might be the same unit but without the cold start. I remembered that the clearing price for w/o cold start was $369. Might just be a different distributor.